laurainr

Help?!!? K1 Question

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am considering having my fiance stay in Mexico until our set wedding date of January 2nd and I will go down there and have the religious ceremony with him and then we will both come back to the US, he will enter using his k1 visa. Since the k1 (I believe) is valid for 6 months and you only get 1 entry. This would solve our problem, right?

Would there be any conflicts having the religious ceremony before the US civil ceremony ? He got the k1 just 3 days ago. So I heard he doesn't have to enter the US for 6 months until it expires.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I understand but let's say he comes here next week and marries me and then goes home for a while. Can I continue his paperwork and he gets that parole card while he's in mexico?

No. I had already answered your question about this in your other thread in the AOS forum > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/563556-approved-for-k1-visa-now-what-happens/?p=7793236

Your age has nothing to do with the mistake you made on your own. You should have researched every aspect of the visa he applied for before applying. You didn't, and now your plans, which you should have never gone ahead and paid for, are messed up. A lawyer cannot get around the laws and make it happen for you, but go ahead and consult with one to see what they say.

Your options>

He can wait to enter, if the expiration date on his visa is past his sister's wedding date.

He can come as soon he gets the K-1 and you marry as soon as possible after he arrives and file for AOS, EAD and AP. Then you hope the EAD/AP card arrives in time.

He can skip the sister's wedding and hope to have the AP in hand by at least Jan before your wedding plans.

You could also ask for an expedite of the AP. Does not mean it will be granted, but cannot hurt to ask. Check the USCIS page about how to file for one after you apply.

You can keep your current plans as is and he can leave for MX in Dec., stay there until after your second wedding and honeymoon, and then begin a new immigration process and file the petition to get started on obtaining a spousal visa for him to return to the US with.

I am considering having my fiance stay in Mexico until our set wedding date of January 2nd and I will go down there and have the religious ceremony with him and then we will both come back to the US, he will enter using his k1 visa. Since the k1 (I believe) is valid for 6 months and you only get 1 entry. This would solve our problem, right?

Would there be any conflicts having the religious ceremony before the US civil ceremony ? He got the k1 just 3 days ago. So I heard he doesn't have to enter the US for 6 months until it expires.

When was his medical? The K-1 visa should be valid until 6 months from that date.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok.. I see. So he could come next week to marry me legally in the courthouse. And then we would file for AOS. And then he can go back to Mexico for his obligations. And then when his AOS card comes I take it to him in December when I go for our religious ceremony.

Will this work? I'm sorry that this is so confusing to me. I'm just trying to do what's best for us. :'(

This is why I'm contacting the attorney. I need facts and quick :(

A lawyer isn't going to give you any better information. They'll likely cost you more in the long run and screw up somewhere down the line. LISTEN to everyone else's response. The people on this forum know the facts, they've already told you. BUT you're not listening too well. Like others have said being 21 and busy is no excuse. We're all busy with life and being on this forum you have access to a world of knowledge from those already going through this process. And to be quite honest this is a problem seen time and time again, people who just DON'T do the research. Getting the K1 visa is just the first step, there's so much more that comes afterwards and if you don't heed the advice and read the very valid information in the guides and like you, spend money too hastily without reading or asking then I'm afraid the fault lies with you.

But good luck with whatever you guys choose. Hopefully it'll work out!

h3aDm4.png

ZfQlm4.png

ut7Km8.png

iqv4m8.png

K-1: NOA1 to Visa Approval - 8 MONTHS, 19 DAYS

AOS: NOA1 to Green Card Approval - 3 MONTHS, 16 DAYS

ROC:  - NOA1: January 16, 2018; Case Received at Local Office: January 5, 2019;...

Citizenship:  - In Progress Estimated Completion Time: July 2020 (18 Months)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

His visa should have an expiration date on it. That will help determine your plans. I still think if the visa is good for long enough that he wait in Mexico until everything is finished. Just make absolutely sure that the wedding is only a religious ceremony and not in any way a legal ceremony. Nothing should be filed with the government recognizing the wedding. If it is the US may decide you are married and his visa is no longer valid.

