CentaursLady

Shoe on the OTHER foot!!???

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok Ok.. so I know that in so many topics that have been started, its assumed and often factual, that the beneficiary who comes into the US, has a vastly improved and better life. We see so many times that many from other countries come from vastly differnt living standards. They come to this new world, relearning many things and finding their "place" in this new society. Many are grateful and happy to be with the person they Love. There are a few that see it only as a ticket to get into this "fantasy" land to better everything in their lives to the expense of the person that brought them here in Love and hopes and dreams.

But I was thinking last couple days, what about the person that comes here to only benefit the US citizen? We dont often hear the side of how one comes here because the benificary will benefit the US citizen. Do any of you feel sometimes that you came here to end up putting forth MORE than the US citizen? Not that I dont communticate about balance with my partner, but sometimes I get the "feeling used" part and I am the beneficiary!! LOL

It is a hard adjustment no matter where your from, but being blessed to be born and raised in Canada, sometimes we feel being there has better benefits.

So I paid for most of all the paperwork, fees, travel and such on the K-1. With my savings in tow, I come down and I am paying for 95% of the wedding and as well as AOS coming up. I had a great job in Canada,moving up in a company, independant lifestyle, family, my own place, my son nearby, no one to look after but myself.. If I wanted cereal for dinner , then by dammit, thats what I'm eating! LOL. My daughter is 25 on her own with a major degree and career, my son, working in a great trade, making good money.

Now I am here, cooking every day, cleaning, and often paying for groceries and looking after partners 8 year old kid. He has to short sale his home because he made a hasty decision buying when prices were skyrocketing. (I wont bail him out since its not a place I want to live in.)

Before I came we agreed on having his kid every other weekend so that "WE" have a weekend to do things. But I am left with her on "HIS" weekends while he works. I made it clear that I am not raising kids again.. been there , done that.

He always complained how tired he was to do housework, because of how much his job takes out of him. ( to his defence, he works 10-14 hours a day, 6 days a week) I dont begrudge doing cooking, cleaning right now, but once I have my work permit... look out.. career again!

But right now some days just dont please me at all. I feel like im taken advantage of.

Any one else ever feel like the shoe is on the other foot?

June 08 - Met online playing COV/COH

July 09 - Met in person, 3 week vacation

Dec 09 - Stayed with boyfriend for a few months visit

Sept 10 - BF visited me for one week

Feb 11 - BF visited again, Proposed, ENGAGED

March 22/11 - Mailed k-1 packet

March 29/11 - Recieved

June 22/11 RFE (more evidence of meeting)

July 12/11 sent in more goodies

July 30/11 NOA 2 approved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

Oct 21/11 booked interview

Dec 7/11 Medical (no problems)

Dec 8/11 Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!!

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

looks like you've been together for a long time and had plenty of time to discuss your issues. you are from canada, you had plenty of chances to spend more time together, maybe even live together for a couple months, as you did according to your signature, didn't you figure out what kind of fruit cake he is before you left everything behind?

honestly, if everything was as perfect back in Canada as you describe, i would have made the husband move there instead of coming over here.

event.png

Wow. I love the way people judge. Nothing like 20/20 hindsight is there now.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Timeline

If you keep focusing on 'benefits' that he got because of you and 'benefits' you did not get, you will never enjoy your marriage. There is only so much a USC can give up compared to the beneficiary who has to move. If every beneficiary starts to hold it against the USC, there won't be any happy, successful stories anymore.

You could try to not put conditions on everything and base your happiness off of that - Food, kids, independance, career, what I paid for versus what he paid for etc etc. Have you really even enjoyed the fact that you both are together, without the thought of how much you have put into it?? Did you really move here to benefit the USC with nothing in it for you?? If you really feel that then maybe you both need to have a talk on a lot more serious topic than the balance with your partner. You are not a young, teenager but a grown woman, get over yourself and start looking at your marriage as 2 people coming together. With your attitude, you will always feel taken advantage of in any relationship.

So I paid for most of all the paperwork, fees, travel and such on the K-1. With my savings in tow, I come down and I am paying for 95% of the wedding and as well as AOS coming up.

The fact that you, as the beneficiary, are paying for the majority of the various fees and costs should have been a red alert. Was there discussion on that first and now you're feeling sour grapes, or was your fiancé not in a financial position to contribute as much to the process?

If either party -- the petitioner or the beneficiary -- feels as if moving to a new country means giving up more than it's worth*, then a) rethink who should move or b) talk more about what will happen before entering this process.

*And yes, moving to be with your loved one is definitely #1, but there are other pieces that should feel right as well since you still have a life to live outside the home.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

No, I don't ever feel used or taken advantage of by my husband?! We are twins, soulmates, partners and happier together than either one of us could ever be if we were apart. Otherwise what would be the point??

It is obvious, though, that quality of life and standard of living are much higher in my country of origin, which is why I find it quite annoying when people act like being here must be some kind of a dream come true for me, or, better yet, this whole immigration process which every step of the way assumes that I'm trying to commit some kind of fraud to gain immigration "benefits"... Seriously, people..! :blink:

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Timeline

Unfortunatly, partner is not in a financial state to help. (his ex took him back to court when she found out I was coming into the picture) and now has to pay double child support, and all his various financial obligations. At least he has a steady job with lots of overtime. We spend a ton of time together over the years, but lucky enough dont have any issues on communicating with 95% of things. He is a wonderful father to his child and has a wonderful family whom I get along great.

