Amine87

Airport security checks

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi everyone, first of all sorry for posting here, I really don't know where to post this kind of topics.

I'm a K1visa holder nd my flight to the US is for Dec 15th. I've read that the TSA agents can ask you to turn on your laptop sometimes, that you're not allowed to bring a dead battery, and that they can ban you from your flight. My problem is, that my laptop works without a battery (my battery died like 1 year ago), I have to plug it in a source of power, it works like desktop computer.

The question is: if I bring my laptop without it's battery (since its a dead one), will it be a problem? they won't find it strange? what if they ask me to turn it on?

I cannot buy it's battery here in Algeria, got my laptop while I was student in France, it's impossible to find it here. nd I dont wanna give up on it, since it's really an expensive one.

It's really stressing me out, plus I'm comming from a North africa country...so..it's really freaking me out. I don't wanna miss my flight or anything cuz that.

Thank you in advance for your help nd advices.

Edited by Amine87

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Quit sressing

never heard of them asking for computer to be turned on

but if they want, they can find a power cord

i know security is getting tighter because of recent events

but this has not happened with anyone i know coming in

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry about computer/check/function during TSA checks, could be applicable to many visa processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I've never been asked to turn on my laptop and I've never seen anyone else being asked to turn it on. I know they made this rule a few years ago but I don't think they enforce it. You should ok.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

The other possibility is to pack your laptop in your checked baggage. I did that often, both on international and domestic flights, because I wanted a laptop later but didn't need to carry it on the airplane with me. If it's in your checked luggage, it's fine -- it doesn't need a battery or need to be turned on.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

I've never been asked to turn on my laptop and I've never seen anyone else being asked to turn it on. I know they made this rule a few years ago but I don't think they enforce it. You should ok.

Thanks for your reply. I hope so so too.

Timeline

The other possibility is to pack your laptop in your checked baggage. I did that often, both on international and domestic flights, because I wanted a laptop later but didn't need to carry it on the airplane with me. If it's in your checked luggage, it's fine -- it doesn't need a battery or need to be turned on.

I thought about it too. But you know, airlines often load bags on top of one another in the cargo hold of your flight. Hundreds of pounds of pressure in conjunction with the low temperatures in unheated cargo compartments may lead to cracks or damage to electronic devices, so I'm not so sure about it hehe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only time I have seen it is where they suspect somebody who is seeking to enter on a non immigrant visa. There was a post the other day when they found printed job information, I have heard of them look for similar things on Computers etc.

None of that applies to a K1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I must be one of the few that always have to turn my stuff on! Just this summer they had me turn on my iPad and the kids ipods after a visit to sweden!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

dear amine i have been going thru airports with laptops and all kinds of electronics in the last couple of years and they never asked me to turn it on so dont stress anymore and just enjoy your new life here and welcome to America!!! my fiance should be here soon and he is also from Algeria so im sure he will be happy to know he isnt only one here from there !!! congratulations and good luck

Timeline

Sometimes they do that randomly, my fiancée have been asked to turn her laptop on during a domestic flight from California to Boston. Being without battery, with the recent events, coming from MENA country, and having my connexion flight at CDG airport, Paris, makes me feel worried and really uneasy. I'll bring it with my carry-on luggage, and hopefully I'll have a smooth trip, my connexion time is only 2 hours... Don't have time for any delays hehe

Timeline

dear amine i have been going thru airports with laptops and all kinds of electronics in the last couple of years and they never asked me to turn it on so dont stress anymore and just enjoy your new life here and welcome to America!!! my fiance should be here soon and he is also from Algeria so im sure he will be happy to know he isnt only one here from there !!! congratulations and good luck

Thanks, it makes me feel a bit better haha, good luck to you too, hope you'll have a happy life:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.