soch

Lose German Citizenship

139 posts in this topic

Really a shame that German citizens have to go through this process of BBG while citizens of many other EU countries like the UK and France can easily become dual citizens.

Is there any movement/petition at all so that the German citizenship law gets revised?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Not that I'm aware of, also, it's relatively recent (I think 2000?).

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

Really a shame that German citizens have to go through this process of BBG while citizens of many other EU countries like the UK and France can easily become dual citizens.

Is there any movement/petition at all so that the German citizenship law gets revised?

No, this BBG process IS the revised version of German citizenship law. Prior to 2000 only military, diplomats and certain VIPs where allowed to keep their German citizenship when acquiring another country's citizenship.

Now anybody can explain their situation and the hardships they are facing and get permission for dual citizenship.

It's not that hard, you just have to sit down and do it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Karin is correct.

The BBG process is on the books since January 1, 1914, but personal reasons can only be considered since January 1, 2000.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

... and pay the fee, whereas citizens from the UK, France, Italy etc can just relax and get their dual citizenship automatically.

well - in my opinion 255 € to keep my German citizenship is cheap, comparing it to the 680 $ filing fee for US citizenship.

Something that doesn't have a prize doesn't have a value either - at least in my books :whistle:

Also, I don't want to have British, French, or Italian citizenship, so that's really a mute point.

well - in my opinion 255 € to keep my German citizenship is cheap, comparing it to the 680 $ filing fee for US citizenship.

Well, it is like you need to pay again to keep your first car when you purchase your second car :)

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

I had no idea it was that old of a concept ;) Probably most people I know who are dual citizens are so from birth, so they never had to go through it. I'm just happy it's not like e.g. Ukranian law that does not allow for dual citizenship period - I'm all done, paid it all, did all the papers and now I can chillax :) It's not like it took all that long.

I had no idea it was that old of a concept ;) Probably most people I know who are dual citizens are so from birth, so they never had to go through it. I'm just happy it's not like e.g. Ukranian law that does not allow for dual citizenship period - I'm all done, paid it all, did all the papers and now I can chillax :) It's not like it took all that long.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Yep, same with India, they do not allow dual citizenship, period! It is either this or that.

With EU member countries though it is really interesting because some of them allow dual citizenship automatically, some (like Germany) want to take your money and want you to jump through hoops so that you can keep your citizenship, and some say you cannot be a dual citizenship at all.

Which is why I personally, albeit holding 3 citizenships now, think the U.S. shouldn't allow this. The one question anybody who wants to become a U.S. citizen should ask themselves is this: would I still want to become a U.S. citizen if I would lose my original citizenship when doing this?

Anybody who would not naturalize under such circumstances may not be ready to take the Oath of Allegiance without lying to themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Which is why I personally, albeit holding 3 citizenships now, think the U.S. shouldn't allow this. The one question anybody who wants to become a U.S. citizen should ask themselves is this: would I still want to become a U.S. citizen if I would lose my original citizenship when doing this?

Anybody who would not naturalize under such circumstances may not be ready to take the Oath of Allegiance without lying to themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

100% agreed with this comment. I am a dual citizen because the US and my 'original' country allow it, otherwise, I would be a US citizen only right now. I would also completely understand if the US passes a law in the future not allowing multi-citizenship.

No law needed. All it takes is one, a single one President of the United States who at some point says . . . "listen guys, I know you already pledged your allegiance to the United States. You swore off any and all loyalty to your former country or countries of citizenship, now I feel it's time you show that you took this oath in good faith. The U.S. government requires all naturalized U.S. citizens to prove within 1 year's time that they have lost or renounced their former citizenship or citizenships. Those who cannot comply with this requirement, will face de-naturalization. Thank you."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

No law needed. All it takes is one, a single one President of the United States who at some point says . . . "listen guys, I know you already pledged your allegiance to the United States. You swore off any and all loyalty to your former country or countries of citizenship, now I feel it's time you show that you took this oath in good faith. The U.S. government requires all naturalized U.S. citizens to prove within 1 year's time that they have lost or renounced their former citizenship or citizenships. Those who cannot comply with this requirement, will face de-naturalization. Thank you."

What a bunch of BS, has there been any studies showing that the "good American" is the naturalized that considers himself American only? Please, give us a break, this country is a pure product of immigration...what are you afraid of?

Timeline

What a bunch of BS, has there been any studies showing that the "good American" is the naturalized that considers himself American only? Please, give us a break, this country is a pure product of immigration...what are you afraid of?

You're not getting his point - with the current laws, while you pledge your allegiance and swear off any loyalty to other countries during your naturalization oath ceremony, the U. S. does nothing to actually make sure you DO swear off any other country, meaning, they simply expect you to place the U. S. first and don't care about your other citizenship(s). Which is why so many people hold several citizenships in the first place because if the U. S. didn't accept US citizens holding other citizenships, many people (myself included) wouldn't go through the whole naturalization process in the first place.

Nice choice of language, by the way...

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

No need for foul language here in this forum. We are not discussing here 'good' vs. 'bad' naturalized Americans. The discussion is about the complications that multi-citizenship brings. It's not only about US + other country citizenships, this is about multi-citizenship in general.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.