33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That is pretty normal.

Now if your ages were the other way around there would a few ####### comments both on VJ and at the Consulate.

Lol Over the past 7 years I've seen alot of remarks on vj about age differences. And not necessarily when it was the other way around. Lol

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

No doubt 15 years older wife will raise some attention,

but if you have solid evidence, I think you guys will be fine.

BTW...nice catch...15 years fresher...and a podiatrist. :thumbs:

Edited by DualityOneness
10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I was told by a few officers from USCIS that age used to be a big deal but now its never an issue as long as you can prove a bonafide marriage.and it is discrimination.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I personally know of a 36 year and a 42 year difference, and both from the Philippines, which is quite the norm, for that country.

It is very normal for young Filipino women, to look for older, more mature men.,.,.,I will not go into the reasons, but the reasons are real.

You should have no problem.,.,.,good look, don't get nervous, and "look them straight in the eye!"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are quite a few years between my fiance and myself as well. Being the older female (33 vs very early 20's) and we aren't concerned. Proof of a relationship from what I hear, and what's been said here, is most important. Age is really just a number. :)

Sent I-129F to Lewisville, TX: 10/21/2014
I-129F received in Lewisville, TX!: 10/23/2014

NOA1 - Text/Email: 10/28/2014

ARN updated: 10/28/2014

NOA2: 06/09/2015 (224 days)

Sent to NVC: 06/22/2015

NVC received: 06/30/2015

NVC Case Number received: 07/01/2015

Sent to Vancouver: 07/06/2015

Consulate received: 07/14/2015

Packet 3 sent: 07/14/2015

Packet 4 received: 07/16/2015

Medical: 08/14/2015

Interview: 08/18/2015 - APPROVED!

Received Visa: 08/21/2015

POE: 09/06/2015

Married: 10/25/2015

7BPctY3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No doubt 15 years older wife will raise some attention,

but if you have solid evidence, I think you guys will be fine.

BTW...nice catch...15 years fresher...and a podiatrist. :thumbs:

No, it will not raise attention, just as it doesn't when the male is older. Age discrimination, look it up. Fresher? Really? I am 21 years older than my husband and everyone says I'm the catch.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

I don't know what book consular immigration book is reading but I wish they'd stop! When a 70 year old guy marries a 21 year old, they have no problem. When you reverse the ages, you are that poor woman being scammed by someone! I wish you luck. Get affidavits. From your family and his. About your marriage. It's no fun to have to get them when USCIS decides they want more info or will send you a NOIR you and you have 30 days to get them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I assume a tourist visa, but why does it matter?

I assume because they wanted to place the thread in the appropriate forum, and because if they had entered on a K visa, then the relationship would have already, for the most part, been vetted. Adjusting this way from a non-family based visa means the AOS interview will be where the relationship vetting will happen.

No, it will not raise attention, just as it doesn't when the male is older. Age discrimination, look it up. Fresher? Really? I am 21 years older than my husband and everyone says I'm the catch.

I agree. 'Fresher'? Come on. The term is a bit insulting. I am older than my husband, and people say the same, including saying it himself.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - assuming AOS from non-family based ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

you have 0 to worry about. its not a big deal. When i visit a very small town ND couple of years ago, I met quite a few men in their 60s married to filipinas in their 20s (i am not passing a judgement , i am telling what i saw)

if asked why your in laws did;t come to the wedding, just tell them the truth , which is that they don't seem to approve your marriage.

I applied for a permanent residency for my husband. He received his EAD 3 weeks ago. But now we're slightly worried about the upcoming interview.

We're both in the medical field. I'm a medical assistant and he's a podiatrist. (We met in the hospital where I work.)

We're both originally from the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia.

We're both Christians.

However... we have 15 years age difference with me being the older one. (I just turned 50.)

Also, I have 2 children (ages 23 and 13.) While my husband gets along great with both of his stepsons, he doesn't want any babies. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why he had split up with his ex wife.

We've been married since November. We dated for about 10 months before we got married.

Also, my husband's divorce from his ex wife only became final in September. But they had been living separately for one and a half years prior to that...

We had a small ceremony at City Hall in NY with just 2 of our friends as witnesses. My husband's parents and my mom reside in Europe. My younger son was at school. And my older one was at work. We went to a restaurant afterwards. But we have yet to go on a honeymoon (to Boston.)

