30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipina wife of 4 years is an adulteress. I just found this out and her N-400 interview date has been scheduled in July. Any final divorce would now come after that date. Do I notify USCIS that I am in the process of divorce? She filed under being married for 3 years. She already has her 10 year Green Card. Would USCIS complete the interview if they know we are divorcing? We still would be married at the time of her interview.

Her having cheated on you and the immigration part are two different things.

It will only have an impact if you can prove fraud, which is unlikely. As long as you are married, the interview will go ahead.

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you have filed for divorce, living apart, or even thinking about divorce then her applocation will be denied under the 3 year rule.

She will have to wait until she has been living here for 5 years to re-apply.

Adultery is considering a problem when trying to establish good morale character and so she MAY have trouble naturalizying within 5 years of the "incident".

Of course, USCIS can't read her mind so if she doesn't bring the issue up and if you don't contact them, they won't know that you're not living happily together.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Remind me - does obtaining citizenship absolve the original sponsor of financial responsibility (as defined by USCIS) going forward?

Are you officially separated yet or will that occur prior to her interview date? Seems to be some moral responsibility to inform USCIS on your part.... if you choose to wait until citizenship is obtained you are no longer responsible in the USCIS definition. Divorce being another thing entirely.

I'm not recommending anything but seems to be a means to an end, but lying is never good. It will bite someone in the butt eventually.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

863 is dead on naturalisation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If this woman did you like that, I would file divorce tomorrow. I am not you, as I can only speak for myself, on how I would handle it.

File for divorce tomorrow, and cause her as much trouble as possible. As soon as I would have a copy of the divorce decree, I would forward it to the appropriate people.

It is sad, you wait so long, worry so much, and then to have what you think is a good marriage, come" crashing down on you. My heart goes out to you.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What I hear on this forum so many times is USC's holding a foreigner almost hostage with a GC or citizenship, etc. Would we seek to crush another USC's world for such a thing or give them another chance? It seems like some exspect these foreigners to grovel at their feet just because the gift of US citizenship has been presented. These foreigners leave bad conditions, yet. but they also leave their loved ones, their lives, etc to be with a person and they are people just the same. If one would seek to destroy a USC for adultery, then so be it. I feel sorry for that mentality. But if one would try to work it out with an adulterating USC, then he/she should try to work it out with their love. We married for love right? Love covers a multitude of sins. There are some things that i absolutely do not trust my fiance with. but I know that and i loook at the good and I look at the bad and yet I love him and wouldnt hold him to a higher standard than i would an american. and I certainly wouldnt make him a slave. not saying that hte OP is doing that, but so many times, the first thing i hear on difficulty is removing support, withdrawing the petitions, etc.

You need to notify USCIS now that you are divorcing so she will be denied her citizenship under the 3-year rule.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

What I hear on this forum so many times is USC's holding a foreigner almost hostage with a GC or citizenship, etc. Would we seek to crush another USC's world for such a thing or give them another chance? It seems like some exspect these foreigners to grovel at their feet just because the gift of US citizenship has been presented. These foreigners leave bad conditions, yet. but they also leave their loved ones, their lives, etc to be with a person and they are people just the same. If one would seek to destroy a USC for adultery, then so be it. I feel sorry for that mentality. But if one would try to work it out with an adulterating USC, then he/she should try to work it out with their love. We married for love right? Love covers a multitude of sins. There are some things that i absolutely do not trust my fiance with. but I know that and i loook at the good and I look at the bad and yet I love him and wouldnt hold him to a higher standard than i would an american. and I certainly wouldnt make him a slave. not saying that hte OP is doing that, but so many times, the first thing i hear on difficulty is removing support, withdrawing the petitions, etc.

It's not holding anyone hostage. Someone went through hell and back to get this person who they thought was genuine and faithful , their spouse, only to be cheated on once they're here? It doesn't matter where they came from at that point. They're a cheater and they will be treated as such. I don't believe the benefit of getting citizenship quicker belongs to them at that point!

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

was the Adultery before or after she came to USA? is up to you what you want to do. you can divorce her or work it out, because even the bible say you can only divorce on the ground of adultery BUT is up to the individual. do yo have children? all this are things to consider. if is me i will let her be, if you want to divorce, good. Return evil for evil to no one. take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. that is all i can say. take heart, it will be well with you.

Edited by vanity08

This is the greatest lesson a child can learn. It is the greatest lesson anyone can learn. It has been the greatest lesson I have learned: if you persevere, stick w/it, work @ it, you have a real opportunity to achieve something. Sure, there will be storms along the way. And you might not reach your goal right away. But if you do your best and keep a true compass, you'll get there. Edward M. Kennedy,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Divorce and move on.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Timeline

So let me get this right, she cheated on you and the first thing that came on to your mind is to destroy her chance of becoming a UScitizen? Ha.. immigration love is very funny. Its not like if she becomes a US citizen there will be a pot of gold waiting for her somewhere. INFACT it would be better if she becomes one to allow your responsibilities under the I864 to be terminated. If you are still married and staying with her she will be approved for her citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.