earthwormgym

Advise needed- newly-married couple, incredibly stressed out!!

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

SO this is a massive call out for help, and I would like to apologise ahead of time if these questions have already been answered- we are tired of going through pages and pages of forums and official government websites, and reading comparative answers, haha!

BACKGROUND:

My wife (American) and I (British) recently got married in the US- 19th April 2012 to be precise. Since then, we have been looking into our options for me to move over to the US to join my wife.

From what we currently understand, STEP ONE of this ordeal is to file the I-130, which is a form she fills out and includes supporting documents (such as marriage certificate, G-345 for each of us etc.)

But this is where we get lost.....

From what we read on the London embassy website AND from what an advisor from the USCIS told us, once we receive the receipt of I-130 (I-797?) we would then send the I-129F, thus going down the K3 route. However, from what I'm reading on this forum (and others), is that the K3 visa is now redundant/dead, and it's not better to apply for a CR-1 visa (since we have been married for less than two years.)

Additionally, our main worry is being apart for so long- I mean, can they really expect newly-weds to be apart for 6-12 months during this whole process?! As you can imagine, we are both getting very stressed with this.

Anyway, we would certainly appreciate any advice that people have and if indeed they have been in a similar situation and know the easy way through it. Of course, there doesn't seem to be Pros without Cons, but we want the personally approved approach to this process, so we can be together and get on with our lives!

Many thanks to all in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, the K-3 is dead. It has been for 2 years

Follow the guide below for the CR-1 spousal visa

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

As for the separation, it is part of this process. USCIS does not care that you'll miss your wife. Sorry, but they don't. They don't care if the wife gets pregnant or the flu or both. They do care, however, if your spouse is set for immediate deployment to a combat zone, is dying, or both.

You can always visit, but entrance and duration of stay is never a guarentee

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Yes, the K-3 is dead. It has been for 2 years

Follow the guide below for the CR-1 spousal visa

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

As for the separation, it is part of this process. USCIS does not care that you'll miss your wife. Sorry, but they don't. They don't care if the wife gets pregnant or the flu or both. They do care, however, if your spouse is set for immediate deployment to a combat zone, is dying, or both.

You can always visit, but entrance and duration of stay is never a guarentee

Good luck

Hi Canadian_wife,

Thanks so much for your speedy response!

Everything you mention seems to be right on the money- USCIS SHOULD care about separation, but they DON'T- just one of those unfair things in life.

Thanks for sending me the link- I'll make sure we follow those steps closely. If I have any other questions, Ill be sure to ask.

Regards,

Hi Canadian_wife,

Thanks so much for your speedy response!

Everything you mention seems to be right on the money- USCIS SHOULD care about separation, but they DON'T- just one of those unfair things in life.

Thanks for sending me the link- I'll make sure we follow those steps closely. If I have any other questions, Ill be sure to ask.

Regards,

SO new question- haha- on the link you sent, it asks for evidence of Bonafide Marriage- well, we do not meet any of the suggested criteria since we were both students last year and haven't lived in a property together/have a shared bank account etc. Will they accept documents that show the nature of our relationship prior to the marriage, such as call records?

thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K3- an obsolete visa- to CR-1 spousal visa forum ****

Yes, provide whatever evidence you can. Time spent together is important so photos (esp with family), receipts of hotels or plane tickets, as well as emails, phone bills etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Where are you presently? In the US or UK?

Where are you presently? In the US or UK?

I'm currently in the UK and she is in the US- she has been visiting me this week, so we could try and sort it all out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

First of all - of course USCIS doesn't care about separations. It's not their job to care, it's their job to process a gazillion of visa applications and that they do. It simply takes as long as it takes, sorry. And it's not like you can't visit her and vice versa while you wait for your visa to be all done and ready :-)

SO new question- haha- on the link you sent, it asks for evidence of Bonafide Marriage- well, we do not meet any of the suggested criteria since we were both students last year and haven't lived in a property together/have a shared bank account etc. Will they accept documents that show the nature of our relationship prior to the marriage, such as call records?

thanks again!

Include each other on each other's bank accounts, add each other on credit cards, house/appartment lease contracts and so on. The more evidence you have, the less likely you are to receive a Request For Evidence (RFE) during your CR-1 visa process.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

it's their job to process a gazillion of visa applications and that they do.

USCIS does not process visa applications, visa applications are processed by Embassies and Consulates and it is State Department personnel that is doing the processing work.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

USCIS people are people too, so they "care" but no amount of "care" is going to get your petition to the front of the line any faster than all the other people they care about.

Follow the CR1 visa guide and the I-130 instructions. Once you file the I-130, become an expert on the NVC shortcuts.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi all,

SO this is a massive call out for help, and I would like to apologise ahead of time if these questions have already been answered- we are tired of going through pages and pages of forums and official government websites, and reading comparative answers, haha!

BACKGROUND:

My wife (American) and I (British) recently got married in the US- 19th April 2012 to be precise. Since then, we have been looking into our options for me to move over to the US to join my wife.

From what we currently understand, STEP ONE of this ordeal is to file the I-130, which is a form she fills out and includes supporting documents (such as marriage certificate, G-345 for each of us etc.)

But this is where we get lost.....

