soch

Lose German Citizenship

139 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband is German and applied for citizenship in the US and will be taking his oath next week. Will he lose his German citizenship after he takes this oath? Can't he just have dual citizenship?

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/19/07 APPROVED on 10/15

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

11/14/07 Interview (I am off to Germany 11/9)

11/30/07 VISA rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

2/11/08 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

3/13/08 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

04/04/08 Biometrics for AOS/EAD

04/15/08 EMAIL APPROVED EAD & AP

4/24/08 Receiveed EAD card in the Mail

6/16/08 Email AOS: Welcome notice mailed

6/23/08 Email AOS: Approval Notice Sent

April 2009 FINALLY received card!

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My husband is German and applied for citizenship in the US and will be taking his oath next week. Will he lose his German citizenship after he takes this oath? Can't he just have dual citizenship?

You might want to check this website: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/dual_nationality/

I hope it helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes he will lose his German citizenship unless he applied for this really long German word that I can't remember. I will find a post for you.

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/331257-dual-citizenship-us-and-german/

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/311734-just-thinking-ahead/page__view__findpost__p__4689891

he will have a dual citizenship

Uh no. You really need to check the rules first. Not all countries permit dual nationality. Germany is one of them. He has to apply for something first.

**Edit - Contact member "Brother Hesekial" (poster in those threads I linked). He will tell you whether it's too late (i.e. whether you need to apply BEFORE applying for another citizenship, or if there's still time to cancel and apply, or if you can apply now while the USC app is processing)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No he wont lose his German Citizenship.Germany allows dual citizenship. A member here called " Brother Hesekiel" went through the same process last year and he was fine. Hes now a German American. Search on here for "Brother Hesekiel". Best of luck.

Citizenship window opens since October 26th 2013...
CITIZENSHIP Track:
Eligibility Criteria: 3 years
10-26-2013: Eligibility Date
12-06-2013:Application Sent
12-09-2013: Application Received and Priority Date
12-11-2013: Check Cashed
12-18-2013: Bio-metric Letter sent Date
01-07-2014: Bio-metric Date
01-07-2014: In-line for Interview
05-07-2014: Interview Letter Received
06-09-2014: Interview Passed
07-18-2014: Oath Ceremony
Naturalized as a US citizen!!!

Visa Journey officially Over on 07/18/2014

Glory be to the Lord the giver of all things

Timeline

No he wont lose his German Citizenship.Germany allows dual citizenship. A member here called " Brother Hesekiel" went through the same process last year and he was fine. Hes now a German American. Search on here for "Brother Hesekiel". Best of luck.

Again NO!!! PLEASE learn the rules before commenting. Unless he applied for the BBG thing via the German government (which gives him permission to retain his German citizenship on acquiring another citizenship) he WILL lose his German citizenship. Germany doesn't permit dual nationality as a rule, you need to apply for permission/an exception.

Brother Hesekial (aka Just Bob) applied for BBG. It doesn't appear this member's husband did. If he did he would know he would be fine. As he didn't he's gunna lose it unless he applies for the BBG thing, and even then I don't know if there's time to do the BBG stuff or whether he lost it as soon as his USC app was approved or whether it's the oath that signs his death sentence.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

OMG! I hope its the oath... cause the letter states "the process is not complete until you take the oath" We now know it is too late fill out the BBG. We are thinking going to the ceremony and stating our issue and not taking the oath... see what they suggest. And/or going to the German embassy/consulate first thing on Monday and getting some direction from them. (now not sure if an appt is needed to visit the embassy) SO sad. thanks for your response. Also, what would you do. NOT showing up to the oath seems so wrong.

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Timeline

OMG! I hope its the oath... cause the letter states "the process is not complete until you take the oath" We now know it is too late fill out the BBG. We are thinking going to the ceremony and stating our issue and not taking the oath... see what they suggest. And/or going to the German embassy/consulate first thing on Monday and getting some direction from them. (now not sure if an appt is needed to visit the embassy) SO sad. thanks for your response. Also, what would you do. NOT showing up to the oath seems so wrong.

I would call about the BBG stuff, see if there's a way to expedite it and whether it's too late.

Then I would call USCIS and reschedule the oath. He's already approved so changing the oath shouldn't be too huge a deal. That would be what I would do.

