rkk1

sending money to his family (long)

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OP take it. This is a great advice. :thumbs:

Ok, I get the picture. Now this is what I think, and mind you, this is just a third person's view and opinion and nothing you should go by. I'd still like for you to read through it.

I'm the beneficiary here, and my current husband the USC. Like the two of you, we met through and online portal too. I've lived in India all my life, have never been anywhere except to China and Hong Kong, that too as my brother was working there. I for the life of me never imagined that I'd ever be married to someone on the other side of the planet, but here we are. Perhaps because of what came before, but the best thing in our relationship so far has been the fact that we were very open with each other as to our views on various subjects, and we knew exactly what we wanted. We spent a lot of time and energy discussing our views on personal as well as random subjects, which helped us get to know each other better. Despite all this, I'd say we've just touched the tip of the iceberg. There's an amazing chemistry, and there's also a huge plus that we both respect each other immensely. I wouldn't, for the life of me, want to live with a man who doesn't respect me or who cannot earn my respect.

Any relationship will have its set of misunderstandings, compromises, and what not, but the one thing that really would help it is being able to sit down like adults and discuss your differences of opinion. You are two very different individuals with two hugely different cultural backgrounds, and it's imperative that both of you meet on common ground. One can't be the giver and the other the taker all the time. The roles have to be reversed as and when required. I'd say, if there's an issue, sort it, argue about it, do whatever, but let the other person know that you have issues. No amount of shouting or yelling is gonna be of any help, and I personally am against it. Sit down like two calm adults and discuss issues with each other. Despite repeated attempts, if you still don't see eye to eye on any subject, then it may not be worth your while.

While on the one hand I hope and pray that things go well for you, there's a part of me that's been through some serious **** to know that sometimes it's easier to let go than to hold on to something. I'm sending you a linking that may or may not help you, but nevertheless is worth a look-see. Would really appreciate it if you'd read thru and try to make some sense of it.

God bless you, and if you ever wanna shoot the breeze, we're all here not to judge, but to be able to hold each other's hands in times such as this.

Here's the link I was talking about. http://www.marcandangel.com/2011/12/11/30-things-to-stop-doing-to-yourself/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Agree heartily with R. just above. OP, you rather remind me of me when I was much younger. I continually tried to "manufacture" relationships with totally incompatible people who weren't available to me in one or multiple ways, and I wouldn't accept otherwise. Head. Wall. Bang. Things got much better when I quit doing that.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

are you comfortable signing the I-864 affidavit stating that you will support him? do you both understand the terms of that affidavit? that one takes trust, i think, because one is assuming binding financial responsibility which does not end, even if the marriage does.

Heather, San Francisco, CA - USC Petitioner, for Peter, UK Beneficiary

CR-1 Visa Timeline Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage: December 8, 2011

USCIS

01/07/2012: I-130 Sent to Phoenix Lockbox:

Service Center: California Service Center

01/13/2012 I-130 NOA1

05/22/2012: I-130 NOA2: APPROVED! (Approved 130 days from the NOA1 date)

09/05/2012: via phone: "Case complete"

10/17/2012: Interview date assigned.

U.S Embassy London

09/17/2012: Case received.

10/21/2012: Medical.

10/26/2012: Interview: APPROVED "Your visa has been approved. You're good to go.".

11/01/2012: Visa in hand.

11/04/2012: Port of entry: San Francisco

Note: Social Security card came one week after POE

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Agree heartily with R. just above. OP, you rather remind me of me when I was much younger. I continually tried to "manufacture" relationships with totally incompatible people who weren't available to me in one or multiple ways, and I wouldn't accept otherwise. Head. Wall. Bang. Things got much better when I quit doing that.

TBone, been there done that. You aren't the only one.

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

The other thing to remember here is that this behavior is not normal. Bvpshenvalley starts her post with "I am married to a dirt-poor Peruvian. I have dealt with these same exact issues as you describe in this thread." So allow me to say this: I am married to a dirt-poor Peruvian. I have not dealt with these same exact issues as you describe in this thread. My wife's family, despite living in the pueblos jovenes (google it if you need an explanation) has never asked for a cent from me, nor do we send them remittances. Just recently my wife's four-year-old nephew was diagnosed with brain cancer. Although we make little money, probably much less than most people who post here, my wife and I JOINTLY decided to send some money down to pay for his MRI, offset some of the cost of his surgery, and stuff like that. They ain't getting a car out of us, though. This is money to help save the kid's life, and again, it was agreed to jointly by my wife and me.

