SE18

uscis is giving me problems with K1

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

USCIS accused me of forging my fiancee's name (Filipina), though I was in the Philippines and saw her sign the documents.

also, . I received three notices of decision (dated Sept. 21, 2016) regarding my I-765 Application for Employment Authorization for my fiancee and 2 kids:

The decision USCIS made was, "Documentation submitted shows you have not made a valid entry into the U.S. as a nonimmigrant fiancée. You have not established eligibility for the benefit sought. Therefore, your application is denied."; they cashed my check for $1200 and didn't return the money.

third, USCIS asked for a copy of my divorce from a Japanese national 35 years ago, which was lost and non exists in Japan, according to Oyoshi Yoshiyasu, who is a clerk at Naha Family Court, Okinawa, Japan, telephone from the U.S. is 01181-98-855-1000.

According to the Japanese Embassy, https://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-marriagedoc.html

"If one of the partners is a Japanese citizen, marriage documents will only be kept at the city or ward office for one month or one year. They are kept one month if the Japanese partner registers his/her marriage at his/her office of permanent domicile, and one year for other cases. After that, marriage records are forwarded to the nearest Legal Affairs Bureau, where they are kept for 27 years."

After 27 years, the divorce decree no longer exists.

In short USCIS refuses to allow me to marry any foreign national.

The Japanese spouse I divorced in 1981, was while I was in the Marine Corps in Okinawa, Japan. I submitted my service record book entry showing the divorce and stopping of benefits but they said that was secondary evidence.

It's sooo exasperating. Don't these people have any humanity and common sense?

Timeline

USCIS accused me of forging my fiancee's name (Filipina), though I was in the Philippines and saw her sign the documents.

also, . I received three notices of decision (dated Sept. 21, 2016) regarding my I-765 Application for Employment Authorization for my fiancee and 2 kids:

The decision USCIS made was, "Documentation submitted shows you have not made a valid entry into the U.S. as a nonimmigrant fiancée. You have not established eligibility for the benefit sought. Therefore, your application is denied."; they cashed my check for $1200 and didn't return the money.

third, USCIS asked for a copy of my divorce from a Japanese national 35 years ago, which was lost and non exists in Japan, according to Oyoshi Yoshiyasu, who is a clerk at Naha Family Court, Okinawa, Japan, telephone from the U.S. is 01181-98-855-1000.

According to the Japanese Embassy, https://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-marriagedoc.html

"If one of the partners is a Japanese citizen, marriage documents will only be kept at the city or ward office for one month or one year. They are kept one month if the Japanese partner registers his/her marriage at his/her office of permanent domicile, and one year for other cases. After that, marriage records are forwarded to the nearest Legal Affairs Bureau, where they are kept for 27 years."

After 27 years, the divorce decree no longer exists.

In short USCIS refuses to allow me to marry any foreign national.

The Japanese spouse I divorced in 1981, was while I was in the Marine Corps in Okinawa, Japan. I submitted my service record book entry showing the divorce and stopping of benefits but they said that was secondary evidence.

It's sooo exasperating. Don't these people have any humanity and common sense?

Can you add your timeline. You state K1, but you are already filing for EAD??? Do you mean CR-1?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Japan may not have kept the divorce degree but the military should have a copy / they keep records forever ( i know as my dad died over 20 years ago and i just got copies of some to help my mother in a nursing home)

the signature must not have matched one USCIS has seen on other documents / many people sign in many different ways but it is best to watch how you sign for immigration and sign same as national ID or driving license or passport

$1200????

is this a K 1 as stated if so, you need to go and marry / if Japan allows the marriage then should be safe

Which document do they state you forged

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

It sounds like you are filing Adjustment of Status while your fiance is still in PI. If she was in the US (which you need to be for an EAD) then she would sign the forms in the US.

Also, USCIS says that she has not established a legal entry. Where is she?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If your partner is a Japanese citizen, then the facts of a marriage or divorce in Japan are also recorded on their family registry, the koseki. This record is kept in the ward or city office where the Japanese Citizen is permanently domiciled, and can only be obtained directly from that office. The Embassy or one of Consulates cannot obtain such documents on your behalf. You will need to contact the issuing office directly.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It sounds like you are filing Adjustment of Status while your fiance is still in PI. If she was in the US (which you need to be for an EAD) then she would sign the forms in the US.

