Me&myBaby

Don't ever go K-1

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I absolutely agree,K-1 is a pain in the butt..If I had to do it again it would go the CR-1 route..

Definitely! I rather take it a few more months apart from my loved one, and wait in my country with my friends family and job.......

Whats is done can't be undone.....let's just now try to make this waiting more productive, and try to learn something.

Good luck on your journey!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

You are right. Unfortunately, in my case, my husband didn't want to get married....and we didn't have a party. We didn't even have rings. I sent my AOS after 4 days we got married, and did everything by myself and with visajourney, since he didn't help much.

Maybe that should have been my first clue.........but I was here already, and all for him........so we did it. And after 8 days I found ll those text messages from him to many women.......so as I said, thay might be the real reason of my disappointment. And also the lenght of this process. We first filled on July 2012....

I guess you found what it really bothers you. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this situation but Ithink you neef to put things in perspective. Marrying someone who didn't want to marry you and later found out it's cheating on you, is putting you in a state of mind where taking desicions are harder. Even when you are free to return home, I'll be thinking about it seriously as a real option. I hope you can work things out before your interview but think plan b and plan c. Good luck

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have found so many text messages, and facebook messages, and after 8 days we got married, 8 days of marriage and 3 days after AOS was filled.

Of course I didn't want my marriage to last 8 days, specially after everything we all go through to get here.......he denies the whole thing, saying that are just texts, "a man thing, to see if we still got it" but is really hard to trust again....

As you said, I gave up my country, and I know everyone does, but when it happens to you, you really realize how bad it feels....

Thank you for your support, and now just time will tell smile.png

I'm sorry but thats no excuse in my opinion to talk to other women...... you should ask him how he would feel if you were texting other men 'to see if you still got it'....ask him how that would make him feel.... im sorry your journey has been rough.... but in my opinion you should get out now... he's not going to be faithful or supportive... is that really who you want to be married to?? I think the love of your life is still out there....

Sept 28, 2013- Sent my info to future hubby for K-1Oct 1, 2013- My info arrives star_smile.gifNov 1, 2013- NOA1 smile.pngNov 7, 2013- Alien registration number changedNov 22, 2013- NOA2!!!!!Nov 29, 2013- NOA2 hard copy arrives<p>Dec 11. 2013- Case shipped to Department of State

March 21, 2014 Interview- appprrrooovvveeddd!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Right - enjoy the road as much as possible - because this is our lives now. luv.gif The end could be anywhere, or nowhere. After removal of restrictions you decide do you want to apply for citizenship or just renew your green card each 10 years (I think that is the time frame). I really wish it was easier.

Timeline

I guess you found what it really bothers you. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this situation but Ithink you neef to put things in perspective. Marrying someone who didn't want to marry you and later found out it's cheating on you, is putting you in a state of mind where taking desicions are harder. Even when you are free to return home, I'll be thinking about it seriously as a real option. I hope you can work things out before your interview but think plan b and plan c. Good luck

Yes, and yes. Exactly what I said in another post, that is definitely bothering me. And the process too. He kept saying and somehow right, in our case we did not date for a long time before I came here. But it was the only way, and we do love each other. I had my doubts about marriage also, but was the only way to be together.

And of course I didn't want to divorce after 8 days of marriage. So I am fighting for my marriage, and see where it goes.

Plan B is a must, I think for everyone that comes here.......

Thank you and good luck!!

Timeline

I'm sorry but thats no excuse in my opinion to talk to other women...... you should ask him how he would feel if you were texting other men 'to see if you still got it'....ask him how that would make him feel.... im sorry your journey has been rough.... but in my opinion you should get out now... he's not going to be faithful or supportive... is that really who you want to be married to?? I think the love of your life is still out there....

Thanks, and that is exactly what I was afraid off......for sure it's just excuses.....I married a man 17 older than me, so I would assume that he would be looking to settle down, start a family, and that he wouldn't go partying or playing games, but that is the exact thing he did.........played and it really hurt me.

That's life.......box of surprises.....

Thanks and good luck in your journey!!!

Trust me, 2 years ago it wasnt like that. It took me 3 month to get the noa2. My whole process was 6 month since applied until I move in. And it was almost the same for the people who applied at the same around the same date. Things changed dramatically on august 2012.

The thing is, once you are here you are responsible for the next steps of your journey, and how long it takes. Some people come here with the idea of having a fairy tale wedding, which takes time to plan...so what happens? This people wait to the very end of the 90 days, to get marry and thennnnn apply for AOS. Im tired of reading about people who spent all their budget on their wedding, leaving them without a $$$ to pay for the GC. What is the right thing to do? get marry ASAP and apply for AOS ASAP. Once you are done, you have plenty of time to plan whatever you want to do.

I know we all dream about having a beautiful wedding and a great honey moon but the fact is that we are dealing with an immigration process. You still can go on a honeymoon whenever you want as long as you have your GC.

I know is a very overwhelming process but try to think about all the things you maybe did not do in time, and might be the reason of your delays

Or you could have the fairytale wedding like my wife and I had and then sit through the 16 month wait just for the I-130. You have to pick your poison.

