ChrisandKissy

How do I buy my fiance a plane ticket to the US?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Expedia (www.expedia.com) generally offers great low-fare tickets internationally with multiple options. You can often select your seat (from those available), select round-trip options, choose departure times AND you can name the passenger (if different from the purchaser).

The real advantage is, by purchasing online through a third party vendor, you can bypass a lot of the red tape and expenses usually encountered when going directly through the airline. Expedia accounts are free and simple to setup. All you need is a valid credit card / debit card / check card.

Edited by Gregory&Dyn

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I use TripAdvisor.com. It will compare prices on all travel sites (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) Also, for the future, you can have it alert you when the air fare you are searching is cheaper.

Timeline

I think the issue is that the Philippines is a high fraud country and they want to verify that the credit card is not stolen. I will try some of the suggested options. Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know what happens. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I actually got a great fare on Delta for her right from Delta Airlines. They had no problem issuing the ticket in her name while I paid with my debit. Plus they offered assistance if she needed to transfer to a different gate for a connecting flight for no extra charge. The only thing is that they will not tell you if she boarded, the law and for her safety, they will only say that she checked in.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

no problem buying for husband thru cheapoair.com

I used my card in my name and his name for ticket

In the past i have purchased tickets for my mom (different last name also)

Have you tried Expedia? I had bought several international flight tickets for relatives in the past through Expedia with no issues.

This was my experience as well. I booked one way tickets for my fiance and her son to the USA through Expedia with no problem at all. I travelled to Russia, before the newest Cold War, and flew back with them. (Delta was wonderful; they upgrded all of us to First Class as a wedding present!)

Is there more to the story?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

that's the case when you buy from the airline directly. as long as you buy from an agent off/online it's OK.

Completely untrue. I buy from Air France and there is an option that the cardholder will not be the one traveling. The cardholder just fills out their own information. Maybe that's true for other airlines but I highly doubt it considering the amount of people who need to buy tickets for others on a daily basis....

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

buy online directly from the airline, use google flights to search prices then go directly to the airline's website, by far the cheapest prices I have been able to get. Google flights checks all prices from all airlines, it cuts out the middle man like priceline and expedia, sites that tack on money for using them. Try it, you will be presently surprised and without a doubt you can buy tickets in someone else's name, I've done it many times

Edited by mimolicious

I am having trouble buying a ticket online for my fiance to travel to the US. Airlines want the name on the ticket to be the same as the name on the credit card. My fiance is going to the airport to see if she can buy a ticket there and I will just sent her money. I am concerned that we will not get the great price that I can get on the internet. Has anyone else solved this problem?

Yup. That happens. You need to find a travel agency in her home country, and then tell the TA this is the flight you want... the one you picked out from the website. They should be able to find the exact flight/ and connections and be able to issue you at the same price, more or less. Send them a cheque or bank transfer into their account.. basically, anything but a credit card. A completed payment with no recourse and airlines will be fine with that.

They do that because of identity theft problems. Someone can fly with a ticket purchased online with a stolen credit card and once they flew, there's no backsies, you see.

IR-1/CR-1

NOA-1 December 16, 2014

REF- June 24, 2015 ---------------190 days since NOA 1

RFE Respond- July 5, 2015 ----

NOA- 2 July 24, 2015 ------------- 220 days since NOA 1

NVC Sent- August 04, 2015 ----- 11 days since NOA 2

NVC Rcvd- August 18, 2015 ---- 14 days later
Case ID & IIN obtained- August 21, 2015 (over phone)

DS 261 completed- August 25, 2015

AOS Paid- August 25, 2015

Documents Sent- September 28

IV Paid- September 28, 2015

Document Scan- October 2, 2015

DS 260 Completed- October 5, 2015

Case Complete- October 29, 2015 --------- 27 days since Case Complete

Interview Scheduled- November 14, 2015 (Interview date- December 15, 2015)

Medical Done- November 23, 2015

Interview- December 15, 2015

Result- Need joint sponsor. Liquid assets not accepted.

... Looking for joint sponsor now.

Visa In Hand- .....

POE- .....

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Off Topic; topic is about purchasing airline tickets and not about any immigration process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Liberia
Timeline

I am having trouble buying a ticket online for my fiance to travel to the US. Airlines want the name on the ticket to be the same as the name on the credit card. My fiance is going to the airport to see if she can buy a ticket there and I will just sent her money. I am concerned that we will not get the great price that I can get on the internet. Has anyone else solved this problem?

That is really strange. You should be able to purchase a ticket for anyone. As long as they are legal to travel. There are many travel sites on line. Maybe try a different one. You can also call the airline directly to purchase a ticket, prices probably won't be the same as online purchase.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

That's odd because I bought a ticket for my friend to visit me from Mexico and used my card. They issued the email to me with the itinerary and I forwarded that to her. I did need to have her full name and DOB but after that no problems. That was with Delta. For sure people pay for tickets for other people all the time (parents, companies, etc)

Possible the website is not clear what they are asking for?

Which website is it?

Timeline

The airlines I was trying to buy the ticket online thru were Asiana and Korean Air. My fiance went to the airport in Cebu and was able to get the same price as online. I sent her the money through Xoom and she paid cash for the ticket. Problem solved. Thank you for the help everyone.

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Off Topic; topic is about purchasing airline tickets and not about any immigration process.

I would say it is about the immigration process. This is my fiances flight from the Phils to the US on the K1 Visa. Could happen to others. Just my opinion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not about immigration it's about credit card fraud. Some airlines require the credit card that you purchased the tickets with as proof. Last time I had to do this was with Sri Lankan Airlines. I also know Thai Airways requires this too.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014