Also, USCIS says that she has not established a legal entry. Where is she?

This.

You couldn't have gotten an approved K1 without the divorce paperwork, so why are you filing for an EAD?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is so confusing. You are filing for a K-1? What stage are you at? The I-129F petition would be with the USCIS. The actual K-1/K-2 visa applications would be with the Dept. of State(DoS).

You are having a problem with the USCIS, and filing the I-765 for your fiance(e) and her 2 kids? Are they in the US already? Why are you filing for the EAD without being married and filing for AOS too? Also, $1200 for what? Filing for the EAD before filing for AOS would have a fee of $380, and times 3, that is only $1140.

For what form is the USCIS asking for your divorce decree?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Timeline:

May 2016: met fiancee in Manila where she and 2 daughters live (never came to US).

July 22: filed K-1 and Employment Authorization for fiancee and her 2 daughters, 18 and 20. My friend who married Filipina said to do it b/c that's what he and his friends did and it was approved. Her 2 daughters want to accompany her mom to the US. Problem is, one daughter will turn 21 on Nov 5, thus making her ineligible to come over on the K1 so requested expedited visa before she "ages out."

Aug. Expedited K1 denied and the 3 employment authorizations denied by USCIS. They did not return my money to me. Now I know the employment should have been done after they arrive in the US. Also at this time USCIS made a request for evidence, accusing me of forging her signature, and asking for my divorce decree. My service record book entry that I copied and sent to USCIS was denied as lack of primary evidence.

Sept Petitioned the National Military Record Center asking for a copy of my divorce decree. Never heard back from them.

Oct (now) awaiting reply from USCIS regarding my answers to their request for evidence. Fiancee and daughters in Manila still waiting. They got their passports and international drivers license and just need the K1 visa to come over

Ok first you are misinformed

You cannot seek those services together. EDA is once she's in the states. Expedite because she's 21 is not an expedite criteria.

:guides:

And uscis does not have to return monies to you because you miss field forms. They still had to work on them and rule you out due to you missfiling.

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Good that you've found this website now before you went even further down the wrong path.

EAD as you now know comes much later in the process - after the K-1 is issued and they have arrived and you have married. If working immediately is important to your wife, you should get married first (anywhere in the world) and file a CR-1 spouse visa. With this visa type your wife will be able to work the day she arrives.

Take time to read the guides here for fiancé and spousal visas and make the right choice for your circumstances, not what other people told you they did.

The daughter over 21 will likely not be able to come with her mother. But at 21 I didn't want to live with my mother either so it might not be such a bad thing. If your wife wants to bring her later, she can petition for her when she herself becomes a permanent resident. This will take a lot longer though. Current wait for unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents from the Philippines is around 10.5 years. She would have to remain unmarried for the whole duration of the wait.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Timeline:

May 2016: met fiancee in Manila where she and 2 daughters live (never came to US).

July 22: filed K-1 and Employment Authorization for fiancee and her 2 daughters, 18 and 20. My friend who married Filipina said to do it b/c that's what he and his friends did and it was approved. Her 2 daughters want to accompany her mom to the US. Problem is, one daughter will turn 21 on Nov 5, thus making her ineligible to come over on the K1 so requested expedited visa before she "ages out."

Aug. Expedited K1 denied and the 3 employment authorizations denied by USCIS. They did not return my money to me. Now I know the employment should have been done after they arrive in the US. Also at this time USCIS made a request for evidence, accusing me of forging her signature, and asking for my divorce decree. My service record book entry that I copied and sent to USCIS was denied as lack of primary evidence.

Sept Petitioned the National Military Record Center asking for a copy of my divorce decree. Never heard back from them.

Oct (now) awaiting reply from USCIS regarding my answers to their request for evidence. Fiancee and daughters in Manila still waiting. They got their passports and international drivers license and just need the K1 visa to come over

So are really really misinformed about this whole process and you really need to sit down and read, read and read some more otherwise you'll get a chock when they get here also!

