kikih

Closing the distance and extreme anxiety

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all. We are at interview stage and I feel fairly confident we will be accepted. I am currently with my SO in his country ( I'm from UK and he is in USA) for vacation and despite previously loving everything about the US, just realistically knowing I'll be moving here in a matter of months has my anxiety through the roof. I am truly terrified about finding a new job and settling in to a life here and I am noticing such big differences culturally. My extreme fear has me questioning whether I'm making the right decision and I've been argumentative and difficult throughout my vacation, picking fault with minor things. The time zone hasn't ever bothered me much but suddenly I feel very far away from my loved ones and when my SO works and has his focus on his business I feel very lonely and can't help but wonder how I will cope long term until I make friends- if I make friends!

I'm looking to hear other people's experiences - can anyone relate to what I've said? Is this normal or indicative of bigger worries? Has anyone successfully closed the gap and overcome the challenges despite completely freaking out?

Any UK to USA couples in particular who can tell their story?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America from K1 Process and Procedures - as this the topic is about starting life in the US~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Those are pretty common fears. They have nothing to do with how good of a relationship you have with your fiancé. One of the things I'd suggest is to use part of your remaining vacation time to start meeting people. Have your fiancé make plans with some of his friends and their girlfriends. I'd ask him to limit it to one couple at a time to ensure you aren't left out. Or the two of you could host a small dinner party to get to know his friends. Who knows, you might find one or two of them that you really get along with. Knowing you have one friend can make a big difference in how comfortable you feel. Also, start working on updating your resume so it will be ready when the time comes. It's going to be a big change but just take it one day at a time. And when you get home, do all those things you've been meaning to do with your family. You know, the ones you keep saying you'll do tomorrow :)

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am a practiced extrovert, and whenever I'm in a situation like yours, I find I have to practice like crazy, as awkward as it is to do so. I wish you luck as you adjust to your new home and meet new people. By the way, despite being with me in the US for 3 months in 2013, my wife took several months to adjust when she moved here as an immigrant in July 2015. Five months later, she's slowly accepting and enjoying the things around her. You are not alone.

One more thing, from your husband's perspective, I would recommend easing up on him a little, if you can endure it. If you can find someone from home to be your sounding board for complaints, it'll go a lot better on your relationship.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Ah please, you're only coming from the UK, you even speak the language!!!

My wife came from Russia, so who has the larger differences?

I'm being mean and apologize. Your feelings are very real and it is normal and should be expected.

Hi all. We are at interview stage and I feel fairly confident we will be accepted. I am currently with my SO in his country ( I'm from UK and he is in USA) for vacation and despite previously loving everything about the US, just realistically knowing I'll be moving here in a matter of months has my anxiety through the roof. I am truly terrified about finding a new job and settling in to a life here and I am noticing such big differences culturally.

Are you coming from a large city to a small town? or vice versa? Where in the US will you be living? That can make a big difference in how you view things or how you are viewed.

My extreme fear has me questioning whether I'm making the right decision and I've been argumentative and difficult throughout my vacation, picking fault with minor things.

Stop that. Remember when you two began your talk about international relationships and immigration to the US? About how your relationship would have to endure extreme pressures? I hope you both realized this, because it is true and it is happening.

The time zone hasn't ever bothered me much but suddenly I feel very far away from my loved ones

Skype video is a great thing. Call back home often.

and when my SO works and has his focus on his business I feel very lonely

Now I'd want to speak with the USC. He needs to understand that he can not merely fly you here and let you loose, despite his work. He needs to devote special time to you during these first bunch of months (which haven't even officially started. I know I gave up many outside interests once my wife and young son came here. He needs to make concessions also; it's his party too!

and can't help but wonder how I will cope long term until I make friends- if I make friends!

Depending on where you live, this will not be a problem. Don't sit at home.

I'm looking to hear other people's experiences - can anyone relate to what I've said? Is this normal or indicative of bigger worries? Has anyone successfully closed the gap and overcome the challenges despite completely freaking out?

Normal feelings. BOTH of you need to work on this. Don't hold back and inform him of your feelings.

Thank you.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I think what you are feeling is really common. I started to feel like that when I first learned a little more about US employment conditions and how different the working culture is to the UK and Europe. The US went from being the fun,vacation place to the new permanent reality.

It does get better, and then sometimes it gets a little worse again, and then it gets brilliant. And then years down the line you can still feel pangs of homesickness but they go away again and then it's brilliant again.

I think the key is not to panic too much when you do feel anxious or stressed and know that it will pass.

I've been here seven years now and last week I had a 'homesick' moment when I couldn't get all the ingredients for the Christmas cake or decent Christmas Crackers or the ability to buy a bottle of gin in the supermarket. But I'm over it now. And there are lots of wonderful things about the US to balance out the fact that it's not the UK!

Kikih,

Sorry you are feeling this way. I live in the US and she lives in England and we are about at the same stage as you, awaiting for our interview date with medical booked for the 12 of January. She has come here 4 times on the 3 month visa so she is used to me and the US and we wanted to make sure of us. On her first stay she did get home sick about a month in missing family and friends. I had to work so she was stuck in the apartment during the day and it was doing her nut in as well as making me feel sad.

