CanGirl

This distance is destroying my relationship

85 posts in this topic

Your husband is communicating with you. He's telling you what his needs are, and how they're not being met. This? Is part of marriage - listening to one another. An appropriate response is not "be more like me," it's to figure out what you can do to help him have his needs met while also meeting your own.

If you're not willing to work with him to make sure his emotional needs are being met, then it sounds like the problem isn't with him.

I'm completely agree with your statement. When emotional needs of wife or husband are not being met, she/he would try to find someone to fulfill it. Marriage does not mean two persons just bonded by a vow - and legal papers- and then they forget how to make the marriage works. Being marriage is also how to learn to listen to each other and understand what kind emotional needs both of you looking for.

For OP: Talk heart to heart to your husband. I understand why he's being upset. I remember my then-fiance (my now husband) complained that I did not spend time talk to him more often. He just want me there even just looked to each other via Skype. Or share anything. That was the first years when we decided to have exclusive relationship - we started the courtship in 2008 and he filed I-129F last year. More harder because we had huge time differences like 12-14 hours. But after a while I understand his emotional needs. He needs someone to share his life with. Even only just talk how bad his day was at work. He then stopped complaining to me anymore.

I am happy he is not kind a guy who loves hangout with his friends after work. He would rather spend time with me after work or doing some activities together. I could not ask more better husband than that.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

This is the deal breaker, for me.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

Indeed. I am at same boat with you. I would not let my husband hangout with female co-worker and visited his apartment while I am not there.

For OP: Here this thing, if you don't want him hang around with someone else, spend more time with him. Show him that you are willing to give time to him time that he is craving for. Might be it does not work for everyone but for me I knew how to make him feel closer to me. When we were still dating, I called him everyday at work for lunch, call his cellphone or anywhere he goes because I knew he likes if I paid attention for what he did.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

There is also this new woman in his life. A new co-worker. He said he met her at a work social outing to the beach a couple weeks ago. This Monday he told me that he stayed up all night texting her talking about music and religion. He also hung out with her on Tuesday. They went long boarding together and got food. He said she forgot her card so he bought her dinner. Then afterwards she went to his apartment and cooked vegan food for him. Well all of this threw up a huge red flag for me. He swears that it is all platonic and he doesn't have any feelings for her at all. I even made him ask her if she liked him romantically and to show me her reply. She said no that she doesn't think of him in that way at all. They even went out for tea after 9pm Wednesday night after church with another female co-worker. He says he told me about all this so it wouldn't turn into a huge thing later because she is an attractive woman. I just can't believe that she is not influencing his decision to end things with me right now.

I think your husband's behaviour is adding up. I did the same thing to my husband years ago when we were both still in high school. I was breaking down emotionally over the distance and sought comfort in another man who I ended up dating. I'm lucky my husband took me back after my lapse of judgement... not many people are that forgiving.

Either way, from my own point of view I don't think it would be appropriate for my husband to invite a woman co-worker back to his apartment. Would he have brought her back if you were living with him? I doubt it.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

I sympathize with you, my fiancee and I have been apart for one year almost exactly. This is not a fun or pleasant experience and sure, we've had our share of fights, disagreements, times of extreme loneliness and much more. But, I just have to say distance CANNOT destroy a relationship only the two people involved can. Every day you have to CHOOSE to spend time together in whatever way you can and modern technology has been so helpful in that.Can you imagine having to endure this when there was only snail-mail to communicate with? ??? I couldn't! Now we have skype, facetime, email, text, telephone, social media and more... so we're blessed. Every day you have to CHOOSE to make it work no matter what. A saying I always like to use is , "distance means so little when you mean so much", it reminds me that as hard as this process is, I would endure it 10 times over just to be with my fiancee every day for the rest of our lives. So, hang in there, don't let this break you. There will be tough days but the end result is happiness. Good luck!

