deidre

Just thinking ahead....

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

When taking the Oath of Allegiance and swearing off any and all loyalty to one's former country of citizenship, there's no room for vagueness. This issue is way too complex to discuss it here, but once you become a US citizen, you are a US citizen in the US's eyes and nothing else.

Although -- up to this point in time -- the US does not require those who apply for naturalization to formally denounce their former country's citizenship, it doesn't mean it won't become law in the future. In fact, I'll tell you what it would take: not a new law, nope, only one single signature on one executive order. That's right people: only one of many presidents of the future has to say: "Okay, guys, you took the Oath already, so now please live up to your Oath and provide proof that you do not hold another country's citizenship. You have 1 year to do that."

Whether or not it is likely, very likely, or unlikely, is totally irrelevant. It surely is possible. Thus, a naturalized US citizen should walk lightly and not use terms such as "dual citizenship" when outside his inner circle. Believe it or not, there are Americans who don't think a US citizen who took the Oath should have any ties to his former country of citizenship. You can have two or more favorites while American Idol is running, but at the end you can only vote for one.

There is no way to apply for dual citizenship, because two countries' citizenships require to deal with two different countries' laws and governments. Since there are 251 countries in the world, the combinations and complications involved are numerous.

Again, for the third time, there is no way to apply for dual citizenship, and while we could use the term "dual citizenship" when holding the citizenships of two countries, it's better not to do that.

P.S.

Kar 98:

The BBG application is one where the applicant asks the German government not to lose their German citizenship when naturalizing in another country. That, too, is not an application for dual citizenship.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I'm planning on becoming a US citizen too but I won't give up my British citizenship... I don't believe in closing off options in life.

The reason for my decision to 'naturlize' is simple... I want to VOTE!!! I'm a very political beast (and a big fan of Mr O.)and my vote is my voice.

cheers

:-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
a naturalized US citizen should walk lightly and not use terms such as "dual citizenship" when outside his inner circle. Believe it or not, there are Americans who don't think a US citizen who took the Oath should have any ties to his former country of citizenship.

If some people are upset that some of us have dual citizenship, well, you can't please everyone. We have to make the decisions that we think are best, and the responsible thing is to make those decisions carefully. The OP and I are doing that. After I become a US citizen, I will tell people when the subject comes up that I'm a dual citizen. Citizenship rarely comes up except in official contexts, though.

Personally, I don't have any problem with people who have a dual Canadian / other citizenship as long as they take their Canadian citizenship seriously, live within the law, and contribute to the community. I don't know anyone who has a problem with that. I and people I know don't appreciate those who obtain Canadian citizenship for convenience only (whether or not they keep their previous citizenship), and I wouldn't get US citizenship for convenience only either. I believe in giving back wherever I live.

There is no way to apply for dual citizenship

I think we've established that. :)

my vote is my voice.

A voice and a responsibility. Being a US citizen means I'll have to pay more attention to politics. :P

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
:ot: so once this ROC is completed, I intend to be naturalized and get my dual citizenship (australia/america).

anyone else thinking this far ahead? :P

Yep. I want USC so that all this immigration stuff isn't for naught when Tony finally comes to visit Australia and hopefully obtains his Australian passport.

I understand what Bob's trying to say re "dual citizenship" (even though it's called dual nationality now) but I think using that terminology makes it more obvious that you're not planning to give up your home passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
hey Vanee, my reasons are the same. i love the US, this is my country now - my home, friends, hubby's family, life, job ...etc is here now. so i do consider the US being home, and feel being a US citizen is the best way to go for me (i agree to making the commitment more official!) and also because my home country Australia lets me keep my citizenship, so i get the best of both countries. Easier on USCIS here too! And also because myself and hubby travels lots, i can use either passport depending on the country - so no visa needed!.... AND...when we finally have kids, my kids will be allowed to obtain the dual citizenship too, therefore allowing them the opportunity to live in either country - something i would have loved to have when i was growing up. :star:

You don't need a US passport for your kids to be dual because they'll get Aussie thanks to you, and US thanks to your husband BUT you should be aware that there are residency requirements in order to pass on citizenships.

