PrincessJo

Dual Citizenship - US and German

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

I am thinking about applying for the US citizenship but don't want to give up my German citizenship. It seems like you have to make a case to the German consulate about needing both citizenships. Now I am wondering if anyone has applied successfully for dual citizenship (German/US). If so what kind of reasons did you give the German consulate?

Thanks appreciate any help or advice.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am thinking about applying for the US citizenship but don't want to give up my German citizenship. It seems like you have to make a case to the German consulate about needing both citizenships. Now I am wondering if anyone has applied successfully for dual citizenship (German/US). If so what kind of reasons did you give the German consulate?

I personally have not applied for the Beibehaltungsgenehmigung but it seems like it is not too hard to do. There are two cases in which you may be able to keep your German citizenship

a) Fortbestehende Bindungen zu Deutschland

Bitte geben Sie in einer Tabelle Art und Weise an, wie Sie den Kontakt mit Ihren deutschen Verwandten, Freunden, Bekannten und gegebenenfalls Geschäftspartnern aufrechterhalten (Kommunikationsmittel) und wie häufig der Kontakt zu den von Ihnen angegebenen Personen in Deutschland ist.

Falls Sie keine Personen in Deutschland angeben können, mit denen Sie in Kontakt stehen, können Sie Ihre fortbestehenden Bindungen an Deutschland auch durch Nachweise über ein Bankkonto, Versicherungen, Rentenanwartschaften oder Immobilien in Deutschland belegen. Legen Sie Ihrem Antrag einfach Bankunterlagen, Auszüge aus dem Grundbuch, Grundsteuerbescheide oder Rentenversicherungsunterlagen bei.

Bei Rentnern oder Personen, die langjährig in den USA leben, gilt außerdem folgende Besonderheit:

Sollten Sie im Rentenalter sein und sich nachweislich seit mehr als 10 Jahren in den USA aufhalten oder, unabhängig vom Alter, sich seit mehr als 20 Jahren in den USA aufhalten, vermutet das Bundesverwaltungsamt ein verstärktes Integrationsinteresse. In diesem Fall ist das Hauptaugenmerk auf die Darstellung der engen Bindungen an Deutschland zu legen. Sie brauchen dann nicht nachzuweisen, welche konkreten Nachteile Ihnen dadurch entstehen, dass Sie nicht im Besitz der US-Staatsangehörigkeit sind. Es reicht dann eine kurze Darstellung der Gründe, die Sie zum Erwerb der US-Staatsangehörigkeit bewegen.

b) Häufigste Gründe für den Erwerb der US-Staatsangehörigkeit

Die in den USA am häufigsten geltend gemachten Gründe für den Erwerb der US-amerikanischen Staatsangehörigkeit sind:

- Berufliche Nachteile

- Aufenthaltsrechtliche Nachteile

- Nachteile bei der Vergabe von Stipendien

- Sonstige Nachteile

source Germany.info

I will most likely roll it all off to being in contact with my family and having to make sure my family (mostly parents) are well taken care of and that I am still involved by keeping several bank accounts and wanting to keep traveling to Germany visa-free.

So far, I have not heard of anyone not getting their dual-citizenship approved. Good luck :thumbs:

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Your fellow German JustBob will tell you the how-to when he sees your post ... soon.

Filed: Other Timeline

I just finished my 42nd BBG application about three hours ago, on a friggin' Sunday, and the wife didn't like it a bit. I'm too getting tired of this stuff. I want my life back!

Go to the Yahoo group ZweiPaesse and take it from there.

Just Bob

Part of the Amish Conspiracy

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.