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Many times platonic frendships evolve into a romantic relationship. Feels like more is going on. For me it is a big red flag as he is hanging out with another woman. He is too negative and is probably looking for an excuse to separate. Trust your gut instict. I had couple friends in similiar situation and did not end well. I really hope things turn out for the best, but just wanted to tell you trust your insticts. Good Luck.

:luv:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmmmm, definitely sounds like a red flag to me also. Hanging out with an attractive, new co-worker texting each other all night talking about music and religion. I'll give him credit for being open and honest with you, but zero for respect. It's one thing to have a social life with coworkers, but another to spend other "fun" activities with each other...alone. Should've thought about this before even getting married and the difficulties of the significant times apart. It is hard, I know.

I know sometimes talking on Skype can be boring and sometimes you run out of stuff to talk about, but one of the things I found out is to really incorporate your life and his life like as if you guys are actually together, but digitally. Use technology to its fullest...skype/msg each other wherever you go. Go on skype dates, celebrate different things - birthdays, monthly anniversaries, shopping, eating, heck, wrap your cellphone in a plastic bag and take him in the shower with you...just be creative!

Like some said here, try the best you can to keep the relationship alive and talk to each other. It would be such a waste to end it, with so much time and effort to be together. Gonna have to dig deep and figure out what both of you really want before throwing in the towel. Oh, and by the way, most relationships start out as platonic and feelings for each do grow deeper whether you want it or not. If you can get him to realize that he's totally disrespecting you for hanging out with his "attractive" coworker, then I would advise him to stop it and put more focus on this marriage. Just my two cents.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the deal breaker, for me.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

This!

I almost feel like he's telling you this stuff so you don't get as mad at him if he decides he wants to end things. I mean...he's saying he just met this woman, and he invited her back to his house for her to cook him dinner? Oh hell no. Your husband is fulfilling his need for a physical (as in, physically present with him, as far as we know anyway...) and emotional connection with a different woman, quite literally putting her in your place. On purpose. OP, did you go visit him today? You guys really need to talk about all this. Do not settle for his excuses. Don't end up going through all of this trouble to be with him in vain.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Timeline

I am not married yet, but soon I will be. However, I will say this because I am in a long distance relationship for more than 2 years now... What my fiance and I do??? We talk all the time. Talk what happened throughout the day, what you have eaten, what you have seen on the internet that is too cute, funny, or whatever, plan vacations that you want to do when you get together, talk about sex, watch your favorite tv shows together by clicking "play button" at the same time. EVEEERRRYYYTTTHHHIINNNGGG you think and you imagine you can do together. We fight too, do not talk for a couple of hours, then we figure things out what has caused the fight. I cry because distance really sucks, but I never thought of quitting.

I hope you save your marriage..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I see you are in Canada? Is it possible for both of you to visit more often?

Proximity wise your situation is better than other members here who are separated thousands of miles away.

I say give it a chance. However, I would be very cautious if I were you because your husband seems to fill the emotional gap by seeing some other woman.

I wish you well.

Good luck

Blooms

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

There is also this new woman in his life. A new co-worker. He said he met her at a work social outing to the beach a couple weeks ago. This Monday he told me that he stayed up all night texting her talking about music and religion. He also hung out with her on Tuesday. They went long boarding together and got food. He said she forgot her card so he bought her dinner. Then afterwards she went to his apartment and cooked vegan food for him. Well all of this threw up a huge red flag for me. He swears that it is all platonic and he doesn't have any feelings for her at all. I even made him ask her if she liked him romantically and to show me her reply. She said no that she doesn't think of him in that way at all. They even went out for tea after 9pm Wednesday night after church with another female co-worker. He says he told me about all this so it wouldn't turn into a huge thing later because she is an attractive woman. I just can't believe that she is not influencing his decision to end things with me right now.