She started to find things to do during the day like using the apartment amenities (pool, walking paths, workout room) and she started volunteering to walk dogs at the local shelter a couple of times a week where she made some new friends. We also adopted two that keeps her company too. She had to take public transit to go places during the day which in itself was an adventure she says. She made friends with this lady from the shelter that would pick her up and drop her off from the shelter too which was so great. She is a care giver by trade so when she gets back here she wants to volunteer at some senior centers until she can start working. Her biggest complaint so far is that she can't find a good Chinese take away or good Indian restaurant and shes not crazy about the american style in cloths, especially mine! Its still hard for her at times but I do what I can to help her out. We try to go out as much as possible after work even if just going food shopping to get her out of the house for awhile. She calls and Skype's her family and friends a couple of times a week and she enjoys my friends so much that now we now call them our friends. We are very active so we ski and sled ride in the winter, swimming and hiking in the summer as much as possible to name a few. After my mum pass on we are planing to move back to England for a while to be with her mum.

There is no quick fix but please give it some time before you make any decisions. You will make new friends on your own and as a couple as most of us blokes here are friendly and love the English accent. Volunteering seems to have helped her the most as well as going places after work together. I hope a little bit of what we do might be helpful to you. I also hope your SO will be there for you and help with the transition period. When I visited her I found the people I met in England were for the most part just like here, same attitudes, same problems, just drive on the wrong side of the road lol. Its a crazy world for people like us who fell in love with someone from a different country but take life as an adventure and take it together.

Our Timeline AOS Timeline

10/24/13 - Met online 04/30/16 - Sent AOS Forms I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131, G-325a, G-1145 with check

01/16/14 - Fell in love online 05/07/16 - Received text & email with case#

05/03/14 - Met for first time - He went to England 05/09/16 - Check cashed for $1,070.00

08/07/14 - She came to USA 1st time 05/13/16 - Received NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

12/28/14 - She came to USA 2nd time 06/03/16 - Biometrics Appointment

02/10/15 - Officially engaged at the Grand Canyon 08/01/16 - Email & Text saying I-131 & I-765 Approved

04/27/15 - She came to USA 3rd time 08/06/16 - Received letters of approval for I-131 & !765

07/14/15 - She came to USA 4th time 08/12/16 - Received Combo card in US mail!

10/14/16 - Received RFE for proof of marriage

K1 VISA Timeline 10/15/16 - Sent in RFE paperwork

09/23/15 - Sent info to Rapid Visa 10/19/16 - Received text - AOS APPROVED!!!!

10/13/15 - Conformation from USCIS - NOA1 10/22/16 - Received hard copy of I-485 approval

11/06/15 - I-129F Approved! via USCIS Website! 10/22/16 - Received text - Your 2 year Greed card has mailed

11/13/15 - Received hard copy in mail - NOA2 10/25/16 - Received Green Card in the mail! - Yahoooo!

11/23/15 - Received by NVC (called on 24th)

11/24/15 - Called NVC and got LND#

11/30/15 - Case status at NVC: READY!

01/12/16 - Medical completed!

01/23/16 - Packet 4 received

01/27/16 - Interview - APPROVED!

02/05/16 - Visa In Hand

02/11/16 - POE - Ohio

04/02/16 - Wedding - Yahooo!

Hi all. We are at interview stage and I feel fairly confident we will be accepted. I am currently with my SO in his country ( I'm from UK and he is in USA) for vacation and despite previously loving everything about the US, just realistically knowing I'll be moving here in a matter of months has my anxiety through the roof. I am truly terrified about finding a new job and settling in to a life here and I am noticing such big differences culturally. My extreme fear has me questioning whether I'm making the right decision and I've been argumentative and difficult throughout my vacation, picking fault with minor things. The time zone hasn't ever bothered me much but suddenly I feel very far away from my loved ones and when my SO works and has his focus on his business I feel very lonely and can't help but wonder how I will cope long term until I make friends- if I make friends!

Thank you.

I think one important thing is always to communicate in a relationship, and in a decision as big as this one is, it's important to tell your fiancé your feelings and talk it out. I'm not entirely sure what cultural differences you're finding (of course I know some exist) but in the grand scheme of things, they are typically small and can be worked through. It was hard for my husband to leave his family, but I made sure to let him know that as much as it pained me, I would never want him to have any regrets. He has had moments of sadness and missing his loved ones, but Skype and phone calls do help in the long run. The other thing is to keep yourself busy and remember that even once you immigrate on a K1 you'll have a long way to go. You have a wedding to sort out, AOS paperwork to file, and another period of waiting. Finding a job will come much later. Work on settling in first slowly - making his home our home.

Make time for yourselves and each other. Find things you can do together, and when husband is at work, by yourself. Keep in mind though your fiancé/husband needs to be mindful of how big an adjustment it will be, and that he cannot shirk his responsibility in simply assuming you'll be fine on your own.

If all of it is too much to take, and you don't communicate how you feel, it is better to sort it out now before it is too late.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

if all you want to do is focus on the stuff you miss, like marmite or eastenders or whatever you will end up in a negative spiral

I never watched soaps, but I love Marmite. And i can buy it here, at my local grocery store in North Carolina!

My wife however tried it in England during the trip where I met her. She thinks its disgusting, even when I explained its a byproduct of brewing, so its essentially beer on toast.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

I never watched soaps, but I love Marmite. And i can buy it here, at my local grocery store in North Carolina!

My wife however tried it in England during the trip where I met her. She thinks its disgusting, even when I explained its a byproduct of brewing, so its essentially beer on toast.

Haha

My lovely wife tried Marmite, the look on her face was fantastic.........................feet and butt she calls it!

Mind you I think the same about Peanut Butter..................the devils sperm!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.