(For your information they may not be allowed to drive for long before they get their EAD in the US, it depends on your state)

Also you said you have responded to their request for evidence?? What have you sent them since you still don't have the divorce decree?

If they don't get what they want they might deny the petition or if you are lucky a new RFE.

Your fiancé is a K-1, her two daughters are K-2´s.

You are making this process way harder then it has to be and way longer then it should be. They are pretty fast right now but when you don't do it right YOU just drag out the time.

Also NO they won't return the money you lost because you filed for their EAD and it got denied. That's why I say do you own research before you just do something. AOS when they get here will be very expensive for you so you better get your duck in a row before you do anything else.

They're not eligible for EAD until they've arrived in the US. It's not a "should do" it's a "have to do". Furthermore, in reality, they're not going to have an EAD worth anything until after you're married. That's because they'll get a 90 day entry stamped in their passports. EAD can be issued before you're married, but will only be valid for as long as their legal entry is (90 days). It takes about 90 days, or more, for them to issue EAD. So really, you'd pay the filing fees for nothing (again).

International drivers' licences more than likely aren't acceptable in your state for the long term (but check)... they're meant for tourists/short term visitors, not residents. They will also expire after 90 days.

I would focus on just the visa and worry about the work stuff later, especially because it sounds like you've got a timeline problem with the older daughter. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to the end goal, and trying to do that has already cost you a lot of time. They won't accept aging out as an expedite criteria. This may not happen in time for her.

If a divorce decree isn't available (I second the suggestion that the military may be a good place to look, although my recent experience is that they don't keep much. A veteran friend of mine died this summer and we contacted them looking for a will or any legal next of kin and they came up with exactly nothing to help), you're going to need to see if getting married would solve the problem. If not, you'll need to involve your Congressman's office to try to straighten it out. Make sure you call the local office, not the DC office. The local office folks are there for this exact reason--to help constituents with problems with federal agencies. They have contacts at USCIS whose job it also is only to talk to congressional representatives and is by far the quickest route to a real, actual, clear answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Timeline

They're not eligible for EAD until they've arrived in the US. It's not a "should do" it's a "have to do". Furthermore, in reality, they're not going to have an EAD worth anything until after you're married. That's because they'll get a 90 day entry stamped in their passports. EAD can be issued before you're married, but will only be valid for as long as their legal entry is (90 days). It takes about 90 days, or more, for them to issue EAD. So really, you'd pay the filing fees for nothing (again).

International drivers' licences more than likely aren't acceptable in your state for the long term (but check)... they're meant for tourists/short term visitors, not residents. They will also expire after 90 days.

I would focus on just the visa and worry about the work stuff later, especially because it sounds like you've got a timeline problem with the older daughter. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to the end goal, and trying to do that has already cost you a lot of time. They won't accept aging out as an expedite criteria. This may not happen in time for her.

If a divorce decree isn't available (I second the suggestion that the military may be a good place to look, although my recent experience is that they don't keep much. A veteran friend of mine died this summer and we contacted them looking for a will or any legal next of kin and they came up with exactly nothing to help), you're going to need to see if getting married would solve the problem. If not, you'll need to involve your Congressman's office to try to straighten it out. Make sure you call the local office, not the DC office. The local office folks are there for this exact reason--to help constituents with problems with federal agencies. They have contacts at USCIS whose job it also is only to talk to congressional representatives and is by far the quickest route to a real, actual, clear answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

It's a international driving permit and mine is valid for a year. But as i said above and as you write won't help them much since it's the state law for DL there counts.

It's a international driving permit and mine is valid for a year. But as i said above and as you write won't help them much since it's the state law for DL there counts.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how long the international driving permit is valid for, what matters is if the home state will accept it and for how long. My state will allow you to drive on a foreign driver's licence (and I assume an international permit? It is not clear) for 6 months....unless you become "gainfully employed" in which case you must get a Virginia driver's licence. I assume that this has something to do with some states' history (or current) attempts at preventing illegal immigrants from getting driver's licences.

Just putting it out there, because it sounds very much like OP was attempting to set things up so they were good to go with work permits and travel independence on Day 1, which is a nice thought but is unfortunately really not realistically possible.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.