ronnielee67

Con man trying to marry my daughter

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My step daughter has a 10 year green card. She is away at college. Not far , an hour drive. She's 21. She somehow met a Russian Boy (26) who is here alone and I think has a work visa. He is trying to get her to marry him. It is obvious that he doesn't so much care about her as he does about trying to stay in the country. He has nothing and barely makes enough to support himself. I am very concerned that he will try to get her pregnant . She's a very smart girl with a bright future but naïve. If he cared so much for her, he would better himself and not drag her into his desperate situation. I have no doubt that he is trying to use her. Any thoughts , questions, or ideas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

well if he knew better, he wouldn't be wasting his time with a green card holder, but went straight for the USC... she won't be able to help him out much because it takes a few years for a spouse of a PR's visa number to become available... tell him to go look else where

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My step daughter has a 10 year green card. She is away at college. Not far , an hour drive. She's 21. She somehow met a Russian Boy (26) who is here alone and I think has a work visa. He is trying to get her to marry him. It is obvious that he doesn't so much care about her as he does about trying to stay in the country. He has nothing and barely makes enough to support himself. I am very concerned that he will try to get her pregnant . She's a very smart girl with a bright future but naïve. If he cared so much for her, he would better himself and not drag her into his desperate situation. I have no doubt that he is trying to use her. Any thoughts , questions, or ideas?

Its your family issue, really not sure what you expect people to say. But she is a adult and within her rights to make up her own mind and choose her own life partner.

But end of the day its your family's problem and you should discuss this within yourself.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably not a work visa, but yes he would be much better of pitching for a USC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Suggest to her nicely that she inform him marriage to her is a long process,

he may then no longer show an interest, or if its only opportunity without having

to pay someone big bucks he may ride out whatever yrs it takes, many ppl will

jump thru any hoops necessary to get a GC......She however is an adult and

can do what pleases her....there's cultural differences that goes with all this but

don't harp on it and push her further in his arms...just tell her having a baby before

savings, fun-time, and stable jobs will cause a failed marriage.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

This is a really sensitive and private issue to begin with...but you could tell her to look a few years ahead, she is a young girl and if they get divorced soon if he is simply using her as you suggest then that would leave her divorced at age 22/23, that might not sound too appealing to her. In the end she is old enough to legally make these decisions for herself..it's a tough situation I'm sorry I hope things work out

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

invite him over, tell him to bring his papers.

once he's there, make a copy of his papers.

after he's gone, verify his papers with USCIS and the Department of State.

Report back when done.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Invite him over to your house and show him your collection of medieval weapons.....ask him if he wants to see how sharp they are....watch him run out the door

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Filed: Timeline

Inviting him over may not be a bad idea, be very nice to him, kill

him with kindness, let convo flows to topic ...his country...

then somewhere along the way slip in facts of how long the

filing process is for lpr petitioning someone, the costs & having to

obtain a co-sponsor,after this info he may move on to look a USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Try and get her pregnant? How will he do that without her consent? Obviously that is a separate conversation you need to have with your daughter

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

any news?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Work Visas forum to General Immigration Discussion -- more of a personal topic. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your legal responsibility and liability to a child in this country only last until that child is 18 years of age. After that you hope they have enough common sense not to do something stupid. And no longer a parent, but a friend to your child. Over that time while growing up, you have to develop a trustful and honest relationship.

Sounds like my stepdaughter received a far better deal than yours, she told me she was offered $20,000.00 if she married an immigrant. Of course she was aware of the consequences of taking up such an offer. What she shares in common is coming from a broken home like yours did and already knows the devastating effects on a bad marriage.

From here on, its her decision, we already did our jobs. Best you can do is to discuss the consequences of such an act, in a peaceful quiet type discussion. Rest is up to her.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Invite over.

Tell them both how happy you are for them and ask if they're going to be getting married soon.

Then go on to talk about the green card process and how it will take him 2 or 3 years to get one.

If daughter calls the next day in tears, congrats you scared him away.

If daughter calls the next day announcing engagement, so sorry, he actually loves her.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.