D&Q

problems with the DS-260 option about SSN

38 posts in this topic

Just wanted to add that this is still going on now !😡

Arrived since Dec 7th 2019 and still no social security number. My green card only turned up on the 7th Feb  2020 and now I know for sure (after reading this forum) that the SSN isn't going to come. I'm Orlando Florida, the guy who handled my POE wasn't exactly helpful at all, so I guess I'm not surprised it never got sent now...and yes I did check that box on the ds-260 form. So now have to try and figure out how to get to my nearest SSN office and see what they have to say.

My advice, don't tick it. Just do it yourself when you arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Natasha19 said:

Just wanted to add that this is still going on now !😡

Arrived since Dec 7th 2019 and still no social security number. My green card only turned up on the 7th Feb  2020 and now I know for sure (after reading this forum) that the SSN isn't going to come. I'm Orlando Florida, the guy who handled my POE wasn't exactly helpful at all, so I guess I'm not surprised it never got sent now...and yes I did check that box on the ds-260 form. So now have to try and figure out how to get to my nearest SSN office and see what they have to say.

My advice, don't tick it. Just do it yourself when you arrive.

Any update on your trip to the SS office?  I would be wanting to work right away and I'm concerned about running into this issue.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 2/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, saraannbailey said:

Any update on your trip to the SS office?  I would be wanting to work right away and I'm concerned about running into this issue.  

We went to our local office, and had the card within one week.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 9 months later...

An update during the pandemic. 

So its been 2 weeks since my husband arrived, we got the green card but no ssn. And since our  local SSA is for appointments only and closed for walk-ins, calling for the appointment takes an hour. The lady was nice. She DIRECTLY told us that they dont automatically issue a SSN thru DS-260 anymore. IF SO, THEY SHOULDVE JUST TOOK OUT THAT OPTION FOR SSN IN THE FORM. Only thing is that it takes 2 to 3 months to ISSUE an appointment. Thats not even the appointment itself. So im probably looking into 4 or 5 months on getting my hubby's SSN. This is crazy. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I read a post previously that they no longer issue them automatically before I entered and was giving them 2 weeks + some since COVID. 

About 3 weeks now, nothing yet. 

Since they aren’t open for walk in, called today and had to wait for about 30min before I got through to talk, was asked if I had my documents and told that

they will call me back within 2-3 weeks to give me an appointment date and to NOT call them back. Unless I don’t receive a call back after a month then.. I can call them back. 😂 now to wait. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, Muffinji said:

I read a post previously that they no longer issue them automatically before I entered and was giving them 2 weeks + some since COVID. 

About 3 weeks now, nothing yet. 

Since they aren’t open for walk in, called today and had to wait for about 30min before I got through to talk, was asked if I had my documents and told that

they will call me back within 2-3 weeks to give me an appointment date and to NOT call them back. Unless I don’t receive a call back after a month then.. I can call them back. 😂 now to wait. 

Hi!! I’m in the same situation months after yours. How long did it take for them to call you and what ended up happening? Thank you in advance! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Baja Mitch said:

Hi!! I’m in the same situation months after yours. How long did it take for them to call you and what ended up happening? Thank you in advance! 

Hi, i called back again after a month.. and it seemed like nothing was actually done after my previous call almost the same conversation but then the person on the line asked what visa etc and even said my visa type is not eligible for work even when I corrected and said it is. Got the same reply at the end of wait for them to call back. 

No call backs and I got my green card in hand ( good job USCIS! ) and called them again saying I’ve been waiting but no contact on their side AND my green card has even arrived / I have green card in hand but still no social security. 

The moment they heard me say ‘I have my green card in hand’ they instantly said they can schedule and appointment for me which was the first slot available 2 weeks from then. They did confirm that I have my green card with me multiple times. 

=.= likely they aren’t well versed with the ‘visa types’ and don’t want to schedule appointment unless they are 100% sure you’re eligible for it was how it felt in my case... good luck. 

On 5/29/2021 at 9:11 AM, Muffinji said:

Hi, i called back again after a month.. and it seemed like nothing was actually done after my previous call almost the same conversation but then the person on the line asked what visa etc and even said my visa type is not eligible for work even when I corrected and said it is. Got the same reply at the end of wait for them to call back. 

No call backs and I got my green card in hand ( good job USCIS! ) and called them again saying I’ve been waiting but no contact on their side AND my green card has even arrived / I have green card in hand but still no social security. 

The moment they heard me say ‘I have my green card in hand’ they instantly said they can schedule and appointment for me which was the first slot available 2 weeks from then. They did confirm that I have my green card with me multiple times. 

=.= likely they aren’t well versed with the ‘visa types’ and don’t want to schedule appointment unless they are 100% sure you’re eligible for it was how it felt in my case... good luck. 

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I’m about to get my green card as my case tracking says “CARD WAS MAILED TO ME”. I’ll try to call again. Social security office person told me they will be calling me within 2 weeks, still nothing. It’s the first week though. I will be calling back once I receive my green card. Again, thank you for taking the time. 💕

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.