I think alot has to do with waiting for status so I can work. This is first time I have not worked in my life! We have so many plans for a new place and real vacations to take us places, but right now I dont like the "stay at home part" I would volunteer in a heartbeat, but live in the "boonies" and dont have a car yet.

The ONLY reason I am here is to be with him. Just some of the days tick tick by. :whistle:

March 29/11 - Recieved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

If I'm reading your signature dates correctly, you've only been in the US for about a month, right? Enjoy the time off, network, read up on the various job opportunities to get an idea of what's available in your area.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

let's knock it off with the judgmental posts that can put the op on the defensive. thank you.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Any one else ever feel like the shoe is on the other foot?

I too got the "Aren't you SO happy you get to live in the US?"... um no? i don't really think about it. I'm not "living in the US", I'm "living with my husband". I am living away from my family and instead closer to his family who are (the vast majority are) bad people. My personal income is non-existent at the moment but even when I was working it was about half what I was earning back home. Yes the cost of living is lower here but I read a post just the other day were the lady was talking about how much financially better they are now (after many many years) and it got me thinking actually we're WORSE off. I'm sure it'll get better but there you go.

I don't hate living here (anymore :P) but it doesn't mean I LOVE living here, I'm pretty ambivalent about it actually. It doesn't mean I should "go home" (like is so often said in reply to these kinds of posts). In fact I've had people get pretty insulting if I don't say I love it here. They get this curl of distaste on their lip... like I'm this selfish self-absorbed immigrant who doesn't realise how lucky I am. I had a GMIL tell me I didn't know anything about how AMERICAN bread behaved in the fridge (it goes stale like all other bread!) because I "wasn't American". I get my words corrected (sometimes quite nastily) and I once made a FB note listing the different words/things and my SIL called me ignorant for thinking that American's "didn't know" particular words. I never said they didn't, I said it's just not the word they use... man.. some people get quite angry so I'm on tenderhooks until I know what a certain person is like.

The above poster talks about how the opinion of the "other country" is. Tony's never been to Aus (just not financially viable at the moment) so his opinion is Crocodile Dundee and Mad Max.. that's what he thinks Australia and Australian's are like :P There are no taxis in this town, no public transport. It's a bike or a vehicle.

This is a little bit of a sexual stereotype but I've noticed from reading here and other forums that it's typically the women that have the hardest time adjusting. I think it's just because we're more emotional creatures.

My husband has given up stuff by me moving here. His income now goes towards the mortgage and other bills. Before I came (and before we got together) he was building a truck (he still has it in the garage but no movement on it for a while). He doesn't spend as much time with his friends or go out drinking/partying (and one friend in particular likes to point that out). He probably would have stayed in Houston and moved in with another friend down there... instead we moved up to Iowa to be closer to his (then not so bad) family. Those are different things to what I gave up but he still sacrificed as well and I notice and acknowledge that. He feels bad that his family are such a disappointment and that I miss my friends/family but you know, gotta grow up sometime. Luckily for me mum is visiting in August for my birthday (her first international trip) and I am SUPER excited. I actually still get teary thinking about how awesome it will be to have her here and finally seeing for herself what it's like here (and meeting her fur-grandbabies :D).

Sometimes I don't notice that permanent ache of homesickness in the back of my mind/heart and sometimes I do. Sometimes I cry and sometimes I don't. I don't think that feeling will ever truly go away. I think it will fade more and more with time and then on days like Australia Day I'll be sobbing like a child while singing the National Anthem and other Aussie tunes. Sometimes you just need that.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
I really dislike housework as well, and there are things that annoy me. That is normal. There are things about me that annoy him too. For example, I was used to picking up after myself, of course, but it is different picking up after someone else - and my husband basically leaves everything where it drops - milk on the counter; shoes in the middle of the floor; empty envelopes and packages on the middle of the table; dishes by the sofa, books and magazines everywhere. At first I was really annoyed - and then realized that he is set enough in his ways and he isn't going to change. I could make myself unhappy and complain - or I could just do it and get it done. Of course, now he complains he can't find anything - but I have made myself indispensable - I know where it is .

LOL you had me so laugh at this one!! ITS SO TRUE!! I have cleaned up a TON of paperwork he leaves all over the place and put everything listed in an organizer...Then he STILL asks where something is!

Thanks Kathyrn. You pretty much nailed what was in my head. There are subtle differences here, but still noticable to us that are new to itall.

Most Americans know next to nothing, except that Canadians play a lot of hockey, drink beer, and end sentences with "eh?". I was no exception. I moved from a very very small town in Tennessee. (I grew up in an even smaller town!) No public transportation, 45 minute drive to get to the grocery store, you knew everyone, everyone knew you... Then I was slammed, smack dab into a city of a million and a half people.

I went to exact opposite to you! Came from a big city with excellent public trans. I could do anything and go anywhere. Now I am in a small town where it takes over two hours by bus to nearest shopping district where it only takes 10 min by car! jeez!!

You guys made me feel much better (the latter posts, at least, :P )

I am lucky enough to say, we have not had one fight or argument since we have been together. My guy is rather passive as I am and we like peace and quiet in the home. We went out for a great dinner tonight (first one since the drive down here a month ago) and talked about all this stuff. He feels bad for "taking" me away from all that I knew and loved. I assured him that there was only one reason for me to do all that I have done so far, and it was only to be with him. And us women ARE more emotional when it comes to these things, only because we analize things, past, present and future. Learn from the past, make the best of today, and do some planning for a bright future. Its just hard sometimes when your seeing those dirty socks on the nightstand where you put fresh flowers. :o

March 29/11 - Recieved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.