UK_Fan

No luck with a bank account

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So I go today to open a bank account... Have my SS card and my EAD with me because I haven't gotten my sate ID or permit yet (that's bother story). The banker lady takes my stuff, goes to her supervisor and comes back 20 mins later, basically telling me that they don't open bank accounts to non-USC and if they do, they would have to charge me 20$ a month for it. I'm like, okay what if when I am a permanent resident, she says, nope, green card only means that u can work here but u are still a Russian citizen. Well I knew that neither she nor her supervisor knew what they were talking about. So I ask her if she could add me to my husbands account, she said no, because it would be the same thing. The funny thing is that 3 months prior when my husband opened a checking account with them and asked if they could add me to it, they were going to, but couldn't because my passport was expired. But now that I have all the proper forms of ID they decide to pull this. And also, had I had my KY drivers license or state ID, she wouldn't even know that I was out of country. But I just thought I'd share this frustration. My husband thought it was bull ####### as well... Onto another bank tomorrow!

event.png

Perhaps try a credit union instead. They have a better reputation for actually caring about their customers (since in essence they are owned by their customers).

http://www.asmarterchoice.org/

http://researchcu.ncua.gov/Views/FindCreditUnions.aspx

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

try bank of america and bring along your passport, that may help.

I used just my passport and my husband and i were able to opena joint account ast bank of america.

i dont have a ss or a work permit as yet.

Edited by faithful27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I disagree with the bank representative, seems she doesn't know her job.

Go to another bank and present your ID and green card as well. That's what I used 6yrs ago.

So I go today to open a bank account... Have my SS card and my EAD with me because I haven't gotten my sate ID or permit yet (that's bother story). The banker lady takes my stuff, goes to her supervisor and comes back 20 mins later, basically telling me that they don't open bank accounts to non-USC and if they do, they would have to charge me 20$ a month for it. I'm like, okay what if when I am a permanent resident, she says, nope, green card only means that u can work here but u are still a Russian citizen. Well I knew that neither she nor her supervisor knew what they were talking about. So I ask her if she could add me to my husbands account, she said no, because it would be the same thing. The funny thing is that 3 months prior when my husband opened a checking account with them and asked if they could add me to it, they were going to, but couldn't because my passport was expired. But now that I have all the proper forms of ID they decide to pull this. And also, had I had my KY drivers license or state ID, she wouldn't even know that I was out of country. But I just thought I'd share this frustration. My husband thought it was bull ####### as well... Onto another bank tomorrow!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I disagree with the bank representative, seems she doesn't know her job.

Go to another bank and present your ID and green card as well. That's what I used 6yrs ago.

Yeah I'm gonna try another bank tomorrow or might as well wait till I get my state ID that way they won't even know that I'm not even a citizen... Had I had a state ID instead of EAD, they wouldn't even question it. It just makes me so mad that they, not knowing much about immigration, give out false statements. Just like when we went to get married the county clerk told us that it's a law that you MUST have SS card to get married, which is bull. I don't have a GC yet, my interview is not unill June 25th, but according to them, "it just means I can work". I've read where people could add their foreign wives that live in a different country to their accounts, but not I'm my case where I have a legit government ID. Ugh

Forgot to add... We don't have a bank of America around here :(

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only way they learn is to tell them you are going to a bank that will open an account for you, and then close your husband's account. Let them know that you''ll be writing to a supervisor of theirs and also spreading their name far and wide as a bank that is extremely difficult and hostile to work with. The story about immigration details is unnecessary. Just short and sweet: bad customer service.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only way they learn is to tell them you are going to a bank that will open an account for you, and then close your husband's account. Let them know that you''ll be writing to a supervisor of theirs and also spreading their name far and wide as a bank that is extremely difficult and hostile to work with. The story about immigration details is unnecessary. Just short and sweet: bad customer service.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As they clearly are unaware of the rules, and probably believe they are actually following the rules, and since the manager was already involved, perhaps, that bank has a national customer service line you can call? get some advice, ask them to intervene at the branch level.

Staying with that bank since your husband already banks with them, might be easier for you both. or even try another branch of the same bank?

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As they clearly are unaware of the rules, and probably believe they are actually following the rules, and since the manager was already involved, perhaps, that bank has a national customer service line you can call? get some advice, ask them to intervene at the branch level.

Staying with that bank since your husband already banks with them, might be easier for you both. or even try another branch of the same bank?

My now wife(fiancee at the time) arrived here in May and 2 days later we added her to my bank account. I bank at chase, the only thing they required was her to be on my lease agreement and her travel passport and visa, Also we opened her a account with Wells Fargo too they only required her to have the visa and passport she did not have to be on the lease agreement. Not sure what bank you are trying but they dont seem to know the rules.

My now wife(fiancee at the time) arrived here in May and 2 days later we added her to my bank account. I bank at chase, the only thing they required was her to be on my lease agreement and her travel passport and visa, Also we opened her a account with Wells Fargo too they only required her to have the visa and passport she did not have to be on the lease agreement. Not sure what bank you are trying but they dont seem to know the rules.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Ew! What a nasty bank. Try another one. I made bank accounts when I was on F-1 student visa. Only thing needed was my passport. I didn't have a social security number or driver's license. They didn't ask me for my visa, I-20, or student ID.

Maybe because it was in So-cal...everything there is sooo loooooseeee lol

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

yeah try wells fargo we opend a joint account there as well the other day and all they wanted to see is an ID or Passport from me..

good luck with it :)

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

well good news! managed to open a joint bank account today with no problem!

Different bank? Or same bank? Congrats!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.