From what we read on the London embassy website AND from what an advisor from the USCIS told us, once we receive the receipt of I-130 (I-797?) we would then send the I-129F, thus going down the K3 route. However, from what I'm reading on this forum (and others), is that the K3 visa is now redundant/dead, and it's not better to apply for a CR-1 visa (since we have been married for less than two years.)

Additionally, our main worry is being apart for so long- I mean, can they really expect newly-weds to be apart for 6-12 months during this whole process?! As you can imagine, we are both getting very stressed with this.

Anyway, we would certainly appreciate any advice that people have and if indeed they have been in a similar situation and know the easy way through it. Of course, there doesn't seem to be Pros without Cons, but we want the personally approved approach to this process, so we can be together and get on with our lives!

Many thanks to all in advance!

We have gone through the CR1 process and can tell you it will all be worth it in the end. You can visit and so can she during the time you are apart. Bring proof of a reason to return to UK as well as proof of a return ticket. Be honest and answer any questions the POE officer asks when you come for visits. We also met up in Heathrow and spent several days in London when he had his interview. You will also be going to London so you could do that as well.

Use the Guides as others have suggested. They are very helpful. The process is pretty simple but we definitely found it helpful to come on here and chat with others who were going through the same journey.

Plan to spend a lot of time using IM chat, Skype, phone calls and sending cards, letters etc. He had to sell cars, a house and a caravan as well as keep working until the visa came through. I worked and prepared the house here for his arrival.

We wed in Scotland and I went home to the USA a few days later. We submitted affidavits from friends and family, copies of cards, photographs, a copy of him as beneficiary on my life insurance, a copy of marriage certificate, copies of hotel slips and airline tickets from trips together. We also had wedding pictures etc but were never even asked for all of the evidence we gathered.

We are now waiting for the 10 yr GC and removal of conditions but this time we are waiting together. Feel free to contact me or my hubby (Scotinmass)if you have any questions.

We have gone through the CR1 process and can tell you it will all be worth it in the end. You can visit and so can she during the time you are apart. Bring proof of a reason to return to UK as well as proof of a return ticket. Be honest and answer any questions the POE officer asks when you come for visits. We also met up in Heathrow and spent several days in London when he had his interview. You will also be going to London so you could do that as well.

Use the Guides as others have suggested. They are very helpful. The process is pretty simple but we definitely found it helpful to come on here and chat with others who were going through the same journey.

Plan to spend a lot of time using IM chat, Skype, phone calls and sending cards, letters etc. He had to sell cars, a house and a caravan as well as keep working until the visa came through. I worked and prepared the house here for his arrival.

We wed in Scotland and I went home to the USA a few days later. We submitted affidavits from friends and family, copies of cards, photographs, a copy of him as beneficiary on my life insurance, a copy of marriage certificate, copies of hotel slips and airline tickets from trips together. We also had wedding pictures etc but were never even asked for all of the evidence we gathered.

We are now waiting for the 10 yr GC and removal of conditions but this time we are waiting together. Feel free to contact me or my hubby (Scotinmass)if you have any questions.

Hi,

Thanks so much for this response- really good to hear from people who have gone through the same thing.

One of the factors about the I-130 that worries us the most, is the "affidavits" section, providing proof of relationship. Since we have both just gradated from university, we don't have that many joint records, and the banks won't even let us open a joint account without proof of address with both our names on it (kinda like a vicious circle in that respect)- we do however have call records from Skype, Facebook and mobile phone, as well as photos from the start of our relationship way back when. So I'm hoping this will suffice- thoughts?

Thanks again for a great response!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks so much for this response- really good to hear from people who have gone through the same thing.

One of the factors about the I-130 that worries us the most, is the "affidavits" section, providing proof of relationship. Since we have both just gradated from university, we don't have that many joint records, and the banks won't even let us open a joint account without proof of address with both our names on it (kinda like a vicious circle in that respect)- we do however have call records from Skype, Facebook and mobile phone, as well as photos from the start of our relationship way back when. So I'm hoping this will suffice- thoughts?

Read those instructions again carefully. Anything that appears AFTER the words, "in addition to the required...." is NOT REQUIRED.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

Let me calm your nerves you are blessed to be immigrating from a country that is low fraud on Visa waivers and well you don't have to produce a whole lot at petition or interview time. When you read people who are going to be interviewing at Embassies like my husband in Lagos or Islamabad, India the MENA's we have to bring our arsenal of evidence to prove a Bonafide relationship.

You are aso blessed to be able to MAYBE visit your love during all this wait which is a good thing. So please don't feel you need to print every chat, IM, phone record.Listen to Puskbrk for real.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Take a look at the processing times also, so that you can plan when to start this process. Processing times are cyclical, as well as location dependent. Once you start the CR-1, having the beneficiary (I guess that's you) visit the U.S. is a tricky matter. Many people have been turned away at the border and told to go back home, but many others get through without issue. Trying to figure out the exact criteria myself, but seems to be all anecdotal.

The time it takes for your CR-1 to get processed also depends on where the petitioner lives in the U.S. If you're lucky enough to (for the time being it seems) live in a jurisdiction where your I-130 goes to the California svc cntr...your time apart will be much shorter than if you live in a jurisdiction that goes to the Vermont svc centr for example (currently, but that could change next year). Processing time also depends on what embassy your interview will be scheduled at also.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.