Emi&Emi

Same sex couple K1 or lesbian wedding?

57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; You can get married in the US -same sex- like New York, but fact is, unfortunately, you CANNOT get your AOS approved based on same sex marriage :bonk:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

i must say that im surprised... and i dont mean that in a bad way

Australia also permits immigration of defacto couples. Their immigration policies are a lot more open than the US (not necessarily a good thing)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What is the K1 situation for same sex couples?

We have a lesbian friend who recently got engaged to her girlfriend from Japan. What are their options. If she leaves the country at the moment it seems they can't file for K1. Could they get married in the states (one which allows gay marriage) and file for AOS?

One extra curve ball... her student visa is already expired.

Thanks

Tell her to wait a few years. There are dozens of cases being litigated already, including a few class action suits. If there weren't already a lot of cases challenging DOMA and immigration laws then I'd say sure - go ahead and have her partner come to the US, get married, and then lawyer up and go to court. It would be expensive, both financially and emotionally, and I don't think one more court case is going to change the law any faster.

DOMA will eventually be repealed, and the immigration laws will be revised. I predict this will probably happen within the next four years.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The usa isnt very progressive they would probably have better luck in another country for sure. Sadly the USA discriminates against same sex couple, and they are hardly approving straight couples that are married

Does Japan allow it? They would be foolish to leave japan as it is. Who on earth would do that to come to the usa ? LOL She should be thankful she can live in japan

Edited by Adam and Thet

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: Timeline

The usa isnt very progressive they would probably have better luck in another country for sure. Sadly the USA discriminates against same sex couple, and they are hardly approving straight couples that are married

Does Japan allow it? They would be foolish to leave japan as it is. Who on earth would do that to come to the usa ? LOL She should be thankful she can live in japan

So then if you're not happy living in the best country in the world then leave. There's nothing worse than people living here and not appreciating its greatness. Thank God my fiancé knows this is the best country in the world and appreciates it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No, there's no such thing in the US right now. Sorry.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i dont think there is a country in the world that allows immigration based on same sex relationships right now

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/unmarried.htm You don't have to be married in the UK.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

....... and they are hardly approving straight couples that are married

factual basis of this statement is what?

YMMV

What is the K1 situation for same sex couples?

We have a lesbian friend who recently got engaged to her girlfriend from Japan. What are their options. If she leaves the country at the moment it seems they can't file for K1. Could they get married in the states (one which allows gay marriage) and file for AOS?

One extra curve ball... her student visa is already expired.

Thanks

Read:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/immigration/2011/03/breaking-news-uscis-will-not-deny-same-sex-marriage-petitions-for-now.html

As anything in the internet, before you proceed, I'd check this with an immigration attorney (preferably one that is knowledgeable on LGBT issues). I have read other articles where it would appear that USCIS is holding on in deportation cases related to same sex marriages/unions

Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Read:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/immigration/2011/03/breaking-news-uscis-will-not-deny-same-sex-marriage-petitions-for-now.html

As anything in the internet, before you proceed, I'd check this with an immigration attorney (preferably one that is knowledgeable on LGBT issues). I have read other articles where it would appear that USCIS is holding on in deportation cases related to same sex marriages/unions

Good luck

holding on deportation and providing an avenue to adjustment of status to resident are two very different things

YMMV

holding on deportation and providing an avenue to adjustment of status to resident are two very different things

The path for the OP's friend is laid out in this thread, if she can read between the lines. That is probably as far as we can go without violating the TOS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Oldie but goodie

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The path for the OP's friend is laid out in this thread, if she can read between the lines. That is probably as far as we can go without violating the TOS.

Why does she need to read between the lines??? I've laid out what she need to do if she want's her Japanese fiancee to stay in the US; get marry in a state that allows same sex marriages, file to adjust status, and sue when the adjustment is denied based on DOMA.

How is anyone violating the TOS??? No one is advocating fraud. The petitioner and beneficiary will be truthful during the process. It's not illegal to pursue the route I have outlined. While the adjustment may be denied, the petitioner and beneficiary would still be working within the system by exercising their rights to sue and challenge a law that discriminates against them.

The US isn't the "best country in the world". It's a GOOD country, but certainly not the best. It most definitely has it's faults, as do many countries and many countries do things better than the US. Again, doesn't mean the US sucks, or that I should leave for thinking so, but it's pretty crazy to say the US is the best country in the world unless you've actually BEEN to every country in the world.

It's probably the best for what the person seeks in life. There is no perfect car, perfect computer, or perfect dog. Well actually, all dogs are perfect, but I digress. You seek what you want then you find a country that offers it. What do you want? Snow? Guns? Free stuff? Dinosaurs? When you list what you want and step back, then you can look for "your" perfect country.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.