D&Q

problems with the DS-260 option about SSN

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Same problem! Just posted the question myself: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/562809-ssn-number-through-online-ds-260/

Have been waiting for 3 weeks now and even started working in the USA! Can't get paid until I have my SSN so I am going into the SSA office on Wednesday to apply for SSN directly. According to the field office it should only take two weeks for them to process the card.

Not sure why NVC advised to check the box in the D-260 form if it takes months! It is impossible to do anything without SSN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

From what I understand, the officer at POE has to click a box that sends your data to the SSA. We even REMINDED our POE officer to do so. He told us to go in person.

So even if you check a box on the DS-260, it still takes a human being to generate the "send" of the info to the Social Security Administration. This only seems to happen correctly about 50% of the time. I'm sure that some POEs are fabulous about it, and some are terrible. Ours was JFK.

It might be interesting to see which POEs work and which don't!

Bottom line...2 or 3 weeks after you enter the US, go to your local Social Security Office armed with your visa in your passport and apply in person. We got the SSN card 4 days later!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Timeline

When my in-laws immigrated last December, we checked the box to have a SSN created for them on their DS-260. Sure enough it didn't come and I had to take them to a local SSA office, 11 days after arrival to apply for their SSN. Luckily the SSN came in the mail 4 days later that they were able to meet the cut-off to apply for health insurance under the affordable care act.

The Social Security Administration has the same type of program (automatic registration) for newborns. When my wife and I filled out the paperwork to register our child's birth at the hospital after she was born, there was a question on the form that asked if we wanted the information forwarded to SSA in order for them to create a SSN. Based on our experience with my in-laws not receiving their SSN automatically, I was a little hesitant but decided that it was worth a shot. To our surprise our newborn received her Social Security Card in the mail two weeks later.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks! Also the SSA advised me to go to my local SSA office, because it can take months before immigration processes the SSN. So I followed their advise and received the SSN in the mail 4 days later.

It is a pain to wait in line for over an hour but it is definitely worth it!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

From what I understand, the officer at POE has to click a box that sends your data to the SSA. We even REMINDED our POE officer to do so. He told us to go in person.

So even if you check a box on the DS-260, it still takes a human being to generate the "send" of the info to the Social Security Administration. This only seems to happen correctly about 50% of the time. I'm sure that some POEs are fabulous about it, and some are terrible. Ours was JFK.

It might be interesting to see which POEs work and which don't!

Bottom line...2 or 3 weeks after you enter the US, go to your local Social Security Office armed with your visa in your passport and apply in person. We got the SSN card 4 days later!

Sukie in NY

Hi Sukie,

Is there a way to tell if the POE officer is sending your data to the SSA while you are standing in front of them, or do you automatically have to remind them to do it?

A friend of mine whose wife went through the K1 process said to go to the local SSA office and apply immediately without waiting the 2 to 3 weeks.

ROC Timeline
Service Center: Vermont
90 Day Window Opened....08/22/17
I-751 Packet Sent..............08/23/17
NOA1 Dated.......................08/25/17
NOA1 Mailed......................08/30/17
NOA1 Received..................09/02/17
Check Cashed....................08/31/17
Biometrics Mailed...............09/20/17
Biometrics Received..........09/22/17
Biometrics Appointment.....10/03/17
Approved............................09/24/18

N400 Timeline

90 Day Window Opens...........08/22/18

N-400 Filed (Online)...............08/23/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/24/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/31/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/21/18

In Line For Interview.............05/23/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............05/24/19

Interview................................07/01/19

Oath.......................................07/17/19

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 7/27/2014 at 0:02 PM, Sukie said:

We had the same problem. I had even been told to gently remind the CBP officer that we had checked the box on the form. He then said, "Oh, you can just go to your local office and get one." Sure enough, my spouse's did not come through.

Now...somewhere I read that when you check the box on the DS-260, you should allow "two to three weeks" for your card to arrive. My suspicion is that your request, which is (supposed to be) generated at the POE by the officer by ticking a box on their input screen, goes into a queue where a SSN clerk somewhere wades through the requests, and this queue is taking forever.

If getting to your local Social Security office is NOT an issue, then don't check the box on the DS-260 and take care of it yourself. You'll get the card in about a week!

Your I-551 stamp in your passport is proof of age and ID, but it might be good to bring your birth certificate with you, if you have one. If a clerk says your passport stamp isn't good enough, ask for a supervisor, and then if you STILL have problems, tell them to look it up in their own manual. Better yet, print and carry this document with you: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Please remember - the I-551 machine readable visa in your passport, together with the stamp you received at POE is supposed to be accepted by the Social Security office. You do NOT need the wallet-sized "Green Card". Some clerks do not understand this.

Sukie

2017... Still works for me! TYSM for the PDF-link on Social Security! And many related experiences from others here! Appreciate!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My wife checked to apply for SSN on the DS-260 months ago. We have been waiting for this in the US for 6 weeks.  I'm going into my local office to talk to them.  I've been waiting on the US government for years for various applications.  When can we get on with our lives and start living it?  They're a bunch of paper pushers.

