soch

Lose German Citizenship

139 posts in this topic

Yes.

When you check in at the airport in your country, you have to show the US passport, otherwise you'll be denied boarding being that you don't have a visa/ESTA in/with your other passport. At the border patrol (if there is one) when leaving your country, you show your country's passport. If they check passports at the gate during boarding, you show the US Passport (again because of the whole visa "problem"). You enter and leave the US with the US passport. And enter your country with your other passport. Sounds complicated but when you think about all the different steps from check in to arrival (and the reason why you have to show a passport), it's actually rather logical :-)

All of this is country dependent. I think you are describing the case when you enter/leave Germany.

In my case, I can enter and leave my "original" country at all stages (i.e., check-in, border control etc.) by showing my US Passport and my ID card from my "original" country. This is very convenient since my "original" country accepts dual citizenship and it is OK to show the US passport together with my "original" country ID card and I am not forced to carry a passport from my "original" country. Every country has its own regulations.

Of course, for entering/leaving the US, the procedure is the same for all of us where we show our US passport.

--

Edited by nwctzn

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

ALL IS GOOD IN THE LAND, AGAIN :thumbs: Passport in hand (both) and tickets bought. Again, can't thank you guys enough for your help and direction. Danke!

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/19/07 APPROVED on 10/15

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

11/14/07 Interview (I am off to Germany 11/9)

11/30/07 VISA rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

2/11/08 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

3/13/08 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

04/04/08 Biometrics for AOS/EAD

04/15/08 EMAIL APPROVED EAD & AP

4/24/08 Receiveed EAD card in the Mail

6/16/08 Email AOS: Welcome notice mailed

6/23/08 Email AOS: Approval Notice Sent

April 2009 FINALLY received card!

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if you were a dual citizen you would use... let's say... your US passport to depart and enter the US and in my case (if I had my dual citizenship and had in my possession 2 passports, which I don't) I would use my Australian passport to enter and leave Australia. Isn't that how it works?

Yes, but you would also show your Aussie passport at the ticket counter when travelling to Aus to show you don't need a visa or anything to visit Aus (happened to me when travelling on my UK passport).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.