I'm sorry but you need to be on Skype with him every night for hours and hours. He needs to see and hear you everyday it's the only way he will feel some relief from his loneliness. Communication is the key! He just feels I think that you don't love him the way he loves you and he's hurt. Might have told you about this woman to show you he is still attractive to other women. A way to get your attention which he obviously has. Your going to have to sacrifice your me time to keep this together until you can be with him forever. I'll be praying for you. (F) (L) (F)

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I simply don't get it.

Most of us that are going through the fiancee visa processing

can't easily see each other in person for a long time

but our love gives us the patience to wait and

encourage each other through the what seems like a eternity wait.

You are so far along in the process and making visits,

why is your man so immature and impatient about this?

Please explain to him that majority of the fiancee visa processing

partners are simply happy to see each other on Skype

and still keep the love going until processing finishes in about 8 to 10 months.

Sounds like he's a grown up man with kid's emotion.

You might have to be the wise mother-like figure and calm him down.

Don't let your emotion get tangle with his childish demands.

Best wishes...

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Timeline

Sounds like you are making excuses as to why you don't talk to him. It's hard enough he is alone physically, you have left him alone emotionally. He also clearly thinks your family is more important than he is, if true you should not be married, if false you need to let him know.

Either way this will require work, time, and lots of communication.

Timeline

I don't want to be depressed and crying in my room all the time so I don't let myself do that. As a result we hardly communicate.

It seems we have a huge difference of opinion on what is important to us in a marriage. I don't want to get into all of the details

At first I was against all the blame-the-victim posts but Mike&Lyn zeroed in on something important here.

It doesn't make sense the way you concluded that you hardly communicate because you don't want to be depressed and crying in your room. So communicating with your husband makes you depressed? Ignoring that you are married makes you feel happier? How about what your husband wants? Isn't making him happy something you care about?

The second item above regarding huge differences of opinion on what is important in a marriage is actually the most important thing to talk about, but the one thing you don't want to detail. I gather that the husband wants to be talking to his wife every day on Skype or whatever, but you don't want to. So this is what he means by saying your family is more important to you than your own husband. It sounds like it goes further than this though and I don't think we have the whole story here.

But therefore the husband, who is not getting companionship from his wife, is seeking it elsewhere. He wants you to see that attractive women like his company. You ignore him while other attractive women enjoy spending time with him. He's told you that it is unacceptable to be rejected by his wife - that he expects his wife to communicate regularly with him. It's a red flag alright: it is a huge billowing signal that if you don't give him what he wants then he's going to get it elsewhere.

It really does feel wonderful when the most important person in our life has abandoned us and someone else shows us that we are worthy of their esteem. I agree with your husband - you guys just don't sound right for each other. I don't think this is just a matter of being apart. The fact you are so completely different about wanting to communicate while apart says something important about your compatibility.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

This in my opinion is the problem. You need to get on the damn phone, skype, whatever, every day and be talking to him. You need to show him you really care about your relationship. Your actions are sending him the opposite message.

Yep, this.

Good grief I disagree completely. His needs are not being met because his wife is stuck in another country and he's tired of waiting so he opens up emotionally to some other woman? I think he's realised there are woman on his doorstep right in front of him that he doesn't have to wait for and he wants out of the relationship so he can go play.

CanGirl you don't want to be married to a man who doesn't think you're the highest, most important priority in his life. Don't let him treat you like this and make you think all this is your fault.

I simply don't get it.

Most of us that are going through the fiancee visa processing

can't easily see each other in person for a long time

but our love gives us the patience to wait and

encourage each other through the what seems like a eternity wait.

Both of you appear to have missed the part where she said she didn't want to sit in her room and be sad, so she didn't - and thus doesn't talk to him. His needs aren't being met because she's not spending time talking to him, so he's hanging out with other people, and telling her about it. Or is there some particular sexist reason I'm not aware of that the wife in this scenario is allowed to have a full social life, but the husband must sit at home and pine away without any contact with his wife, or other people?

OP in this situation is living a life she is apparently not happy with her husband living, and she won't live the life her husband wants her to live - one that involves sitting in her room talking to him when they're both at home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.