I hope you understand that I'm not telling you this story to say "isn't my marriage so much better than yours" or "Hey look, everything is perfect with my wife and me." I'm telling it to you to demonstrate that there is another way, that mature people (and I can barely count myself as even that) can work these things out, and that the foundation of a relationship is the idea that things have to be done in a joint fashion in which there is at least some agreement between the two of you about important things like what to do with all your money. Sure, everyone disagrees sometimes, but I sincerely hope you do not get into the mode of thinking where you are telling yourself "every couple has disagreements, so I guess it's normal if my husband wants to move his whole family in with us and drive me even further into nearly a quarter million dollars worth of debt when I want the exact opposite." It's just my opinion, I don't even know you, and others will disagree, but I think adopting that line of thinking would be doing yourself a great disservice. What you are going through is not necessarily normal at all.

It's something your going to have to get used to sending money to the family, your husband will have to realize once he's here is your bills come first! As far as him asking for all this money while he's over there, I sent money but my now wife never asked or told me how much to send. One thing I don't understand is your the Petitioner why are you asking him to help your with the financials of the Visa process? Can you really afford for your husband to go to Law school once he gets here? I would think he needs to find employment as soon as he is legal to work so he can hold up his end of the deal. I don't want to past judgement but I see a lot of trouble a head of you when he gets here. Please air out your differences before he arrives. He's not even here and you guys are having serious arguments. I wish you the best!

Ps. I send money to my wife's mom and dad almost monthly, sometimes I question her a bit about why the large amounts but we never argue and it doesn't tap into our bill or savings money.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

catnit - thanks for posting that. I've walked into those situations when I was in Singapura and honestly it wasn't a culture shock to me. It was a bone-headed shock, but not 'culturally-surprising' to me, at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

But, there really and truly is a culture component to this.

I am hearing this about India, and have not heard anything contrary to it. So thanks for pointing that out to every one who has - I am taking this to be true.

From what you said too I think we agree that regardless, cultural affectations have to stand on their own merits instead of being blindly accepted. Ghastly things like headhunting, cannibalism, infanticide, child rape, mutilation, slavery, spousal beating, etc. are also cultural, many of which continue on today. We can't just say "oh, yea well he's old-school cannibal so lets just show a little cultural sensitivity here..."

It's fine if she's cool with his cultural affectations. But she clearly isn't. So it begs the question: why choose it in a spouse if you loathe it so much?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Rlogan - I completely agree that you can't hide behind bad historical practices but some people can't get up to speed all at once...and I think there are aspects to him that she sincerely and truly loves. I think she even admitted to looking for a partner based on being Indian or of Indian descent...

But, there's a sort of trick to melding two very different cultures - will it sink in that he will loose her if he keeps his comfortable traditions??? Hopefully that will be the proverbial kick in the pants. But, he may play that right back at her too - the whole "well you knew how I was raised and now you want me to change everything or I loose you".

I spent close to a year in India with my husband - it strikes me from the outside as what I would have thought the US would have been like in the 1960s-1970s for women. That's just based on the struggles in the US from a historical perspective not having lived through them myself. Women are shifting from a wife/mother/care giver stance to an independent working woman and trying to balance their world. I don't think that men have an issue with it per say but more of a "holy #######, where does that leave me cause I know how my mom and dad are and this is totally not how they are!!!!"

In no way am I giving the OP's husband a pass on acting the way he is...but...I think there needs to be an outline drawn of when and how the transition into a healthy relationship both parties will enjoy will happen. A clean slate with agreements hashed out perhaps??? And, I don't discount backsliding on his part because this is the life he has lived forever.

I think she'll need to fall into more of the "putting her foot down" side of the fence. If he balks or sets off on some sort of momma-drama bender from it - it may be time to cut bait, as they say. But, I have a feeling this is more of a maturity issue on his part. Even, pre-emptive culture shock on his part...it may be totally workable, maybe not. OP is [obviously] closest to the situation and will need to hash it out on her own.