I absolutely agree,K-1 is a pain in the butt..If I had to do it again it would go the CR-1 route..

You'd really go through with it given the HUGE processing times for I-130s right now? This isn't even taking into account the NVC and consulate stages.

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Yes, and yes. Exactly what I said in another post, that is definitely bothering me. And the process too. He kept saying and somehow right, in our case we did not date for a long time before I came here. But it was the only way, and we do love each other. I had my doubts about marriage also, but was the only way to be together.

And of course I didn't want to divorce after 8 days of marriage. So I am fighting for my marriage, and see where it goes.

Plan B is a must, I think for everyone that comes here.......

Thank you and good luck!!

Thank you, I know exactly what you mean, my hubby and I got marry after 10 month dating. It was a hard desicion in terms of, what if it doesn't workout? leaving my country, my loveones etc etc. But I had a leap of faith and than God my heart is the right place right now, but its basically a lotto. It's normal to be afraid and have doubts but texting another women, that's way too much for me. Maybe in my case, that would be enough to come back with my family and not get marry. But that's just me. I really hope you can fix your marriage and have a happy marry life together. good luck to u too sweetheart

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

Thank you, I know exactly what you mean, my hubby and I got marry after 10 month dating. It was a hard desicion in terms of, what if it doesn't workout? leaving my country, my loveones etc etc. But I had a leap of faith and than God my heart is the right place right now, but its basically a lotto. It's normal to be afraid and have doubts but texting another women, that's way too much for me. Maybe in my case, that would be enough to come back with my family and not get marry. But that's just me. I really hope you can fix your marriage and have a happy marry life together. good luck to u too sweetheart

Thanks. And I am really glad it worked out for you and your husband. And congratulations for the baby!

I wish I had known before........but I just found out 8 days after we got married, and 2 days after I sent my AOS......MY dad passed away 2 weeks before my interview, and my mom is going to stay with my brother in Miami for 6 months (he lives there).....so I honestly don't know.

It is too much, right? A man doesn't need to actually go and sleep with someone else.......21st century, new definition of "cheating" or cybercheating.

Let's see how it goes.......

:)

Timeline

Or you could have the fairytale wedding like my wife and I had and then sit through the 16 month wait just for the I-130. You have to pick your poison.

You'd really go through with it given the HUGE processing times for I-130s right now? This isn't even taking into account the NVC and consulate stages.

No process is easy......and I am sorry to hear about your long waiting.

I would have done CR1, even with the waiting time, is just that I prefer to wait while still working, and spend more time with family and friends, before waiting here......but yes, I am not whining, I am just exposing my opinion.

Good luck and for sure you will get an answer really soon!

I hope you are right.

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree the K1 is expensive and involves lots of waiting. Yes, it is nice to be united with loves one (although K1 is at times processing just as long as i-130). At times I think to myself, if I knew then what I know now I would have applied for the Cr-1. However, I agree with the OP this is an expensive route and does bring financial hardship. But I guess that is the sacrifice one makes to be with their loved one. Nothing is perfect, that's just life.

Definitely! I rather take it a few more months apart from my loved one, and wait in my country with my friends family and job.......

A few more months? You said you were able to move to the USA within 9 months of applying. Right now they're telling us CR1s that it will take SIXTEEN months for petition approval. I've been waiting almost 7 months, and there's still people who filed in January waiting 8-9 months. Just for petition approval. It's not a "few more months" it's almost double the wait time.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: Timeline

I might be really wrong and maybe the other options available are even worse, but in my opinion and for those looking for advice........don't ever go the K1 route!

The process is so long, so much money, time, papers, forms........and I know that happens with all immigration processes, but this one..........it never ends!

It took me 9 months to get here, then 2 months to get married, then more time, more money, more papers, and my EAD and AP haven't arrive yet........so we missed our honeymoon that it was supposed to be this week, and I just found the job of my dreams but I can't start because of this EAD!

To get my ID, it took me 4 trips to the MVA and a lot of begging so I wouldn't have to be carrying my passport with my visa everywhere, specially if I want one single glass of wine in a restaurant and they wlll only accept passports as proof of ID.

I love my husband, and really like this country, and I want to stay, but is just so hard to stay home for 5 months, I have always worked and don't want to ask my husband for money just to go to and have a coffee with a friend.

Those are my two pennies.......good luck anyway to everyone on the process!

I happen top agree with you but will say that it depends also on the country of the benficiary for the approval rate.

My advice to others would be to choose that path tha tmeets their values and then do the immigration path that matches that.

That K1 is faster than CR1 or vice versa is sometimes not accurate and the speed is at the whim of the unknowns.

PS: I do not see your post as showing lack of gratitiude, I see it as educational. Some people choose to see bad in everything. Just ignore them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Other processes are even longer, harder and maybe a bit more expensive. So K1 is your best bet.

e: And its not like everyone goes through such a hard time, i had a friend received his K1 in 160 days. It depends on different variables.

No, the CR1 takes generally the same amount of time, it is by far less expensive, and the day you set foot in the US you are a greencard holder. No waiting for EAD or having to submit more forms. You can work, get a drivers license, do pretty much anything right away

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.