soch

Lose German Citizenship

139 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Dual citizenship is cool in US/Germany, China no.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks all. After all our research sometimes seems like its just easier to forget about the USC since getting a BBG seems difficult. :(. If we decide this then who do we contact? Or just not show up for oath? So stressed.

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/19/07 APPROVED on 10/15

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

11/14/07 Interview (I am off to Germany 11/9)

11/30/07 VISA rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

2/11/08 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

3/13/08 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

04/04/08 Biometrics for AOS/EAD

04/15/08 EMAIL APPROVED EAD & AP

4/24/08 Receiveed EAD card in the Mail

6/16/08 Email AOS: Welcome notice mailed

6/23/08 Email AOS: Approval Notice Sent

April 2009 FINALLY received card!

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

:thumbs:

" Do I keep my German citizenship when I become an US citizen?

Yes, but only if you successfully apply to have your German citizenship retained BEFORE you become a U.S. citizen. Contact your local German consulate regarding the application process for the permit called Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

“As of 1 January 2000, a German citizen loses his/her citizenship according to § 25, par. 1 of the Citizenship Act (StAG) whenever he/she voluntarily accepts a foreign citizenship after applying for it. It makes no difference if the person lives in Germany or another country.

When attaining foreign citizenship, German citizenship can be retained only if the German citizenship authorities grant permission to keep German citizenship (citizenship retention permission) before foreign citizenship is attained. Should you consider attaining foreign citizenship you are advised to check with your local citizenship office in advance. In the event that you reside in a foreign country, please contact the appropriate German foreign mission.”

Loss of Citizenship:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/e…

Information on Beibehaltungsgenehmigung & link to application form:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/d…

Source(s):

German Missions in the United States"

Now if your home country was Colombia, they will force you to renew your Colombian citizenship, but only if you want to visit your mom. Won't let you in with a US Passport if your place of birth is listed as Colombia. 203 different countries with 203 different laws.

While the application forms were simple enough, can't file those by yourself, have to by there law go through what they call a notary. I looked up the translation for that word, means, "bandit".

But at least so far, she doesn't have to pay taxes to Colombia on her US income. But if we moved to Colombia and she worked, would have to pay income taxes to the USA to maintain her US citizenship.

Antrag auf die Beibehaltungsgenehmigung in English is Application for permit (authorization) of retention of German citizenship. But I feel the correct translation is also paying a bandit.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

go to the yahoo group zweipaesse. tell your husband to start reading all the approved BBG's in the archive. the people there will also help him if he really doesnt know what to do. i got my BBG last year and it took 8 weeks. i dont know what to tell you about the oath. your best bet would be to wait till Brother Hesekiel answers you. he knows about all that stuff and i am sure he will give you the best advice.

good luck

Timeline

Thanks all. After all our research sometimes seems like its just easier to forget about the USC since getting a BBG seems difficult. :(. If we decide this then who do we contact? Or just not show up for oath? So stressed.

The BBG is really NOT that big of a deal. A day, maybe two, of sitting down and READING anything he can get his hands on (as mentioned before, zweipaesse...) getting everything written down and sending it off. Once approved, he pays 255 Euros and that's it. It really, really isn't a big deal.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

it is pretty nice when you can keep both.i loose mine as soon as i become US citizen.

11/12/11.....N400 send to Nebraska service center

11/14/11.....N400 delivered to NE

11/21/11.....Check cashed

11/23/11......NOA recived in the mail(priority date nov 14)(notice date nov 21)..(you will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by the local USCIS office.you should expect to be notified withing 90 days of this notice)

12/13/11......got text and email about biometric letter being send out

12/17/11.......got biometric letter in the mail(appointment date dec 28th)

12/19/11.....did early walk in FP

12/22/11.......got email and text about being placed in line for interview scheduling

01/30/12.......got email from my IO were i was asked to pick my own interview date and send email back with the date i picked

02/06/12......got INETRVIEW email with appointment letter(have to print that out and bring with me on the interview day)

02/28/12.......INTERVIEW with oath on the same day(as long i pass the test afcorse.)

I AM US CITIZEN

Timeline

Thanks brother and all! Husband is working on his bbg now. As for oath postponement... We were/are gonna call uscis and inquire. However, after research and thus stated in the appt letter (N 445) we need to send them back the letter with a written excuse as to why he can not attend the oath. Our worry is that his oath is THIS thursday so we hope we r not TOO late to post postpone... you think? Also, will a letter asking for postponement of about 3 or 4 months due to family illness be a good enough excuse or will they need details? Just wondering how long they can postpone for and are they so willing to comply.

it is pretty nice when you can keep both.i loose mine as soon as i become US citizen.

Sorry to hear that. That is our stress :(

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Timeline

The Yahoo group Zweipaesse and the Consulate's website will help. You have to apply and get the BBG before you can apply for any other citizenship. You have to have good reasons to get the BBG, not everybody just gets it. The process takes 2-12 months, and if approved it costs 255 Euros plus Fedex fees. You have to prove to the German government that you need both citizenships in order to get a BBG. Good luck with everything - I applied in June and got it in August and applied in October for N-400 and will have my citizenship interview later this month.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Thanks brother and all! Husband is working on his bbg now. As for oath postponement... We were/are gonna call uscis and inquire. However, after research and thus stated in the appt letter (N 445) we need to send them back the letter with a written excuse as to why he can not attend the oath. Our worry is that his oath is THIS thursday so we hope we r not TOO late to post postpone... you think? Also, will a letter asking for postponement of about 3 or 4 months due to family illness be a good enough excuse or will they need details? Just wondering how long they can postpone for and are they so willing to comply.

Well, I thought the rule emphasized on this forum over and over is "Never lie, especially, never lie to USCIS"

I totally understand the coolness of keeping the German passport and being able to live, work, and retire anywhere in the EU, but on the other hand, I would never misrepresent any information to USCIS. So either tell the USCIS the truth or take the oath on your scheduled date.

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

Sorry to hear that. That is our stress :(

Why on Earth would you LIE?! Tell them the truth... your husband didn't bother to do enough research BEFORE he applied for the naturalization and hnow he needs to apply for another document in order to be able to retain his German citizenship.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Have to admit my wife didn't know she had to maintain her Colombian passport to visit her mom, I sure didn't know that. Found out the hard way going down there when they wouldn't admit her. But we spent an hour with their POE, she convinced them the only way she could get it was to enter her country to get it done. They did admit her, but flagged her, when we left, they wanted to see all of her application papers, she had that.

Ironically, when she was here, they gave her a hard time at their consulate in Chicago, in renewing her passport, why do you want a passport for your home country when you are living here? But that passport was expired last time we went down, and since she now has a US passport and didn't need that old passport for any kind of travel, they were nice and insisted she have it. But sure charged enough.

Point is knowing the laws of your home country before hand what you have to do. In getting involved with immigration myself, have yet to meet a natural born US citizen that has even heard of the USCIS.

In our case, took that USCIS oath very seriously, but then shifted to the DOS and got an entirely different story. Can see where dealing with the USCIS can at least be a very awkward situation, assume maintaining your German citizenship is done very quietly. In our case, tried to raise all holy hell with our DOS, but got nowhere, she has to maintain her Colombian citizenship, even though she didn't want to, just wanted to visit her mom. But try to explain that to the USCIS, that we didn't have to do, was done with them.

Maybe Bob has some suggestions. Weird, you don't want to maintain citizenship in your home country and the USA forces you to do so, then you want to maintain citizenship in your home country and they go against you.

Timeline

Thanks all for your help!

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.