prindell

Refused--Application returned for review

77 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I, the USC petitioner, came to the Philippines to be with my fiancée and her son for their interview on November 30 (2015). The interviewer stated that we have a rock-solid case, but had no choice but to refuse the visa and return the case to DOS for review, because I was remiss in including an additional page to list all my previous marriages. I only listed the last two, (the space provided on the form), with the understanding that they ask, only to determine that I am free to marry. In my thinking, the most recent divorce documents would suffice for that purpose, but I included the last two, since the form allowed for it. I didn't think it was necessary to disclose all prior marriages/divorces.

There was no intent to misrepresent as marriages/divorces are public record and when asked during the interview how many times I was married before, I answered honestly and provided the legal dissolution of marriage documents for all prior marriages. The "NOLO" how-to book I was utilizing did not say to add an additional page if more than two prior marriages and further explained the reason they ask for prior marriages is to determine that I am currently free to marry, thus my inaccurate understanding. Anyway...

The Interviewer instructed us to contact the Texas Service Center (where our application was originally processed) for further information/instructions.

I am at a loss of how to do that, when and what to ask. I'm also concerned that our previous "approved" status will expire during the review.

To add to the challenge, I can not (for financial and personal reasons) return to the USA until the K-1 process is completed. I fear that I won't receive pertinent information, RFE's etc. if mailed to my US address--will they always send a duplicate correspondence by email too (as that is currently they only method I can be contacted).

We are grateful that we are together while we await, but we don't know how to proceed. We have a wedding planned for February 14, 2016.... do we postpone it or maintain it in hopes that all will be resolved and a visa approved in short order?

How long do AP's typically take for matters such as this? I assume the consulate will add a note to the application that all information was provided during the interview?

Should I be pro=active and submit the additional page with the information on the other previous marriages or wait until I receive a request, if any?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance and guidance provided.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

When a K1 is returned it's basically dead.

If they only wanted additional paperwork they wouldn't send the case back they would just let you send in the missing documents.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

sorry that you are in this predicament. my understanding with regards to this case is that once the embassy returns file to USCIS is that USCIS will just allow your file/approval to expire without reviewing it. you can always exhaust everything that you can do like proactively calling USCIS and inquire about your next move but no guarantees. i have read in this website before that most often than not once USCIS receives your file back from the embassy is that they will not review your file and just let it expire. unfortunate but i think it's true. i suggest postponing your marriage plan for february since 3 months may not be enough to get issued a visa if and when USCIS reviews your file, reaffirm the approval and send it back to the embassy. my other suggestion is to refile the k-1 application and this time provide everything that they need. with that good luck and hoping for a positive result the next go round.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is not AP. Your "approved" status is over. Now it's back to square 1. As the CO informed you, contact the Texas Svc. Center to learn what, if anything, you can do to get the K1 petition approved again.

If it's going to take a while I'd suggest marrying in the PI and filing the spousal visa there.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. True, this is not a 221g situation, but the consulate interviewer mentioned it could take up to 90 days. It seems he is expecting decisive action will be taken... Or was he just trying to let us down easy?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

returned K1's by current policy are declared expired and dead. You are back at square one. New K1 or marry and CR1

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks for the empathy, it is genuinely appreciated. I will try calling the NCSC shortly to attempt to get more information or guidance. It should an interesting exercise from a cellphone in the Philippines. Would it be quicker to apply for a spousal visa or another attempt at a K-1 visa?

Timeline

Best to follow the USCIS form instructions over some site like NOLO.

---------

One would think a "how to" legal guide written by a team of immigration lawyers would serve to clarify the process, not add confusion and mislead. Live and learn, i guess?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I, the USC petitioner, came to the Philippines to be with my fiancée and her son for their interview on November 30 (2015). The interviewer stated that we have a rock-solid case, but had no choice but to refuse the visa and return the case to DOS for review, because I was remiss in including an additional page to list all my previous marriages. I only listed the last two, (the space provided on the form), with the understanding that they ask, only to determine that I am free to marry. In my thinking, the most recent divorce documents would suffice for that purpose, but I included the last two, since the form allowed for it. I didn't think it was necessary to disclose all prior marriages/divorces.