The reason I would do that over going is in case they decide that you're there so you should do it.

Good luck!

Timeline

thanks so much! 1) find out if we can expidite BBG 2) postpone oath by phone. Geez, least know we have a plan. :-(

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

thanks so much! 1) find out if we can expidite BBG 2) postpone oath by phone. Geez, least know we have a plan. :-(

[/quote

hey soch!

I went through the BBG process 2 years or so ago.

Definitely do NOT take the oath. He has to get the BBG first, otherwise he will lose his German citizenship (as far as I know there is a way to get it back afterwards but it's much more complicated)

the BBG needs to be applied for with the German consulate that is in charge of the area where you live.

here is a link, it's in German (as it's written for German citizens) but im sure he can read it ;)

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/de/05__Dienstleistungen/02__Staatsangehoerigkeit/02__Beibehaltung/__Beibehaltung.html

he should contact the consulate right away Monday morning and figure out a battle plan. the BBG can take over 6 months to get approved, so he needs to figure out if he can move the oath back that far.

looks like you guys have some planning ahead, but its a good thing you caught it now before he took the oath.

There is also a yahoo group called zweipaesse that has a LOT of information and was most helpful when I applied for the BBG myself

Best of luck!

Timeline

WOW! My husband and I cant thank you guys enough for all this great information. Thank you, thank you! Here is another question, since we are the most honest people, we wondered: Is it ok to call USCIS and postpone oath with the real excuse? I simply want to postpone because I am waiting on Germany to approve some document before I can become a USC... postpone say 6 mths? Or, should we not be so honest because they might feel like too bad.... should have had the facts before you applied....? We feel so ignorant right now.

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Timeline

WOW! My husband and I cant thank you guys enough for all this great information. Thank you, thank you! Here is another question, since we are the most honest people, we wondered: Is it ok to call USCIS and postpone oath with the real excuse? I simply want to postpone because I am waiting on Germany to approve some document before I can become a USC... postpone say 6 mths? Or, should we not be so honest because they might feel like too bad.... should have had the facts before you applied....? We feel so ignorant right now.

You shouldn't lie of course, I would say for personal reasons we are unable to attend the oath for X months, are we able to postpone until after that date. I would lean towards not telling them the reason because I don't know how they'll react if you tell them that you don't want USC to get in the way of German... it just doesn't sound good. Maybe someone else will have an opinion... I just hope you can postpone for that long, it's a really long time!

Timeline

thanks Vanessa & Tony! It is a long time. Hoping there is a way to expidite this BBG. :-(

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

" Do I keep my German citizenship when I become an US citizen?

Yes, but only if you successfully apply to have your German citizenship retained BEFORE you become a U.S. citizen. Contact your local German consulate regarding the application process for the permit called Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

“As of 1 January 2000, a German citizen loses his/her citizenship according to § 25, par. 1 of the Citizenship Act (StAG) whenever he/she voluntarily accepts a foreign citizenship after applying for it. It makes no difference if the person lives in Germany or another country.

When attaining foreign citizenship, German citizenship can be retained only if the German citizenship authorities grant permission to keep German citizenship (citizenship retention permission) before foreign citizenship is attained. Should you consider attaining foreign citizenship you are advised to check with your local citizenship office in advance. In the event that you reside in a foreign country, please contact the appropriate German foreign mission.”

Loss of Citizenship:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/e…

Information on Beibehaltungsgenehmigung & link to application form:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/d…

Source(s):

German Missions in the United States"

Now if your home country was Colombia, they will force you to renew your Colombian citizenship, but only if you want to visit your mom. Won't let you in with a US Passport if your place of birth is listed as Colombia. 203 different countries with 203 different laws.

While the application forms were simple enough, can't file those by yourself, have to by there law go through what they call a notary. I looked up the translation for that word, means, "bandit".

But at least so far, she doesn't have to pay taxes to Colombia on her US income. But if we moved to Colombia and she worked, would have to pay income taxes to the USA to maintain her US citizenship.

Antrag auf die Beibehaltungsgenehmigung in English is Application for permit (authorization) of retention of German citizenship. But I feel the correct translation is also paying a bandit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Have him become a member of the yahoo group zweipaesse. He will find plenty of information there for his application of the BBG.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.