Me&myBaby

Don't ever go K-1

91 posts in this topic

Having been down both the k-1 and the cr-1 path, I can say that they both suck equally.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

No, the CR1 takes generally the same amount of time, it is by far less expensive, and the day you set foot in the US you are a greencard holder. No waiting for EAD or having to submit more forms. You can work, get a drivers license, do pretty much anything right away

Perhaps in 2011 when you were doing the process it took about the same time. But right now K1s are being approved in 1-3 months, while CR1s are taking 9-10.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Perhaps in 2011 when you were doing the process it took about the same time. But right now K1s are being approved in 1-3 months, while CR1s are taking 9-10.

So wait the extra time,well worth it and cheaper..And a hell of a lot more time saving...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I happen top agree with you but will say that it depends also on the country of the benficiary for the approval rate.

My advice to others would be to choose that path tha tmeets their values and then do the immigration path that matches that.

That K1 is faster than CR1 or vice versa is sometimes not accurate and the speed is at the whim of the unknowns.

PS: I do not see your post as showing lack of gratitiude, I see it as educational. Some people choose to see bad in everything. Just ignore them.

Thanks! I think I said like more than three times, I am happy.......I am just giving my point of view........

IT depends on so many things, that as someone else, this is a lottery. And if I would bet on it again, I wouldn't go K1

Good luck on your journey :)

Timeline

So wait the extra time,well worth it and cheaper..And a hell of a lot more time saving...

If can't imagine how much money my husband has spent on my, during my 5 months without working.............and I am trying to spend as little as possible.

Even if is double of time, as everyone also says "no time is compared with the rest of your life with your loved one", so I would have waited in my country, working, and with my family and friends before starting my new life.

Just my opinion, and I respect everyone's else own way of thinking.

Good luck!

The extra time, especially the huge amount of time that it is taking now, really puts a strain on a relationship and hurts. Time saving how?

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The process can be very easy or very hard. Some cases take longer then others, some things are just slow. If we were to get all that we ask for then where do we learn patience? I totally understand your frustration, but remember that you are here and you are capable of making calls and following up. Dont give up cause things happen in HIS (GOD, your higher power, ALLAH, etc whatever your choice is) time, not yours (everything has a reason)

I wish you the best of luck. Be Strong !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I don't think I could ever stand being MARRIED and apart for a year or more. Being engaged is different. Right now, not being with my fiance, the love of my life, is already so hard. But I know it would be so much harder for me if he was my husband. Some people don't really think those two are any different, however. But I know I just wouldn't bear it. I'd love to just be with him, even if he comes home at 6pm or so. I'd love to be able to cook food for him, wake up next to him, welcome him home. Those things I could never do if we were apart. There are things you can do to speed up the process for the K1 -> AOS. For example, we will marry 2 weeks after I get to the US. Sure, it will be a little ceremony, but that speeds up the waiting time.

I guess if others are considering going a CR1 vs K1. My advice would be to be pro-active in planning AHEAD of time. Plan your wedding, if possible get married the week after (that was our initial plan, but it was too close to new year's). It will take a week or two to get the marriage license back. Have all your paperwork ready to send the day it gets back. All these help lessen your wait time for AP and EAD. I am hoping to have applied for AOS a month after arriving at POE, then I would have EAD and AP about 4 months after I get to the US. I could apply for jobs and just be waiting for my EAD to start. I can take classes or do volunteer work to increase my marketability. etc.

engaged happy.png - February 2013

129F NOA1 receipt date- March 11, 2013 (NOA1 sent March 13, 2013)

Touched - Name spelling correction - March 20, 2013

Transferred to TSC - July 10, 2013

NOA2 - July 23 smile.png

Shipped to NVC - August 15

NVC Received - August 22

Auckland Consulate Received- August 28

Packet 3 Received - September 7

Medical - September 9

Packet 3 Sent - September 9

Packet 4 Received - Sept 11

Interview - Sept 19

Visa received - Sept 26

POE - 25 December luv.gif

Wedding - 11 January heart.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have found so many text messages, and facebook messages, and after 8 days we got married, 8 days of marriage and 3 days after AOS was filled.

Of course I didn't want my marriage to last 8 days, specially after everything we all go through to get here.......he denies the whole thing, saying that are just texts, "a man thing, to see if we still got it" but is really hard to trust again....

As you said, I gave up my country, and I know everyone does, but when it happens to you, you really realize how bad it feels....