For example. I am already dual UK/Aus. I got my UK thanks to my dad who's a UKC but I cannot pass on my UK citizenship unless I've lived there for a certain number of years prior to the children's birth (which I haven't and doubt I will). For Australian I can't see a residency requirement but I know there's one for passing on USC (if your children are born outside the US). There's also decent restrictions for Australian meaning your children will get it by decent but they need to have lived in Aus for a certain number of years to pass it on to their kids. It's all very interesting.

I don't have any strong attachment to the US yet. I'm definitely closer than I was when I first arrived but I'm not getting citizenship to vote. I hate voting and people will judge me for that but I'm just not politically minded enough. Maybe I will want to with age but not yet. I basically just want the same rights as everyone else and not to be treated like an "alien" where I have certain restrictions placed on me. Unfortunately I still have a ways to go to accept the many faults of Americans and the constant "American is the land of milk and honey and I'm SO lucky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm planning on becoming a US citizen too but I won't give up my British citizenship... I don't believe in closing off options in life.

The reason for my decision to 'naturlize' is simple... I want to VOTE!!! I'm a very political beast (and a big fan of Mr O.)and my vote is my voice.

cheers

:-)

Same, except for in my case, German citizenship, not really a big fan of Mr O., but I wanna be able to vote, and I wanna be done forever with immigration stuff, and I want jobs that would select for US citizenship. But yeah, the keeping options open part is important.

I cant wait to be a US citizen too. I'll be eligible to apply for a lot of jobs that require citizenship/ What if we have a baby in India after I become a US citizen? Does the child automatically get US citizenship because of his/her parents are American citizens. When do I become eligible for it. First got my conditional gc on Feb 03 2009. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody can "get dual citizenship."

A citizen of another country can become a US citizen if he or she takes the Oath of Allegiance, swearing off any and all loyalty to their former country of citizenship." That's different form "getting dual citizenship" by a mile. Or two.

Sure i can, Philippine law allows it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

I decided to get US citizenship because with my Tanzanian passport, I have to apply for a visa going everywhere and its a pain. And since Tanzania doesnt allow dual nationality once you turn 18 yrs old, I had to give up my Tanzanian citizenship to gain USC. But, it was all worth it!

It felt really weird when I went to Tanzania and had to get a visa to enter my own country and pay $100 for the visa as well. Not happy!

So travelling, federal jobs, voting and social security benefits for my children where deciding factors for me!

Jan 1999- F1 to USA

June 2006- AOS thru D.O.R.A.

Dec 2009- Oath. Finally a U.S Citizen

I am proud to be Tanzamerican!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You must have a different definition of dual citizenship than I do. If you hold citizenship in two countries simultaneously, you have dual citizenship. I can't imagine what your definition is.

I don't think anyone is intending to imply that you can literally apply for dual citizenship, just that you can apply for citizenship in the US and potentially hold on to citizenship in a different country.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I think Just Bob is going in too deep. Who cares if one country doesn't recognize the citizenship of another. The law of each land is soveriegn and absolute. In our Accounting practice there is a term used, "The KISS method". ((K)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid. I intend to be a dual citizen too. Don't care what anybody says, because I will have TWO passports to show what I mean.

IR5 For Parent

In some cases, there may be tax implications of keeping or not keeping your original citizenship. But for Canadians, "once a Canadian, always a Canadian." I really have no idea what my husband plans to do or what the benefit of becoming a US citizen actually is apart from voting and the ability to hold office. I don't think he cares that much about voting and he probably doesn't aspire to hold office.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Timeline

The benefits for Canadian citizens to acquire US citizenship, as I understand them, are as follows:

