33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your posts, sharing your opinions and experience. You're right - age shouldn't be an issue. It's not a very common thing in our country of origin. But people there aren't too concerned with stuff like that either.

To answer the question in regards to my DH's visa: He was here on an H1B. His last employer decided that he longer needed him at work and fired him out of the blue, without prior notification or anything in writing. He overstayed his "welcome" in the country, but... just because he had a house that he put on the market for sale (along with his ex.) He was also divorcing her at the time. And he applied for documents/jobs in Australia (he also got approved.) The sale of his house was under contract. And he was living separately from his ex. That's when we met at my work.

Haha DualityOneness :) I never thought we'd end up together when I met him. But it turned out that we have a lot in common and we complement each other nicely. I wouldn't say that either one of us is "the catch." We do different things that seem to work wonderfully together. For example: I absolutely love to cook. And he isn't a cook, but doesn't mind one bit to go grocery shopping and dish washing (which I've always dreaded.) He likes to plan family activities and find "deals" for us, while I've been more of a go-in-the-last minute gal. And so on. It works out very well.

His parents... It's not that they don't "approve" of it. It's that they don't necessarily understand it.

@ tekogremista: The main thing that I am worried about is that stupid lease. Do I tell the landlord that I got married and have her raise our rent? She will raise it, no question, especially once she finds out what it is that my husband does. People in NYC hear that someone's a physician and they immediately think $$$$. She won't care that he's unemployed at the moment, etc. Or do I keep quiet about it and have us go to our interview without a lease? That piece of paper seems to be placed on top of all "evidence" articles and posts we've been reading. I'm not sure if it's THAT important, provided how many other things we have together. It's a sticky situation. Ideally, we'd be able to move in the future...

Last summer, we were contemplating moving to NJ and started looking for a suitable place there. It's cheaper. And there were some good apartments. I would've gladly commuted to upper Manhattan for work. But then I got promoted... Not only did my hours change, but I now work in Brooklyn on Monday and Wednesday. I start at 10 a.m. and getting to work would've been no problem. But I finish at 7 p.m. on those days. And going back to NJ would've taken me at least 2 hours. Then the next 2 mornings (Tuesday and Thursday), I have to be at work at 8 a.m. which would've meant leaving home at 6:30 a.m. and so on. So NJ was no longer a suitable option.

I've never had the displeasure of hearing the "cougar" comments. But then again, we've only been together for about a year and 4 months. It would be unpleasant to say the least. I like

What happened to MouadsWife with the apartment is horrible!

@ robinanis: That's hilarious!

We're waiting for the interview notification at any point now. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

• 2 years later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 4/13/2015 at 8:43 PM, vandh said:

Thank you everyone for your posts, sharing your opinions and experience. You're right - age shouldn't be an issue. It's not a very common thing in our country of origin. But people there aren't too concerned with stuff like that either.

To answer the question in regards to my DH's visa: He was here on an H1B. His last employer decided that he longer needed him at work and fired him out of the blue, without prior notification or anything in writing. He overstayed his "welcome" in the country, but... just because he had a house that he put on the market for sale (along with his ex.) He was also divorcing her at the time. And he applied for documents/jobs in Australia (he also got approved.) The sale of his house was under contract. And he was living separately from his ex. That's when we met at my work.

Haha DualityOneness :) I never thought we'd end up together when I met him. But it turned out that we have a lot in common and we complement each other nicely. I wouldn't say that either one of us is "the catch." We do different things that seem to work wonderfully together. For example: I absolutely love to cook. And he isn't a cook, but doesn't mind one bit to go grocery shopping and dish washing (which I've always dreaded.) He likes to plan family activities and find "deals" for us, while I've been more of a go-in-the-last minute gal. And so on. It works out very well.

His parents... It's not that they don't "approve" of it. It's that they don't necessarily understand it.

@ tekogremista: The main thing that I am worried about is that stupid lease. Do I tell the landlord that I got married and have her raise our rent? She will raise it, no question, especially once she finds out what it is that my husband does. People in NYC hear that someone's a physician and they immediately think $$$$. She won't care that he's unemployed at the moment, etc. Or do I keep quiet about it and have us go to our interview without a lease? That piece of paper seems to be placed on top of all "evidence" articles and posts we've been reading. I'm not sure if it's THAT important, provided how many other things we have together. It's a sticky situation. Ideally, we'd be able to move in the future...

Last summer, we were contemplating moving to NJ and started looking for a suitable place there. It's cheaper. And there were some good apartments. I would've gladly commuted to upper Manhattan for work. But then I got promoted... Not only did my hours change, but I now work in Brooklyn on Monday and Wednesday. I start at 10 a.m. and getting to work would've been no problem. But I finish at 7 p.m. on those days. And going back to NJ would've taken me at least 2 hours. Then the next 2 mornings (Tuesday and Thursday), I have to be at work at 8 a.m. which would've meant leaving home at 6:30 a.m. and so on. So NJ was no longer a suitable option.

I've never had the displeasure of hearing the "cougar" comments. But then again, we've only been together for about a year and 4 months. It would be unpleasant to say the least. I like

What happened to MouadsWife with the apartment is horrible!

@ robinanis: That's hilarious!

We're waiting for the interview notification at any point now. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

Hi, what happened here on the interview? All went smoothly?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.