ontherocks

Unable to renew DL even with ROC & Biometrics Letter

19 posts in this topic

Hi folks!

I tried to extend my OH driver's license that will expire in Feb, and I brought along my GC and I-751 receipt notice (the one stating the one-year extension). The BMV lady, after consulting with the state USCIS office, told me that 1) the letter doesn't prove that my green card renewal has been approved and that 2) my GC is only temporary because it's conditional, i.e. I don't really have a green card. She will not extend my DL and told me that she needed to see the biometrics letter. After an hour of driving back and forth, I returned with the letter only to be told that the letter wouldn't work because it was just an appointment notice. I pointed out that I have been through the biometrics and showed her the stamp. She called USCIS again who told her that the letters would not work. She told me again that my GC is only temporary, and that I need to wait until I receive the approval letter before she would renew it. I tried to explain that it would take months for it to be approved, and that the letters I showed her were the only ones I'll have until then.

Very simply, she said the one-year extension doesn't work for BMV because the letter states that it was only valid for working and traveling - it did not specifically SPELL OUT for BMV that she could use it.

What should I do? Try at another office in hopes that someone else will know what they're doing? Get my passport stamped at UCCIS?

So frustrated...Please help. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi folks!

I tried to extend my OH driver's license that will expire in Feb, and I brought along my GC and I-751 receipt notice (the one stating the one-year extension). The BMV lady, after consulting with the state USCIS office, told me that 1) the letter doesn't prove that my green card renewal has been approved and that 2) my GC is only temporary because it's conditional, i.e. I don't really have a green card. She will not extend my DL and told me that she needed to see the biometrics letter. After an hour of driving back and forth, I returned with the letter only to be told that the letter wouldn't work because it was just an appointment notice. I pointed out that I have been through the biometrics and showed her the stamp. She called USCIS again who told her that the letters would not work. She told me again that my GC is only temporary, and that I need to wait until I receive the approval letter before she would renew it. I tried to explain that it would take months for it to be approved, and that the letters I showed her were the only ones I'll have until then.

Very simply, she said the one-year extension doesn't work for BMV because the letter states that it was only valid for working and traveling - it did not specifically SPELL OUT for BMV that she could use it.

What should I do? Try at another office in hopes that someone else will know what they're doing? Get my passport stamped at UCCIS?

So frustrated...Please help. Thank you!

Get back there and tell them that the letter extends your green card, that means your green card is still valid for a year. Tell her since your green card is still valid you should be able to get the Driver's license. Tell her to call the USCIS office and ask them about the letter of extension and explain it to her. Tell her to ask them if it's a proof that you are lawful here for the duration of the letter. They are extremely stupid.

Get back there and tell them that the letter extends your green card, that means your green card is still valid for a year. Tell her since your green card is still valid you should be able to get the Driver's license. Tell her to call the USCIS office and ask them about the letter of extension and explain it to her. Tell her to ask them if it's a proof that you are lawful here for the duration of the letter. They are extremely stupid.

Thanks! The annoying thing is that the USCIS office is the one telling her that the extension letter is no use for DMV... :bonk:

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks! The annoying thing is that the USCIS office is the one telling her that the extension letter is no use for DMV... :bonk:

Go to different DMV office. You should have no problem with the license reneval based on the extension letter.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Another office should work. Also, don't discount your local state rep - your Ohio State Senator [NOT your US senator] or General Assemblyperson - they are the ones who should be able to intervene with state agencies.

You need to get an Infopass to your local USCIS office and get your passport stamped.I've been told by an I.O. that the letter has more like an internal(for USCIS) purpose and some institutions may not recognize it as proof of residency.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would get the I-551 stamp in your passport. Shouldn't have any issues with that.

Filed: Other Timeline

The first thing a foreigner has to learn in the United States is that human beings are of different intelligence levels. People who are so dumb that they will not be able to get any other job end up often at the SSA or DMV. If you encounter a drone, it's (1) important that you know your sh*t and (2) that you are prepared to make your case.

If you encounter a retard at the DMV office, you need to explain that the extension letter is a formal letter from the United States government that extends your Green Card's validity for another year. Explain it like you have an invalid driver's license and when you go to the DMV and they check your paperwork and take a photo, all you get is a printout allowing you to drive until your newly manufactured driver's license arrives in the mail.

If that doesn't work, you ask for the office manager. Be prepared to wait for him and her, and the first thing you do is file a formal complaint against the DMV employee. Then you will get the manager's attention. It is very unlikely that a DMV office manager is as stupid as one of the drones, so this should work.

The USCIS will not give you a stamp if you have a Green Card and a letter from them that tells everyone with English skills that your Green Card is still valid for another year.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Be persistant, got my wifes extended with no issues in AZ, good luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Obviously the worker you encountered doesn't have a clue. You should have asked for a supervisor

I think the entire branch didn't have a clue. Her supervisor said, "I've never seen this before. Must be a new thing or I would have known what it was" and was the one who asked the BMV lady to call USCIS. The USCIS officer then somehow changed on my file that I am a temporary PR. The BMV lady then consulted her manager, who believed the USCIS officer. So back to square one. :bonk:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

If a year work permit allows you to get a drivers license in any states then a green card should in any way, sharp or perform. The employer doesn't understand what she's doing. I agreer with everyone else, take your case to the offices manager and you will be fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just keep asking for a higher level manager until you get a person who knows ####### they are talking (well, YOU are talking) about.

Shouldn't be that hard to renew the license, so I'm sorry to hear your DMV is making it difficult.

Like others have suggested go to another office, and ask for an office manager right away if anyone is being stupid.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wouuld make sure the branch you go to is in a major city or larger city where the people are more intune to the immigration issues. Sometimes these smaller branches are not as educated on immigration rules.

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.