Me&myBaby

Don't ever go K-1

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I might be really wrong and maybe the other options available are even worse, but in my opinion and for those looking for advice........don't ever go the K1 route!

The process is so long, so much money, time, papers, forms........and I know that happens with all immigration processes, but this one..........it never ends!

It took me 9 months to get here, then 2 months to get married, then more time, more money, more papers, and my EAD and AP haven't arrive yet........so we missed our honeymoon that it was supposed to be this week, and I just found the job of my dreams but I can't start because of this EAD!

To get my ID, it took me 4 trips to the MVA and a lot of begging so I wouldn't have to be carrying my passport with my visa everywhere, specially if I want one single glass of wine in a restaurant and they wlll only accept passports as proof of ID.

I love my husband, and really like this country, and I want to stay, but is just so hard to stay home for 5 months, I have always worked and don't want to ask my husband for money just to go to and have a coffee with a friend.

Those are my two pennies.......good luck anyway to everyone on the process!

Other processes are even longer, harder and maybe a bit more expensive. So K1 is your best bet.

e: And its not like everyone goes through such a hard time, i had a friend received his K1 in 160 days. It depends on different variables.

Edited by Zeeshanish

K-1 Timeline

Click Here to see our complete Timeline!

14 November 2013 - Sent I-129F Package

18 November 2013 - NOA1 (4 days after sending package)

21 November 2013 - Recieved Text and E-mail with Case Number NOA1

25 November 2013 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy in Mail

25 November 2013 - Alien Registration Number Changed

14 January 2014 - NOA2 (54 days after NOA1)

17 January 2014 - USCIS Shipped to NVC

29th January 2014 - NVC Recieved and assigned Case #

4th February 2014 - Abu Dhabi Embassy Recieved our case and the status is now "READY" for interview

24th September 2014 - Interview date - FINGERS CROSSED!

Timeline

you should be thankful you got a visa and are in the U.S. with ur significant other.......some of us would just about kill to have at least that

I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression, it was my opinion for those who are thinking about which visa to pursue. Of course I am thankful, and don't worry, you will be here soon, I have been in your shoes already.

Good luck!

Other processes are even longer, harder and maybe a bit more expensive. So K1 is your best bet.

e: And its not like everyone goes through such a hard time, i had a friend received his K1 in 160 days. It depends on different variables.

That's why I said, "I might be wrong, and the other options available are maybe even worse"

It's just my opinion, that no one should go though a hard time, not you, not your friend, not me.

Edited by Me&myBaby

I do agree with you about working. I never ask money to anyone including my now-fiance-though he insisted it-. But when I eventually be with my him, I will use all spare time with him that has been lost when we were in long distance relationship for more than 5 years by now. I would take a break from a work a little while, learning new things, try to see life in different perspective or maybe just do some visits to different places everyday.

I've been working for the last 10 years as a journalist and sometimes I felt need to take a break. Maybe I will do some volunteering work-if it doesn't need an EAD- and or focus to my online business. Big apologize, I am not trying to lecture you since you already there and not knowing your real situation.

But, I don't care how painful the process as long as I am with my future husband. No pain no gain. Last but not least, I am sorry to hear you have to feel this way.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I hear your frustration and can also understand your pain. I have heard the K1 is much faster during the first stage of approval and you are reunited with your significant other in a much shorter period than the I-130. As you can see, we have also attempted the K1 and one of my concern at the time was how will my husband be able to deal with the waiting. Starting in a new country, no friends, no job and waiting until I came home around 6:40pm would not be something he would like. Unfortunately the K1 didn't work for us but I wish we were together and dealing with any issues than being apart :-(

Thank you for sharing. I think your experience is helpful for those coming to the U.S to also understand some of the challenges after the arrival. We are all so eager to be together, we may not think of the frustration and challenges awaiting our partners.

OP stay strong and good luck.

K1 - Filed March 2011

- Denied March 13, 2012

- Placed in AP March 14,2012

- Sent back to USCIS November 2012

- Expired March 2013

WASTED A YEAR FIGHTING THE DENIEL

MARRIED MARCH 15, 2013

1-130 Approved 3/3/2014 :-)

Finally made it home 3/18/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum, as possible decision-making fodder for others who are contemplating a visa path. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

some of us would like to have your problems... be happy

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

Timeline

I do agree with you about working. I never ask money to anyone including my now-fiance-though he insisted it-. But when I eventually be with my him, I will use all spare time with him that has been lost when we were in long distance relationship for more than 5 years by now. I would take a break from a work a little while, learning new things, try to see life in different perspective or maybe just do some visits to different places everyday.

I've been working for the last 10 years as a journalist and sometimes I felt need to take a break. Maybe I will do some volunteering work-if it doesn't need an EAD- and or focus to my online business. Big apologize, I am not trying to lecture you since you already there and not knowing your real situation.

But, I don't care how painful the process as long as I am with my future husband. No pain no gain. Last but not least, I am sorry to hear you have to feel this way.

Thank you for your support!

I hear your frustration and can also understand your pain. I have heard the K1 is much faster during the first stage of approval and you are reunited with your significant other in a much shorter period than the I-130. As you can see, we have also attempted the K1 and one of my concern at the time was how will my husband be able to deal with the waiting. Starting in a new country, no friends, no job and waiting until I came home around 6:40pm would not be something he would like. Unfortunately the K1 didn't work for us but I wish we were together and dealing with any issues than being apart :-(

Thank you for sharing. I think your experience is helpful for those coming to the U.S to also understand some of the challenges after the arrival. We are all so eager to be together, we may not think of the frustration and challenges awaiting our partners.

OP stay strong and good luck.

Thanks for your support!

Timeline

some of us would like to have your problems... be happy

I am happy, I am just frustrated! And believe me, you don't want my problems.

I don't want to offend anyone going through the process, remember that I have been on your shoes already. And you will all be here really soon.

In my opinion, I would have gone for the spouse visa. The waiting is pretty much the same, or a little bit more, but at least when you come here you are almost good to go. And at least you get to wait in your county, with your job, close to your friends and family. The waiting here it felt longer to me than it was while I was waiting for the visa, even if I am with my husband.

Besides, I am sure my husband has spent more money with me here not working, than what we would have spent with the CR1. So in reality, K1 wasn't really cheaper for us.

Three years ago I came on a tourist visa to visit my brother that lives in Miami, then I came to Washington DC to visit a friend, stayed a month, and a small company offered me a job. After almost 10 thousand dollars, and 9 months of my life, they decided to deny me the visa........6 months later I came back, to visit my brother and they denied me entry at POE because of a lawyer mistake on the work visa petition....so yes, I have the right to don't like this system, is like a waiting room, where you are just waiting for them to call you and you will never know when they will.

I am still happy hehe and wish you all good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It took us 90 days from filing to visa but we are not typical of the process I don't know why some get processed quick and other just linger on and on we are processing our ead and aos now and you are right it seems to be a never ending pile of paper and tons of money. We got a RFE because the local braintrusts at the uscis office gave me outdated forms to use, I have been there several times and each I come out feeling more stupid then I went in. I have heard the CR 1 is even more stressful because of the guidelines they have for it. Right now in the USA everything is slow and costs more and more, but can you really and truly put a price on your happiness? My wife has be here since May 1 we were married on May 27, she has taken up beading to pass the time until her ead gets here. She is getting very good at it. All I can say is be patient, be strong, and let your love guide you through the processes ahead!

Timeline

Quit moaning jeez wish I was in your position.

It is not moaning, it's just my advice for those deciding on which visa to pursue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.