I completely get how from our outside perspective it looks insane and bizarre. [Complete side story, when living in one of the "nicer" Delhi neighborhoods, the local weekly ad-rag paper had the class schedule for not 1 but 2 "ladies schools" where wives could go to learn foreign cooking, flower arranging, and an 8 week course for new wives on hygiene and basic appearance up keep - I sooooooooo wanted to go but being a WASP from the greater NYC area my husband talked me out of it since the other ladies may get gossipy in Hindi and I wouldn't know all the juicy bits they were saying about me - if only Rosetta Stone had gossipy women talk as a chapter].

Her whole saga made me chuckle since this stuff is really and truly not unique in Desi culture. Her husband is old-school, but not head-hunter old school. Here's hoping he grows and matures in the man she deserves [and the man an awful lot of Indian guys end up being even if they do start out a little rough around the edges].

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
One thing I don't understand is your the Petitioner why are you asking him to help your with the financials of the Visa process?

Why shouldn't she? It's actually SHE who is helping with HIS visa process. She's done her part for the petition, technically the rest is ALL him. I personally paid for almost the entire visa process myself but that's irrelevant to the amount my husband has spent on me since.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Rkk,

you guys are both immature and I hope, young - so that there is room for you to grow up and argue not about things that do not matter. It's like you are looking to make an argument, when there is no need and seems that both of you expect the other person to solve their problems.

Examples from your side:

(1) you argue about number of kids to have, when you are just getting out of school with a huge student loan and knowing that you will not make much money for the next 4 years. You know you can not afford kids for the next 4 years. Why argue? May be you will have one kid 5 years down the road and decide that you don't want more? Why argue now? Why try to adopt any if you can't afford to? What next - threaten divorce because he wants 4 children and you want 5?

(2) you argue about % of income that he can send home or that you will use to pay off student debt. You don't even know if and when he will have a job and how much money he will be able to make. Unless student loans are garnished from your salary, they are not % of your income, but a firm number of $$.

(3) you expect him to help you pay your student loans... it is nice if he does, but it is not his duty. They are your loans. Be responsible for yourself.

(4) Why argue about how long his relatives can visit? If you ever have those children, you will beg them to visit and help with the kids. So try to have a good relationship with them (does not imply sending money), instead of trying to limit their visits upfront. Now they are your family too.

(5) You come off controlling when you try to solve his family's impending money shortages. They are adults and survived for 50+ years before you appeared in their life.

If you love the guy, go with a flow and try to be reasonable. If you think he is using you, get a divorce. Do what YOU want, always :) just be graceful about it.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I wanted to just clarify I am not laughing at the situation or the OP - I know this is hard stuff on the personal level...

I mentioned chuckling in a previous post.

I just found it amusing that there are people [in this case some Indian men] that don't realize how much the match up with the stereotypical BS that others try so hard to fight.

The "I am NOT a momma's boy" argument followed up with pressing their mom's legs. Or, the whole car-dowry thing. Seriously, that's been played out to the nth degree, even making the front pages of the Times of India and Hindustan Times [the 2 big national daily newspapers]. Many of the issues the OP speaks falls in line with the issues most Indian wives [or probably more accurately wives of Indian men regardless of their culture] find themselves dealing with...

An example, if we moved back to my husband's state, I would be living in a joint household. Simple as that. I know that for a fact. Now, if we decided to move back due to a work commitment in another city/area - we would live alone but probably in a place where his mom could live with us as needed [maybe months at a time, who knows]. I know this is part of the deal and have been ok with it from the get go because I knew it could happen. Does that have me hopping up and down with joy? Hells no. Is that a sacrifice I would make for him, yes. Just like him moving here to be with me...

Guess what else, I make him a cup of tea every day at 3:30. Really. Is this some sort of brainwashing? No, it's because at home that's when his mom makes afternoon tea or the tea-dude would walk the halls at work. He appreciates it, gives a true and honest thanks and it's become a part of our day.

Is this how I thought married life would be? Nope. Have I been converted into some sort of weird domestic slave - no.

I guess what I've been trying to say this whole time is the OP appears to be in a pretty typical American to Indian marriage and all the lumps and bumps that can go with it. Her husband tends toward the more traditional end. But, it may get better with some work. That said, it may not too - that's up to them and I hope she has the strength and courage to do what needs to be done for her happiness - which ever way it goes...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.