Consulting with an attorney is never a bad idea but remember some of them will lie to you or promise you the moon to get your money. An attorney cannot change the law nor can they speed up the process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I really am sorry that there is no easy answer to your questions. All of us on this forum have sacrificed time, money and at times our sanity with this entire process. The sure things you can count on in is : in this process, nothing goes according to the "proper" timeline we would like....

Both my husband and I are hard working professionals (as are many people here) and at the end of the day we had to decide what our priorities were...we missed several special events in our personal lives since starting this visa process but we decided from the beginning that this process was a priority.

Be thankful you found this site at this point in your journey and not after you broke the law and lost even more money. My process is going on two years shortly and we thought it would be done in a year and we would have been living together by now.

The information provided by all these people in this forum is quite helpful and useful.

All the best as you start your new life :goofy:

CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2013-08-01 (L)(L)

I-130 Sent : 2013-09-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-09-01

I-130 Approved : 2013-10-01

NVC Received : 2014-04-30

Received DS-261 /AOS Bill : 2014-06-05

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-06-15

Send AOS Package : 2014-06-30

Submit DS-261 : 2014-07-05

Receive IV Bill : 2014-07-15

Pay IV Bill : 2014-07-15

Send IV Package : 2014-07-20

4 RFE about the 1-864: 2014/08 to 2015/03

Case Completed at NVC : 2015-07-22

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2015-08-27

Medical: 2015-08-31 in Toronto with Dr. Lyndon M.

Interview Date : 2015-09-28 :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Interview Result : Approved :yes::yes::yes:

Passport received from Loomis: 2015-09-30

POE: 2015-10-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I am copying a quote below from another site b/c I am being a bit lazy. The issue is if the religious ceremony in Mexico would be considered married in Mexico. If it is, that would make the K-1 void. I googled quickly but I am no expert on what would be considered legally married by Mexican standards so I won't comment on that.

"While I fully understand your reasoning for wanting to have the religious ceremony, you need to know that it may cause an issue. Because the U.S. recognizes any "marriage" that takes place in a foreign country as long as that country's government considers it to be a valid marriage, the real issue is whether you will be considered married in your home country once you go through with the religious ceremony. This is sort of a tricky issue, but I have seen it come up before. If you are married in the eyes of your country before you come to the U.S. with a K-1 visa, you are obviously no longer a fiance. I can't tell you what to do, but can only say that it may come up in the context of the adjustment if a background check reveals some state sanctioned marriage that has already taken place."

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Biometics Appointment is the 1st step in the process of the K1 AOS, your soon to be husband has to be personally here, this appointment applies to the EAD (Employment Authorization Document - Work Premit, and the Advanced Parole Document - Travel Document), there is "No-Way" around this Government requirement once he arrives and you two are married. You might make in InfoPass appointment (Local Office) if he comes before December, they maybe can help in the process, but before you enter this office check your attitude, as you don't want to PO these people who oversee your happiness, do this after the Biometics.

Be aware that regardless of how you work the Oct and Dec problems out, this process you can't avoid, it will happen.

Be wise and smart, this forum has a wealth of valuable information, from people who have been thru this process.

I have been thru both the K1 and CR1 process, and as painful as the process is, this is a cornerstone place of knowledge, use it wisely!

Met onilne 17 Jan 2012, via skype & yahoo IM

Married 4 Dec 2013

I-130 Filed 1/24/2014

I-130 NOA1 2/7/2014

I-130 NOA2 7/11/2014 Approved

I-130 Package Sent to NVC 7/31/2014

I-130 Package Received at NVC 8/4/2014

Case Uploaded 8/13/2014

Received Case # and Invoice # 8/15/2014

DS-261 Completed 8/27/2014

AOS Fee Paid and Cleared Bank 8/29/2014

AOS Package sent to NVC 8/30/2014

AOS Package Received at NVC 9/2/2014

IV Fee Email Received 9/27/2014

IV Fee Bill Payment Made 9/27/2014

COC for Malayisa Applied Online 9/27/2014

COC for Singapore Applied for at Local Office 9/29/2014, pick-up date 13 Oct 20

DS-260 Completed 10/2/2014

IV Fee's Mark as Paid by NVC 9/30/2014

IV Packet Sent to NVC on 16 Oct 2014

IV Packet Received at NVC 17 Oct 2014

I am copying a quote below from another site b/c I am being a bit lazy. The issue is if the religious ceremony in Mexico would be considered married in Mexico. If it is, that would make the K-1 void. I googled quickly but I am no expert on what would be considered legally married by Mexican standards so I won't comment on that.