• The ability to vote.
  • The ability to hold local office (national office might require renouncing Canadian citizenship).
  • The ability to serve on a jury (ok, probably not a "benefit", as such :) ).
  • The ability to take jobs that require US citizenship (assuming they don't also need a security clearance, which can be very difficult to get when you also hold a non-US citizenship).
  • It relieves your USC spouse and (if applicable) cosponsor of the obligations of the affidavits of support they signed for you.
  • Estate taxes: When a USC married to a non-USC dies, the non-USC is required to pay all estate taxes immediately. A USC surviving spouse can defer the estate taxes until after their death. It apparently makes a big difference.
  • And, of course, the big one: it means that neither you nor your cosponsors ever have to deal with USCIS ever again (no more change of address forms or GC renewals! Yay!)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Another advantage for Canadian- American dual citizens - the freedom to choose which country you wish to live in for however long you wish to do so without having to worry about going through the whole immigration process again. With the border between the two countries so accessible and each being the other's most important neighbour, it opens many doors to choose the best life for your individual circumstances. You can spend 6 months living in the South during a Canadian winter then drive north and spend 6 months living in Canada during a Southern summer. Cottage country AND no more shoveling snow :lol: .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Australia
Timeline

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I think Just Bob is going in too deep. Who cares if one country doesn't recognize the citizenship of another. The law of each land is soveriegn and absolute. In our Accounting practice there is a term used, "The KISS method". ((K)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid. I intend to be a dual citizen too. Don't care what anybody says, because I will have TWO passports to show what I mean.

totally and utterly agree with you here :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

[*]And, of course, the big one: it means that neither you nor your cosponsors ever have to deal with USCIS ever again (no more change of address forms or GC renewals! Yay!)

hell to the yeah :lol:

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

05/17/11... I-751 packet mailed to VSC... 05/18/11... I-751 packet received... 05/24/11... Check cashed... 05/26/11... NOA1 received (receipt date 05/19/11)... 06/25/11... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 07/20)... 06/28/11... Early Walk-In for Biometrics (Durham NC)... 12/30/11... I-751 Petition Approved (called USCIS on 01/04 and was advised of approval)... 01/05/12... Card Production Ordered... 01/05/12... Approval Letter received... 01/XX/12... GC received in the mail... 04/08/14... 

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

05/09/14... Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule...10/08/14... N-400 packet sent via UPS to Texas (finally!)...10/10/14... N-400 packet received...10/16/14... Check cashed...10/20/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)...10/31/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 11/12/14)...11/12/14... Biometrics completed (Tampa FL)...11/13/14... Received yellow letter today (Dated 11/07/14)...11/14/14... In line for interview (e-notifications received at 12.36pm)...12/24/14... Interview scheduled (e-notifications received)...01/02/15... Interview letter received (Interview set for 02/03/15)...02/03/15... Interview completed Successfully!...02/11/15... In line for Oath! (e-notifications received at 7.00pm)...02/12/15... Oath scheduled & letter sent (e-notifications received at 1.30pm)...02/17/15... Oath letter received (Oath set for 02/23/15)...02/23/15... Oath Ceremony at 1pm in the Tampa Field Office... I'm officially a US Citizen!!

I-130 FOR MY PARENTS TIMELINE

11/14/16... I-130 packet for my parents sent via UPS to Phoenix

11/15/16... I-130 packet received (Priority Date)

11/18/16... Checks cashed, received emails and text messages at 5:22pm, cases routed to Texas Service Center

02/22/17... NOA2 for Mom received (Notice Date 02/15/17)

02/28/17... NOA2 for Dad received (Notice Date 02/17/17)

03/01/17... Status online shows application sent to NVC 

03/17/17... Received emails from NVC for next steps!

03/21/17... Went online to Choose an Agent

03/28/17... Received emails from NVC confirming Agent selection and to proceed with the next step (paying fees!)

04/05/17... Paid the $120 Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee online today (Also eligible to pay the $325 Fee but will wait before doing so...)

April-August... Took a break from the process in order to move back from USVI to mainland USA.

08/07/17... Paid the IV Fees for both my parents ($325 each) today

08/23/17... Called NVC because payment still showing "In Process", was advised to email proof of payment to have them manually correct it

08/24/17... CEAC website shows "Paid" and can now have parents' DS-260 forms filled in.

The tax implications of trying to live in both the US and Canada aren't trivial. I really hated when we had to do both sets of taxes.

But thanks for the info on estate taxes. I'd forgotten that from the book we got on financial planning for Canadians who move to the US.

Is everyone leaving their RRSP up North?

Kathyrn, love that middle cat. How's his personality? I had a slightly lighter grey one like that and he was my soul-mate cat.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.