• 8 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I know it's an old topic, but I was wondering if the problem still existed. I ticked the box on the DS-260 but now seeing this I'm wondering if it's possible to tell the officer at the POE that I don't want it. So I can go get it myself. It might be faster and since I will need my SSN for everything from work to bank account or driving license...

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Matthieu

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My wife did manage to get her SS# but it took a long time. We called our local office and after a few people confirmed that the request wasn't in the system, we applied for a new # locally. 

The DS-260 shouldn't have that bogus option if it doesn't work, all it does is cause a massive delay as your local SSA may tell you to wait a number of months to "see" if your SS card arrives in the mail at your address. Ours never arrived - but we're good now! Just be polite - the people in our local office were great - very friendly and helpful. 

• 7 months later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi all, 

I checked the box on Ds-260 also but had to leave US right after got my greencard for resuming contract job.

Now  the embassy that deals with social security issues is in manila, philliphines. 

Do you think it is reasonable to contact them and let them know I had opted for SSN delivery at my mentioned address so they can fix things up from there. 

Anyone had any similar experiences? 

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Just to confirm that this is indeed STILL happening. My husband did not get his SS card after 3 weeks, and, nope, despite the request on the DS 260, the SS office had not been alerted. He asked for the card there and we got it about a week later.

October 2011: Met in Spain

2012-2014: Video chat + visas + visits and vacations = we made it through!

June 2014: Moved to Spain, got engaged 

December 31, 2015: got married

April 20, 2016: sent I130 package

May 2, 2016: package received in Chicago Lockbox - - - 12 days for delivery!! Don't use TNT couriers!! 

May 2nd or 5th, 2016: email NOA1... accepted and sent to.... NEBRASKA 

And now.... breeeeeeathe..... be like water my friend....

October 26th, 2016: NOA2 [We had waited almost 6 months. Received notification from the phone app, never got an email.]

November 9th 2016: USCIS sent the petition to NVC (app notification) [waited 2 weeks after approval for this]

November 25th 2016: NVC received and created account for our petition [waited 16 days after USCIS sent it, for NVC to acknowledge receipt]

Dec 1st 2016: Chose agent online DS261 [a few days later than it could've been since the above NVC email went to SPAM!]

Dec 6th 2016: Case available for paying fees. That was fast, I think! 5 days!

Took a long time to get package out because... life... and husband's family in Morocco had to travel to get police document.

Feb 20th 2017: Scan date at NVC, received weird email.

April 28th 2017: CHECKLIST. Moroccans are required to send a Court Report regardless of Police Record status. My husband had to go back to Morocco to get it in person. Also, NVC wants a 2016 tax return now that is 2017. My bad.

September 15th 2017: 2nd Scan Date at NVC. Sent for document review October 20th.

Nov 10th 2017: Email requesting document be brought to interview. Will schedule interview.

Case complete date??: TBD :clock:.... November 8th!!

Interview date : January 18, 2018!!           Result: Administrative Processing      :mellow:

Embassy called for new medical last week of August. New Medical Sept 10.

Visa ISSUED September 14, 2018. :blink:

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Still a problem (although this might be due to the government shutdown)

01/23/19: Arrival in the US
01/28/19: We went to the SS office as instructed by my husband's employer, to check if my data was forwarded by DHS. According to them, even if we checked YES on the SSN portion in the DS-260, problems usually occur with family members/derivatives, not the principal applicant. We were able to apply for mine without filling out an application form (they just photocopied my passport), so I guess the information was indeed forwarded. I was told to expect it in the mail after one week.
02/04/19: Still no SSN after one week. We decided not to call for follow-up since according to the SSA website, it could take up to 2 weeks
Today, still no SSN. Will go back to the SS office tomorrow for any update

Filed: IR-5 Country: Colombia
Timeline

Still a problem for us too!!

12/15/18: arrival to US

01/16/19: letter from USCIS for more fingerprints,  Looks like it was a problem with the fingerprints at airport

02/06/19: appointment for fingerprints

still waiting for Social Security Card....

02/13/19: Green Card arrived!!!!

02/19/19: SURPRISE!!!!!! at the SS office we found out that not Social Security Number Issued yet!!! after 2 months of waiting. We were told that to wait another 10 days 

We are still in the sweet waiting time !!!

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Update:

Since my post last week, I have yet to receive my card.

02/15/19: Went back to the SS office. According to the SS office employee, my number was generated the same day that I went to the SS office (01/28/19) and my card was mailed. He requested for a new card to be generated since I never received mine. I just asked for my number since I need it to register for an exam
02/21/19: Still no card but at least I have the number

• 11 months later...

Our situation too!
Customs/immigration person at POE even said that it's not possible to get SS card sent out automatically (contrary to the DS-260, ha!)... and told us we would have to go in person.

And yeah, green card came 5 weeks after POE but no SS at all...

Thankfully SS card only takes 1-2 weeks and the process was easy :)

Let's see how long this DCF CR-1 takes! 😀
2019-05-22  I-130 Filed
2019-05-28  NOA1

2019-08-12  NOA2

2019-08-23  :  Packet 3 😎

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.