Still_Blessed

Must I visit??

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am wondering if it is mandatory that I meet my fiance first before petitioning him to come to the states?I just got a promotion at work and cannot leave my job just yet..also, how long do we have to be in a relationship before petitioning?We have been talking/chatting for almost a year..but have only been serious for about a month:/

Thanks for any and all input:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lagos is an exceptionally difficult consulate. That aside, according to the I129F instrutions you MUST have physically met within the last 2 years. If you have not met, then you cannot petition.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I am wondering if it is mandatory that I meet my fiance first before petitioning him to come to the states?I just got a promotion at work and cannot leave my job just yet..also, how long do we have to be in a relationship before petitioning?We have been talking/chatting for almost a year..but have only been serious for about a month:/

You must have met physically in the last two years in order to petition.

Save up your vacation time, go visit him or vice versa, and spend a couple weeks together. As someone already mentioned, that is a tough consulate so you will need good evidence.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes it is mandatory to meet your fiance before you petition for him, that is the requirement of the I-129F petition.

The length of time you are in a relationship doesn't matter when you petition... but you two should meet in person before filing.

Good luck on your journey :star:

You must have met physically in the last two years in order to petition.

Save up your vacation time, go visit him or vice versa, and spend a couple weeks together. As someone already mentioned, that is a tough consulate so you will need good evidence.

:thumbs:

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Technically, you can ask for a waiver, but you must prove there is no way at all that you an meet (absolute religiously forbidden, even with a chaperone; US petitioner cannot leave the USA for medical reasons, foreign beneficiary has tried several times to get a tourist visa and failed). Not being able to meet right now is not a reason- wait a year or two till you have vacation time, then go.

Additionally, as mentioned above, you will be going through the most difficult US embassy to get an approval in (NIgeria). So to get a good chance of approval, you need to spend significant time together, preferably several visit of several weeks. Do you have any red flags, such as age or religious difference, or educational differences?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes you must have met in person within two years prior to the filing.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As others have mentioned you could try for a wavier of meeting with about a 5% chance the wavier would work, and if denied your fees are gone ( and you have wasted your time ) Lagos is a whole different level of proof needed, to have a good chance of approval by the time of the interview it is best if you have spent at least a month together ( face to face) If you have red flags ( age difference , race differece, religious difference ) it will be hardedr to convince Lagos that he isn't using you to escape Nigeria. Some believe that CR1''s ( marriage) visas are approved the first time more often but a lot relies on the completeness of the petition package.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How much of an age difference would be a "red flag?"

It depends on the country and which person is older. For example, in some countries like the Philippines, it is culturally normal for the man to be significantly older than the wife, so getting a couple of an age difference approved there is not that difficult. But in middle eastern countries, it would be rare to have a female who is much older than her husband, especially if she is past childbearing age and he is not- so that would be seen as a red flag.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.