Thank you for your support, and now just time will tell smile.png

I'm so sorry to hear that. "a man thing, to see if we still got it?" wow... just wow... I would be very upset if my fiance ever says that. And if he really means it, then I will most likely leave him. Hopefully you can talk with your husband and clear things up. If just talking to him doesn't help... can you talk to any family or friend of his that can maybe help you talk to him, or at least ease your concerns? I dunno... I think you'd like to clear things up sooner rather than later.

engaged happy.png - February 2013

129F NOA1 receipt date- March 11, 2013 (NOA1 sent March 13, 2013)

Touched - Name spelling correction - March 20, 2013

Transferred to TSC - July 10, 2013

NOA2 - July 23 smile.png

Shipped to NVC - August 15

NVC Received - August 22

Auckland Consulate Received- August 28

Packet 3 Received - September 7

Medical - September 9

Packet 3 Sent - September 9

Packet 4 Received - Sept 11

Interview - Sept 19

Visa received - Sept 26

POE - 25 December luv.gif

Wedding - 11 January heart.gif

Timeline

The process can be very easy or very hard. Some cases take longer then others, some things are just slow. If we were to get all that we ask for then where do we learn patience? I totally understand your frustration, but remember that you are here and you are capable of making calls and following up. Dont give up cause things happen in HIS (GOD, your higher power, ALLAH, etc whatever your choice is) time, not yours (everything has a reason)

I wish you the best of luck. Be Strong !

Thanks!! Strong has to be my last name right now.

I do believe in God, and that is what gives me the so necessary patience for this.

Good luck to you too!!!

Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear that. "a man thing, to see if we still got it?" wow... just wow... I would be very upset if my fiance ever says that. And if he really means it, then I will most likely leave him. Hopefully you can talk with your husband and clear things up. If just talking to him doesn't help... can you talk to any family or friend of his that can maybe help you talk to him, or at least ease your concerns? I dunno... I think you'd like to clear things up sooner rather than later.

When I first found out, I really thought that I could just swallow it and keep going (the GC didn't even cross my mind) I just kept thinking that I didn't want my marriage to last 8 days (that's when i saw the texts)...

But I mean, if a man does something as stupid as that, at least treat your wife as a queen.........which he didn't, he keeps saying "I'm not romantic, and I don't talk, I am not a teacher and have nothing to explain or say, you have to figure it out on your own"

And claims that it was just a joke and he didn't cheat on me........

Well, you are right and for those doing K1, get married as soon as possible. In our case was complicated, because we didn't date for a long time so we wanted to try living together first.

Congrats for the visa and have a safe trip to the US!

my biggest complaint with the process is that it forces people to marry, without a real opportunity to find out if that is what they want. 3 months before marrying is not enough, when all you've had before is visits. I think there needs to be something before the K1. A tourist visa is not an option when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend as once you're looking at extended visits (months) it is assumed you intend to immigrate, which is not necessarily the case, and a visa (or visa waiver) isn't given.

Wouldn't it be much better to find out before you marry that maybe it wouldn't work out? And sorry, but not everyone in the world wants to live in the USA...I just can't convince my guy to move here instead. Trust me, immigrating is not my first option, but it is the only option to be together.

Filed: Timeline

my biggest complaint with the process is that it forces people to marry, without a real opportunity to find out if that is what they want. 3 months before marrying is not enough, when all you've had before is visits. I think there needs to be something before the K1. A tourist visa is not an option when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend as once you're looking at extended visits (months) it is assumed you intend to immigrate, which is not necessarily the case, and a visa (or visa waiver) isn't given.

Wouldn't it be much better to find out before you marry that maybe it wouldn't work out? And sorry, but not everyone in the world wants to live in the USA...I just can't convince my guy to move here instead. Trust me, immigrating is not my first option, but it is the only option to be together.

In an ideal world, DOS would issue a 6 month teporary visit visa to an approved USCIS petition beneficiary. This visa can never be adjusted while in the states adn benes would have to go back home to compelte the process.

This will offer those that can not leave with their SO for a significant amount of time in their home country.

In any case the onus is on the USC to validate their relationship in whatever method that they choose before filing either type of petition.

I think K-1 is easier and faster. I got my NOA2 in 15 days. But the NVC took 1 month. Now I already have my interview date set up. I got no complain, it is going faster than I expected smile.png.

Be thankful. This is not the norm even now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.