Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, DeepInLove said:

Hi,
My husband has this status "Case is ready to be scheduled" from last month on his I-751 application. The extension letter for 18 months that he got is expiring next week. He has to travel to meet his parents soon. Please help what can be done to expedite the interview, or at least have something so that he can travel and come back safely.

What is the number to call to get an appointment for stamp? Please help.

My status has been like that for 8 months. You can’t expedite it. Call 8003755283

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Was planning on going to india with extention letter. Just wanted to see if anyone from to/from india had any difficulties with extention letter.

I have already read in the past comments that most of the airline staff knows about it but sometimes its different in different countries.

I had some previous bad experience flying to US from india where airline staff dint knew that the new Immigrants dont need to carry the package with them anymore and they wouldn't let me board the flight. 

So wanted to hear if anyone went with extension letter to/from india ?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I traveled with an expired gc and extension letter I was overthinking A LOT....I just came back in the States and it couldn't have been smoother... the agent didn't even check my letter, not even a question.... same at the check in at the airport in Europe ... 

On 4/26/2017 at 1:28 PM, AK_2014 said:

Interesting to see it actually spelled out in an official document! I'd not seen this one before. Thanks for posting. If only the DMV, etc. knew and believed this everywhere... 🙂

DMV here in Atlanta are fully aware of the ROC extension letter. In fact they are the one who advised me to bring on I-797 once I receive it.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone here knows the answer to my question: I am currently abroad doing an internship in South America, travelling with my expired GC and extension letter. Someone mentioned to me that I the border patrol won't like this when I come back home and that they might question me and give me trouble getting back in. I don't understand how it would be a problem though. I don't earn any money, if that matters, and I went through a reputable organization (which isn't based in the U.S. though). Is volunteering/interning abroad somehow a problem I was not aware of while in the ROC process?

I am freaking out a little as I know I will be asked why I was abroad (as usual) and I assumed it would be fine. If anyone could put my mind at ease, that would be great.

11 hours ago, Tali'zorah said:

travelling with my expired GC and extension letter. Someone mentioned to me that I the border patrol won't like this when I come back home

This is the purpose the Extension Letter.  CBP can always lookup your status on the computer.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide a data point here. Travelled with the expired greencard and the extension letter and I had no problems. Airline employees and the government employees at departure immigration in the country I departed from knew well what it was. Once back in the US (JFK), stood in the regular US Citizen/Perm Resident line and the officer stamped my passport with "ARC" and let me in. No questions/no secondary screening. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:09 AM, SS_SS said:

Just wanted to provide a data point here. Travelled with the expired greencard and the extension letter and I had no problems. Airline employees and the government employees at departure immigration in the country I departed from knew well what it was. Once back in the US (JFK), stood in the regular US Citizen/Perm Resident line and the officer stamped my passport with "ARC" and let me in. No questions/no secondary screening. 

Can you provide which airports you traveled with?

On 5/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, Ksenia_O said:

Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Turkish, KLM/Delta/Air France  - they are all well informed about all forms of I-551. 

I am planning to take either Turkish airlines or Lufthansa, so are they aware of these 24 month or 18 month extension letter? will there be an issue?

Thanks! 

On 11/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, Ophelia83 said:

Can you provide which airports you traveled with?

Hi, Doha and Qatar airways. Any airlines with flights to the US will know, including Turkish.  I've flown to the US using Turkish from many destinations (Accra, Istanbul, Beirut, Kathmandu etc..) when I had my advance parole (which is much more obscure than the extension letter) and they knew everything, no hiccup. So it should be fine wiht your extension letter too. That's actually the purpose of the extension letter, so you should travel without any worry. Good luck with your trip. 

Edited by SS_SS

23 hours ago, SS_SS said:

Hi, Doha and Qatar airways. Any airlines with flights to the US will know, including Turkish.  I've flown to the US using Turkish from many destinations (Accra, Istanbul, Beirut, Kathmandu etc..) when I had my advance parole (which is much more obscure than the extension letter) and they knew everything, no hiccup. So it should be fine wiht your extension letter too. That's actually the purpose of the extension letter, so you should travel without any worry. Good luck with your trip. 

agh wonderful to hear that! thank you so much! I was really worried and paranoid! but I am relieved to hear that they know the procedure 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.