"While I fully understand your reasoning for wanting to have the religious ceremony, you need to know that it may cause an issue. Because the U.S. recognizes any "marriage" that takes place in a foreign country as long as that country's government considers it to be a valid marriage, the real issue is whether you will be considered married in your home country once you go through with the religious ceremony. This is sort of a tricky issue, but I have seen it come up before. If you are married in the eyes of your country before you come to the U.S. with a K-1 visa, you are obviously no longer a fiance. I can't tell you what to do, but can only say that it may come up in the context of the adjustment if a background check reveals some state sanctioned marriage that has already taken place."

Was just going to say something like this. If you have the actual religious ceremony, with the marriage license, or anything indicating you are actually getting married, you will have issues. Because now you are married and trying to enter the US on a fiance visa, when you need to be entering on a spousal visa. That is visa fraud.

If you have the ceremony with no legal binding documents, that will still cause issues because the US will see it as marriage. Like I said in my earlier post, if you are adamant about having something in Mexico and not losing any money, just have a gathering. But you are better off trying to push things around. Unfortunately you put yourself in this situation by not researching the entire process before applying for the visa, but at least there are some alternate options, even though none of them seem to be the answer you want.

Edited by AmAjjD

If you decide to have him come immediately, get married, and get the ball rolling on the AOS/AP (which is your best choice IMO) be sure to find an office that will get your marriage certificate to you right away, as you need it for the AOS application. Some places can do it same day, others take weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Good luck to the both of you

I have changed my plans to marry 3 times already.

Now looking like a December wedding at this point

As far as not knowing what's going on, if I knew what I know now this whole damn thing would have been done differently

Cost of flying across the world and back for visits is very costly

I am putting money into the foreign economy instead of keeping it here in the USA

And we wait.........................................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No one is understanding that we have already paid thousands of dollars for the mexico wedding, and all my family paid thousands of dollars to come. It is non-refundable so I cannot simply "move dates around" at this point. I'm contacting an attorney on Monday.

it's not that we are not understanding, you didn't do your research. There is nothing anyone here, or anywhere else can do for him. If he leaves the country without AP he will NOT be allowed back in and you will then need to start the entire process from the beginning with a cr-1 while he waits in his home country. Period. So if you want to go ahead on to your honeymoon without AP, there will be consequences. What exactly do you think an attorney will do? The law is the law

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

The conflict would be what others have stated: the risk of the US looking at the religious ceremony as an actual marriage, which would void the K1 visa.

My two cents, whether you want to take it or not is up to you:

Have your fiancé stay in Mexico for his sister's wedding (trying to have him come here, file for AoS / EAD / AP, receiving it all in time, finding a trip back to Mexico in time for the wedding seems impractical)

I wouldn't risk having in ceremony in Mexico until after you are legally married in the US and have AP in hand. After this, you could go to Mexico and have a ceremony there if you so desire.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, and I know that you and others have spent a lot of money planning a Mexico wedding. Do what you can to get any of that money back if possible. I can't put myself in your situation, and I know it must really be difficult, but no amount of money spent on something that probably won't happen would cause me to risk having to start from scratch with another visa application for my loved one.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Edited by chaoticlogic

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd actually seriously consider, with your setup, just going ahead and getting legally married in Mexico and dropping the K-1 for a spousal visa petition. But talk with someone who knows the legal ramifications and requirements of that first. The last thing you want to have happen is get him here and then have him charged with visa fraud if the US then or later decides the religious ceremony was a valid wedding.

Whatever course you take, remember that the single most important thing is being sure that everything you do is completely legal in the eyes of all governments concerned. I'm assuming you want to spend a long life with this guy if you're marrying him, so remind yourself that your entire future together is hanging in the balance, and that's more valuable than even thousands of dollars. Don't cut corners where there's any question of future risks.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.