20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, I swore I would not use this forum again after some unkind things were said on my last post, but things have changed and I need to call an attorney.

Back story, I am here online on behalf of the K-1, now wife, and her 2 yr old K-3. Wife is deaf, limited English and writing skills.

Please let me know if I am taking the right path. I think she needs an attorney.

Arrived in US Sept 11, 2014

Married Nov 14, 2014.

Since then, no effort made for immigration doctor appt. or any effort to collect documents for the AOS.

Husband's truck was repossessed, cable tv turned off for non payment, was given a 5 day notice of eviction on the apt for non payment of rent.

Wife, K-1 is deaf, has no cell phone text access, no wifi to use the deaf relay service for any help, speaks mostly Philippine sign language, not good in American sign language,.

She says there is not enough food sometimes.

There have been people coming to the apt looking for the husband to repay them for the money he owes them.

BTW~~~husband is also deaf.

We think he may be online gambling.

Wife, K-1 has had a dental emergency for 3 days, and he says no money for medicine. She text me by using his cell phone when he was asleep, and sent me pictures of her face. I live in another state.

My question is, at this point, should I be calling an attorney ?

I have emails from the consulate in LA telling me to do this. Do I just ask the attorney "Where do we go from here?"

Please no flaming replies. I'm just trying to help a deaf lady who lives in another state than me.

There is only so much an attorney can do for her, but with no money an attorney will definitely not be able to help in any way. Whether they use an attorney or not, the both need to have money to afford the AOS process, an attorney will just add to the bill.

Also, be aware that by asking in a public forum there will be different answers and opinions given, just take the best advice given and hopefully that helps.

Sounds like the husband is not good for her if he isn't even willing to help with AOS. If this is the way he is now do you think is worth for her to stay in this type of relationship? Did she not see this before they were married? Sounds like some bad decisions have been made already.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Can an attorney with the nearest Catholic Charities be recruited to help?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all for the prompt answers. To clarify, she lives in Las Vegas, I live in San Diego.

I have known this guy for awhile. We had not seen this behavior before she arrived here..

The deaf community is small. My son is deaf also so I do know many deaf from all over the west.

Mu husband is willing to pay for an initial attorney consult since this girl and her family in Phils have no money.

Thank you again. I will call to see what--if anything--can be done to help her, even if it means sending her and her K-2 back to Phils.

Thanks for not flaming me. :)

Filed: Timeline

Wow , god bless you for helping them I say contact Catholic

Charities (she cant afford an atty) U help the child in school and her

a job maybe within the deaf community.....you did enlightened me

I always wonder if the sign language is universal or it was language

specific.

Hubby maybe overwhelm and depressed thinking he took on too much

they need some intervention, and do you know some medications cause

ppl to become gamblers? they need help , he needs gamblers anonymous

Try to call 1343 that's the latest number CFO gave us when we had our seminar..for Filipinos who need help here in US.

MY TIMELINE K1/K2 VISA

04/07/2014 : NOA 2

04/22/2014 : NVC w/ MNL case number

07/30/2014 : Medicals SLEC w/ (2)K2

08/04/2014 : My Psych Evaluation Schedule (due to my Annulment)

08/07/2014 : Psych Interview Passed (received a call from SLEC)

08/08/2014 : My Immunization

08/15/2014 : Pending approved due to CRBA and NBI

09/05/2014 : Applied for CRBA

11/12/2014 : CRBA approved

12/04/2014 : Visa Issued

12/16/2014 : POE-SFO

12/26/2014 : Married

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS W/ MY K2

03/09/2015 : Packet Sent thru USPS

03/12/2015 : Packet delivered CHICAGO lockbox

04/07/2015: : Done w/ biometrics (early walk-in)

04/13/2015: : Status changed to "Case Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

05/21/2015 : EAD/AP Approved

05/22/2015 : EAD updated to "Card being ordered to be produced"

05/28/2015 : EAD card mailed to me

05/30/2015 : EAD/AP combo card and notice 1-797 received

It sounds like returning home may be her best course of action.

I'm not sure what help an immigration attorney will be. She is eligible to adjust status, but will need a sponsor to do so. It sounds as if her husband will not be qualified to satisfy the requirements alone, so she would probably require a joint sponsor. If she could not obtain a joint sponsor then any AoS application she filed would ultimately be denied. Certainly there is nothing stopping her from paying an attorney to file her application, but if she is not able to put food on the table already then she probably doesn't have money to pay a lawyer either.

Nothing you have written indicates that she is able to claim relief under VAWA.

I-485 application fees when not filed based on VAWA are not able to be waived; she would need to pay the $1,070 for her, plus the additional costs for her K-2 daughter.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would also think money best spent on plane tickets.

I would also think money best spent on plane tickets.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We think he may be online gambling.

Sometimes it is best to stay out of others peoples business and issues .

It may be best for you to tell the person they were the one who got themselves into this issue and it is their issue to find the solution.

I may offer a few hundred dollars to a friend in need, but after that I would not get so heavily involved in others peoples problems

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

is she considering filing a VAWA. Found this and is actually from a group in LA.

http://www.ilrc.org/files/document_gathering_for_self-petitioning_under_the_violence_against_women_act.pdf

also, I beleive there may be an application to waive fee

why are you suggesting this? There is nothing in the post that indicates she is able to claim this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It may be best for you to tell the person they were the one who got themselves into this issue and it is their issue to find the solution.

I may offer a few hundred dollars to a friend in need, but after that I would not get so heavily involved in others peoples problems

The OP was obviously asked for help, that is why they are here asking for help from the VJ community. Kudos to the OP for trying to help a fellow disabled friend

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - so they have to get settled again before thinking of immigration stuff,

or

she wants to leave?

if the former, contact Catholic Charities in Las Vegas, they can help her, but to the best of my knowledge, someone from that household needs to go in to an office for an intake. CC can handle all the stuff they need to get done. Then file for AOS when there is money again. She's out of status, but not illegally present in the USA - it makes a huge difference. They married within the 90 day span, so she's eligible to file the AOS stuff, some folk have filed at the 2 year mark - sure there's extra scrutiny, but they've gotten greencards and status after.

if the latter, then suggest raising the funds for the airtickets.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yeah what a terrible friend the OP is for helping out a disabled friend who is in a foreign country and doesn't speak much English.

Please think before you start judging people.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.