ukcharlotte

Driving Licence Hassle!

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I arrived in the US in October and I am waiting for my Green Card to arrive any day now (please see signature for more info). I started working as a nanny two weeks ago and thought it about time to start working towards my US driving licence (good weather, AOS finished with for 2 years, etc), but have come across a problem. I phoned the DMV to ask about the fee for the written test which I am due to take tomorrow, and during his lengthy run-through of what would happen if I passed, he mentioned that I would have to surrender my UK driving licence in order to get my US permit. I would then be 'demoted' to a learner and wouldn't be able to drive on my own.

Is that what everyone emigrating and wanting a US licence has to go through?

The earliest date available for the road test is June 14th, so it seems that if I pass the written test and get my permit I won't be able to drive alone for 4 weeks. Also, can they legally take your UK licence from you? What about driving if I go home to visit? And finally, can I take the written test and delay applying for the permit until closer to the driving test?

It seems a little fair to be demoted to learner again when you are trying to do the right thing by applying for the US licence and not relying on the UK one.

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

That's a drag. I think the laws must vary from state to state. When i lived in California for a year, I had to get a Cali DL within 2 weeks of becoming a resident there. I had to do a written test and a road test, but didn't have to go through the "Learner" stage.

Or maybe it's because of the other-side-of-the-road thing?

Edited by ricnally

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Up here in alaska they let me keep my swedish license. Had I had an out of state license they would have taken that but according to DMV up here they have no right to take a foreign license.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

OP: Your experience contradicts the CA DMV website.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

You will then be issued a permit if you have never been licensed before. When you practice, you must have an accompanying adult who is 18 years of age or older, with a valid California license. This person must be close enough to you to take control of the vehicle if necessary. It is illegal for you to drive alone.

If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.

That means you only get a driving permit if you have never had any license from anywhere before.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from General Immigration-Related Discussion~~~~

I didn't have to start over they just basically traded my Canadian license for an Arkansas one. They did take my Canadian license away said you can't have two, so it was either get nothing or turn in my Canadian one. It wasn't worth the fight to keep my Canadian one.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They cannot take your UK license. It is the property of the UK government. There is no agreement that I'm aware of. You do NOT need to show it to them. It has NO BEARING on your US license. They don't need to see it, don't need to copy it, it is irrelevant.

Sounds like you got someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

In most cases you will need to take the tests again sure, but you shouldn't start from the start

I would forget to take it with me and start from scratch. That's what most immigrants have to do anyway. Canadians often get special privileges. And I think Germany has some kind of treaty with most states on getting a license based on their foreign one. But everybody else generally gets a learners permit by written test and real license by taking the road test. My husband took his all the same day because a time slot was available and he didn't need any practice.

The guy on the phone was perhaps thinking of trading in a license from another state. Sometimes that happens. Can you confirm your state of residence? each state will be different.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They cannot take your UK license. It is the property of the UK government. There is no agreement that I'm aware of. You do NOT need to show it to them. It has NO BEARING on your US license. They don't need to see it, don't need to copy it, it is irrelevant.

Sounds like you got someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

In most cases you will need to take the tests again sure, but you shouldn't start from the start

Agreed, unless there is some kind of reciprocal agreement to recognize your current driving license, there is absolutely no reason to surrender it.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far. For reference, I'm living in Colorado and this is the link to the requirements for foreign nationals: http://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/smartstart/apply/newLicenseForeignNationals.jsf I spoke to a tier 2 supervisor regarding the matter as the guy who answered the phone was unsure.

I don't mind having to take the written and road tests, I'm just annoyed that getting a US permit invalidates my UK licence. I received my EAD over a month ago and was fortunate to start working two weeks later. Being unable to drive without being accompanied is going to mess with my job, particularly when I have been driving quite happily using my UK licence since October. I'll definitely speak to someone about it tomorrow and see what happens. If I do have to be accompanied once I receive a permit then I shall try and hold off on getting the permit until closer to the road test. Alternatively, I have found a third party who conduct road tests without having to wait 4 weeks for an appointment with the DMV. Their link, if you're curious about legitimacy, etc, is as follows: http://www.excelindriving.com/packages.htm#test

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Colorado does not take your UK license, no State can invalidate it. The worst case scenario is that you would get another one.

Technically once you move outside the Uk your Uk license is no more, you can not register a non UK address.

You go and do a very easy multiple guess 'exam' and get issued one pice of paper which you can drive on and then go back for the once around the block driving exam and get the full license.

The Motor Bike test is harder btw.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just made my US Drivers License. Nobody at the DMV ever wanted to see my German license, so I still have it and frankly they couldn't just take it away or invalidate it. I'll need it when I travel to Germany.

In North Carolina since 2005

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far. For reference, I'm living in Colorado and this is the link to the requirements for foreign nationals: http://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/smartstart/apply/newLicenseForeignNationals.jsf I spoke to a tier 2 supervisor regarding the matter as the guy who answered the phone was unsure.

I don't mind having to take the written and road tests, I'm just annoyed that getting a US permit invalidates my UK licence. I received my EAD over a month ago and was fortunate to start working two weeks later. Being unable to drive without being accompanied is going to mess with my job, particularly when I have been driving quite happily using my UK licence since October. I'll definitely speak to someone about it tomorrow and see what happens. If I do have to be accompanied once I receive a permit then I shall try and hold off on getting the permit until closer to the road test. Alternatively, I have found a third party who conduct road tests without having to wait 4 weeks for an appointment with the DMV. Their link, if you're curious about legitimacy, etc, is as follows: http://www.excelindriving.com/packages.htm#test

Your UK driving license is invalid, because you are now a resident of the state of Colorado and as such you are required to have a Colorado driving license.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well here's the thing... you're no longer a "foreign national"... well you won't be. So the part you read is here: http://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/smartstart/apply/newAdultLicense.jsf about how to get a new adult license. The foreign national part is for people here on student visas, work visas etc.

You will start the permit as in, you get it first but as others stated you can just take the rest of the testing to get the advanced license.

In my example for instance I had to get a permit first as well. I COULD have taken the driving portion immediately and got a "full" license but my insurance doesn't cover foreign licenses so I had to get the permit, get on insurance, then go for the driving portion.

Oh man, I mixed CSC with living in CA. d'oh! The new format is odd...

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

It's not going to help the OP, but the DMV in CA wanted to see my french DL. I showed it to them (they wanted to see the expiration date, but there's not) and they gave it back to me.

In NY though, the DMV says you MUST surrender your foreign DL... Crazy.

"When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license.

"

(http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#driversfromothernations)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.