There was no intent to misrepresent as marriages/divorces are public record and when asked during the interview how many times I was married before, I answered honestly and provided the legal dissolution of marriage documents for all prior marriages. The "NOLO" how-to book I was utilizing did not say to add an additional page if more than two prior marriages and further explained the reason they ask for prior marriages is to determine that I am currently free to marry, thus my inaccurate understanding. Anyway...

The Interviewer instructed us to contact the Texas Service Center (where our application was originally processed) for further information/instructions.

I am at a loss of how to do that, when and what to ask. I'm also concerned that our previous "approved" status will expire during the review.

To add to the challenge, I can not (for financial and personal reasons) return to the USA until the K-1 process is completed. I fear that I won't receive pertinent information, RFE's etc. if mailed to my US address--will they always send a duplicate correspondence by email too (as that is currently they only method I can be contacted).

We are grateful that we are together while we await, but we don't know how to proceed. We have a wedding planned for February 14, 2016.... do we postpone it or maintain it in hopes that all will be resolved and a visa approved in short order?

How long do AP's typically take for matters such as this? I assume the consulate will add a note to the application that all information was provided during the interview?

Should I be pro=active and submit the additional page with the information on the other previous marriages or wait until I receive a request, if any?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance and guidance provided.

Sorry to say you screwed the pooch by not listing all previous marriages and including copies of all divorce decrees or death certificates for each. http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f (use additional pages as necessary).

You have no approved status anymore (you can fly now), petition was returned to USCIS. It is do over time. Yes you could wait to hear from USCIS, but it would be easier/faster to notify USCIS to withdraw that petition and start over.

Thanks for the reply. True, this is not a 221g situation, but the consulate interviewer mentioned it could take up to 90 days. It seems he is expecting decisive action will be taken... Or was he just trying to let us down easy?

Your case was a refusal, you failed to disclose ALL past marriages during the petition process, your petition is toast as it stands.

Thanks for the empathy, it is genuinely appreciated. I will try calling the NCSC shortly to attempt to get more information or guidance. It should an interesting exercise from a cellphone in the Philippines. Would it be quicker to apply for a spousal visa or another attempt at a K-1 visa?

Which is better, K-1 or CR-1 time frame wise? K-1 is faster.

IF.. if you have lived in the Phils for 6 months and got married during that time you could do the CR-1 process with a DCF (Direct Consulate Filing) that process takes about 60 days once you have the necessary marriage documents.

Best to follow the USCIS form instructions over some site like NOLO.

---------

One would think a "how to" legal guide written by a team of immigration lawyers would serve to clarify the process, not add confusion and mislead. Live and learn, i guess?

From watching processes over the years on this forum, if you want something screwed up - use a lawyer. Lawyers for the most part seem to be clueless about the actual visa process... they make as many mistakes as a novice going on his own. I personally would add that book you bought to the - DO NOT READ LIST

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

This is not AP. Your "approved" status is over. Now it's back to square 1. As the CO informed you, contact the Texas Svc. Center to learn what, if anything, you can do to get the K1 petition approved again.

If it's going to take a while I'd suggest marrying in the PI and filing the spousal visa there.

When I check the status on the CEAC site it returns two reports, one for the refused status and another stating administrative processing. Is this just a standard entry that means nothing or is there hope the case is actually being reviewed and an updated determination will be provided eventually?

If i marry here, can I file a spousal visa application from here as well? And do I do that through the US Embassy?

Edited by prindell

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I check the status on the CEAC site it returns two reports, one for the refused status and another stating administrative processing. Is this just a standard entry that means nothing or is there hope the case is actually being reviewed and an updated determination will be provided eventually?

If i marry here, can I file a spousal visa application from here as well? And do I do that through the US Embassy?

The visa application was refused. The petition was returned to USCIS.. that is the AP part.

Yes you can file a spousal visa from the Philippines, but one requirement is having resided in the Phils for 6 months or more, then you can do a DCF which are very quick. Most of the 6 months would be used waiting for your marriage certificate to be recorded with PSA, this can take upwards of 4 months.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

How do I contact the Texas Service Center directly? I find info to first contact NCSC then after 30 days I can email to TSC to follow-up, (with 21 days wait for reply), but i can not find any other way to contact TSC otherwise. Does a method exist?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.