D&Q

problems with the DS-260 option about SSN

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi D&Q,

Sorry to hear that. But thank you so much for sharing your experience regarding social security card. This indeed, will be of great help to those who are applying the same services to the US.

GOd Speed!..

JohnC.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi D&Q,

Sorry to hear that. But thank you so much for sharing your experience regarding social security card. This indeed, will be of great help to those who are applying the same services to the US.

GOd Speed!..

JohnC.

Your welcome! :]

ROC Timeline:

August 22, 2014: Sent I-751

August 25, 2014: NOA1 received

September 5, 2014: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

September 19, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Same happened to us. When I posted about it in 2011, the response was that this happens from time to time.

does this happen often or is it rare ?

Just wondering , caus we selected the option in our ds-230 also.

5/1/2022 - Filed I-130 For Mom

5/1/2022 - NOA1

OP,

I absolutely agree with you my hubby(the petitioner) checked the box but when I received my green card and waited for another week for the SSN that never came in the mail, We decided to go to the nearest SSA office here and glad that I was on their system and didn't took to long. I received my SSN card in the mail 3-4days after I applied for it :dance:

ROC
08.11.2014 - Sent I-751
08.13.2014 - NOA
09.12.2014 - Biometric Appt
02.23.2015 - Card on Production (Decision Letter)
03.09.2015 - Greencard received

N-400

07.27.2016 - Sent Application for Citizenship

07.29.2016 - NOA1

08.15.2016 - Fingerprint

02.13.2017 - Interview Date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yep, this 'pattern' of not receiving a SSN hasn't changed this year or last.

It's like a really cool 'carrot on a stick' scenario...

Seriously, it's 'hit or miss' on receiving one - I say go to a local SSA office 2 weeks after POE date, see whats what (in the SAVE database system with a SSA clerk) and apply..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yep, this 'pattern' of not receiving a SSN hasn't changed this year or last.

It's like a really cool 'carrot on a stick' scenario...

Seriously, it's 'hit or miss' on receiving one - I say go to a local SSA office 2 weeks after POE date, see whats what (in the SAVE database system with a SSA clerk) and apply..

Just wanted to update this thread... it's 2014 and DHS/USCIS still apparently has issues with the SSN requests from the DS-260.. My husband entered 3 weeks ago and we went to the SS office and they still have nothing on record for him. It's such a pain because you can't do ANYTHING without a SSN. What is the point of having the option on the form if it only works some of the time?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and our 3 kids didn't have any issues receiving their SS cards back in 2011.

Unfortunately, I was in the same situation as D&Q. After waiting for the SS card for more than 2 weeks, we decided to make a follow-up and alas my SS was not processed at POE. Had to apply for it myself. biggrin.png

When you go to the SSA office, bring your passport and original birth and marriage certificates.

• 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We had the same problem. I had even been told to gently remind the CBP officer that we had checked the box on the form. He then said, "Oh, you can just go to your local office and get one." Sure enough, my spouse's did not come through.

Now...somewhere I read that when you check the box on the DS-260, you should allow "two to three weeks" for your card to arrive. My suspicion is that your request, which is (supposed to be) generated at the POE by the officer by ticking a box on their input screen, goes into a queue where a SSN clerk somewhere wades through the requests, and this queue is taking forever.

If getting to your local Social Security office is NOT an issue, then don't check the box on the DS-260 and take care of it yourself. You'll get the card in about a week!

Your I-551 stamp in your passport is proof of age and ID, but it might be good to bring your birth certificate with you, if you have one. If a clerk says your passport stamp isn't good enough, ask for a supervisor, and then if you STILL have problems, tell them to look it up in their own manual. Better yet, print and carry this document with you: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Please remember - the I-551 machine readable visa in your passport, together with the stamp you received at POE is supposed to be accepted by the Social Security office. You do NOT need the wallet-sized "Green Card". Some clerks do not understand this.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 1 month later...

We had the same problem. I had even been told to gently remind the CBP officer that we had checked the box on the form. He then said, "Oh, you can just go to your local office and get one." Sure enough, my spouse's did not come through.

Now...somewhere I read that when you check the box on the DS-260, you should allow "two to three weeks" for your card to arrive. My suspicion is that your request, which is (supposed to be) generated at the POE by the officer by ticking a box on their input screen, goes into a queue where a SSN clerk somewhere wades through the requests, and this queue is taking forever.

If getting to your local Social Security office is NOT an issue, then don't check the box on the DS-260 and take care of it yourself. You'll get the card in about a week!

Your I-551 stamp in your passport is proof of age and ID, but it might be good to bring your birth certificate with you, if you have one. If a clerk says your passport stamp isn't good enough, ask for a supervisor, and then if you STILL have problems, tell them to look it up in their own manual. Better yet, print and carry this document with you: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Please remember - the I-551 machine readable visa in your passport, together with the stamp you received at POE is supposed to be accepted by the Social Security office. You do NOT need the wallet-sized "Green Card". Some clerks do not understand this.

Sukie

I remembered you mentioning this a couple months ago and when my husband entered on Monday, I made a point to ask about that. He told me they don't handle that and we need to go to the office, but if we requested for it to be generated on the DS-260, then we should have no issues.

So either the CBP was lying to us or some policy had changed that hasn't trickled down to us 'common folk' yet (neither of which would surprise me).

POE was so anti-climatic I swear something wasn't processed correctly...

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Had the same problem with my father and mother's cases.

Father entered the US and never received the SSN. So, knowing that we took my mother to the social security office 2 days after POE to apply for a number but her request was denied based on the grounds that she has to wait 3 weeks after POE before she can apply for a social security number. 3 weeks later still no SSN. I called the local SS office and was lucky to get a very nice lady who apparently deals with these situations. She looked up both my father and mother's information and told me that they never received the information from NVC. She also stated that this is very common and 50% of the time they do not receive the information for persons who check the box on ds260.

Timeline

Had the same problem with my father and mother's cases.

Father entered the US and never received the SSN. So, knowing that we took my mother to the social security office 2 days after POE to apply for a number but her request was denied based on the grounds that she has to wait 3 weeks after POE before she can apply for a social security number. 3 weeks later still no SSN. I called the local SS office and was lucky to get a very nice lady who apparently deals with these situations. She looked up both my father and mother's information and told me that they never received the information from NVC. She also stated that this is very common and 50% of the time they do not receive the information for persons who check the box on ds260.

I actually think it only works well about 25% of the time. We waited only 11 days after POE, and the local SSN office was fabulous. My spouse got her card 3 days later!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

• 8 months later...
Timeline

does this happen often or is it rare ?

Just wondering , caus we selected the option in our ds-230 also.

It is quite common. If your card doesn't come within about 2 weeks of POE, then go to your local office. I even reminded the Immigration Officer at POE - because they have to do something when you are at POE to connect your info to the Social Security Administration. Still, two weeks later, when we checked with our local office, we were NOT in the system.

Be proactive.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.