Here's the evidence we have gathered for the interview:

- Joint tax filing documents.

- Joint medical & dental insurance (through my work.)

- Cable/Internet bill.

- Electricity bill.

- 2 Joint bank accounts.

- Joint credit card accounts.

- Renters insurance. NOTE: Unfortunately, I am unable to put my husband on the lease... My landlord and I don't have a written contract. I know, I know... that's very bad. At some point, the landlord had given me a hand-written note that had her name and address, the property's address and the amount I was to pay every month (I needed it for my work.) But I've been living in her place for over 2 years without any problems now. Apartments in NYC are crazy expensive. And we only pay $1,200 for a large 2 bedroom... My landlord lives out of state and has no idea that I'm married. She took pity on me when I rented the place because I was a single mother. If I were to tell that I married a doctor... well, she'd definitely increase my rent. There's a young couple living right below us. They pay $300 more each month for a smaller 1 bedroom apartment! My husband doesn't work yet... and I can't afford to have the landlord increase our rent. So, I can't put my husband on the lease for the time being. I'm not sure how I can explain this to the officer who's going to interview us...

- Hotel and other receipts from a week-long trip with my younger son to Chicago in the spring of 2014.

- Pictures from our engagement (which was very romantic - on a boat cruise on the Hudson River :blush:)

- E-mails, dating all the way back to February of 2014.

- Pictures with various friends, my father and my 2 sons + my older son's gf. These include pictures from our wedding day, my birthday, our dating and every day life, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

- E-mails exchanged with wedding vendors. (We had a professional photographer. I had a very nice floral bouquet. I had also e-mailed a few officiants, because we wanted to do a fall wedding. But then I got very sick for a few weeks, so we had to postpone it.)

- Copies of greeting cards that we've given each other. I have a few holiday cards from our friends saved somewhere.

- Pictures of a wedding gift from my in-laws (who reside in Bulgaria) and a greeting card from them.

- Receipts from gifts that we've given each other.

I guess I'm primarily worried due to the fact that we have a significant age difference. Also, my husband's brother & his wife live in NJ. But he hasn't been having a good relationship with them for years now. I have never met them. They don't speak... at all.

What are your opinions on our case? I will greatly appreciate hearing them.

Timeline

I assume because they wanted to place the thread in the appropriate forum, and because if they had entered on a K visa, then the relationship would have already, for the most part, been vetted. Adjusting this way from a non-family based visa means the AOS interview will be where the relationship vetting will happen

I agree. 'Fresher'? Come on. The term is a bit insulting. I am older than my husband, and people say the same, including saying it himself.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - assuming AOS from non-family based ~

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

I assume because they wanted to place the thread in the appropriate forum, and because if they had entered on a K visa, then the relationship would have already, for the most part, been vetted. Adjusting this way from a non-family based visa means the AOS interview will be where the relationship vetting will

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - as

What I find insulting is the term "cougar"... like its something I sought from the beginning. .. a younger husband. I didn't look for it, it just happened. But I hate that term. If I got a dollar for every time I was called that.....

Edited by MouadsWife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What I find insulting is the term "cougar"... like its something I sought from the beginning. .. a younger husband. I didn't look for it, it just happened. But I hate that term. If I got a dollar for every time I was called that.....

Yes, that one really annoys me too! I never went out 'on the prowl' to find a 'hook-up' with a younger man. :rolleyes:

I also hate it when ignorant people make comments about how I 'robbed the cradle'. We were both adults when the relationship began. He was not a child. I am not a pedophile. :angry:

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ooops posted in the wrong tab.

Anyway to state the obvious age is just a number if the relationship would not raise eyebrows locally. So as has been said in PI it is seemingly normal for there to be an age difference, sometimes very substantial.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, that one really annoys me too! I never went out 'on the prowl' to find a 'hook-up' with a younger man. :rolleyes:

I also hate it when ignorant people make comments about how I 'robbed the cradle'. We were both adults when the relationship began. He was not a child. I am not a pedophile. :angry:

Oohhh one time we did not get an apartment we wanted. And she had the gall to call me a pedophile. Lolol. So we were denied based on our age differences. Lol Edited by MouadsWife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.