idontknow123

Getting a divorce - Can he claim it was a fake marriage after we were married for 8 years?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

So I've decided to file for divorce after things with my husband went south. He's become mean and spiteful, has threatened to have me fired (I don't know how he could but it's still scary) and now he just said he was going to claim our marriage wasn't real although it was an we were married for 8 years. I've been a resident since 2009 and I've had my 10 year green card since 2011.

Should I be worried about any sort of problems arising due to that? If it came to that I'm sure I could prove it was a real marriage although I hope it doesn't get to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Divorce and forget him, no one is going to believe it's an 8 year sham marriage. Unless he has absolute hard evidence, which I sincerly doubt he does or it wouldn't have taken him 8 years to say something. Just trying to get you scared....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Divorce and move on. Anyone who threatens with that kind of BS is worthless.

Divorce and move on. No issues for you. Anyone who threatens with that kind of BS is worthless.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello,

So I've decided to file for divorce after things with my husband went south. He's become mean and spiteful, has threatened to have me fired (I don't know how he could but it's still scary) and now he just said he was going to claim our marriage wasn't real although it was an we were married for 8 years. I've been a resident since 2009 and I've had my 10 year green card since 2011.

Should I be worried about any sort of problems arising due to that? If it came to that I'm sure I could prove it was a real marriage although I hope it doesn't get to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LOL that's really funny. There's not a remote chance of pulling that off. What a dumb-###.

He should know that if he has you fired he's on the hook for spousal support so you might quietly remind him that if you are working and supporting yourself it saves him the liability of the court ordering him to do it - plus he still has a few years left on that pesky affidavit.

Best of luck

Edited by Expat1

One popular thing is USC spouses always threaten to deport, report fraud, destroy GC... when things are not smooth as expected.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

claim in a divorce petition? he can claim anything, you can counter against it, but it's up to the judge to approve the wording in the final divorce decree.

claim to immigration? he could certainly try, but he'd have to convince a FDNS officer of it.

If you are thinking about divorce, I suggest you file as the petitioner, then you control most of the proceedings and the calendar .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

He sounds rather spiteful. He'd have a hard time proving the marriage was a sham after that long together. If he tries he'll probably succeed only in making himself look rather bitter.

As others have said why not divorce him and move on then you won't have to deal with him anymore.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Timeline

Thank you all for your words! I feel better about it. I am divorcing him (already talked to a lawyer), he said he wouldn't contest the divorce just the threats of getting me fired and deported. I didn't reply to any of it (it was via text) until this morning when I asked him to please stop harassing me and to leave me alone. I realized he was kinda full of it when he called it NCIS instead of USCIS but still needed some affirmation that it would all be ok.

I will get my citizenship as soon as possible I just don't have the money at the moment, I just moved to a different state and I'm paying a lawyer to help me with the divorce so money is tight but I will as soon as I can.

Again. thanks for your help!

If you feel it's necessary, you might want to quietly mention to the HR department at your job that you're having some personal issues but that it will not affect your job performance (and don't let it). Hold your head up and go on with your life. Best of luck!

Edited by Ortolan

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Why some USCs think they are the ones who "gave" foreign spouses their green cards and therefore are the ones to "take them away" is beyond me. Unless there is actual fraud at the beginning of a relationship and NOT just resentment that the marriage fell apart, there is NEVER any backing to the threat of deportation. Not to mention such threats are a gross violation of trust/respect. IMHO, there is no recovering a relationship after those words have slipped out.

To the OP: I'm glad you are moving on. :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.