alibaba16

Do people really ever get rejected?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Israel
Timeline

Just started using this forum and it's been really helpful! But I haven't read anything about someone applying for a spouse ever getting rejected. Sure there might be some delays and it might be frustrating to wait, but has anyone really been permanently denied a visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, quite a few people on here- though approvals are definitely more common then denials.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, denials are common at the interview stage. people sometimes get a false sense of security when they are through NVC and USCIS, most denials will come at the interview.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yes many people get refused, however if you have the patience and relationship can survive the long tasks of appeals and re-interviews almost everyone in the end will pass.

Unfortunately many relationships do not survive the long process of over-coming a rejection.

It also depends on Country beneficiary is from, high fraud countries have a much lower rate of success.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

For what reasons is a petition usually rejected?

Are you talking about the petition by the USC or the visa application by the beneficiary? If you truly mean the petition then you are correct, they are rarely denied. When it happens, it is usually because one or the other party was not free to marry at the time they got wed, for example a divorce wasn't final when they got married again.;

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

At the interview they try to make sure you have a valid relationship through a series of questions. If they decide that you don't have a valid relationship they deny the visa. Sometimes they are right , sometimes they are totally bogus. Our first interview we got denied because he coudln't tell the CO details of my classified work. He knew the company and the type of skills I have. The second time that was not a problem. As soon as they tried to bring up that subject he handed them a pile of forms from my work to fill out to request access and they didn't ask more. ( And the petition was approved )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

umm yeah,the embassies and USCIS have no obligations to reject or approve a certain amount of visas a year,they can do as they wish.try reading up on high fraud or terrorist country subforums to see what i mean

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

umm yeah,the embassies and USCIS have no obligations to reject or approve a certain amount of visas a year,they can do as they wish.try reading up on high fraud or terrorist country subforums to see what i mean

Just curious what someone with Iran listed as their country would consider a "terrorist country"?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Unfortunately I think we all petitioned men from suspect countries. Oh well, what's a girl to do? :whistle:

Fortunately Egypt has low profile in that

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Some common reasons for a visa denial (at interview stage):

1) The ConOff is not convinced that the couple have a genuine marriage/relationship

2) The beneficiary has some sort of criminal background that makes them ineligible for a visa to the US

3) The beneficiary has some contagious disease or mental problem that makes them a "public hazard", and therefore ineligible for a US visa

4) The beneficiary has breached US immigration rules in the past (e.g. overstayed a visa and/or entered the country undocumented and/or was deported) so they are banned from entering the US for several years, therefore ineligible for a US visa for a long time

There are several other reasons for denial, but these are the most common. Points 2,3 and 4 may give the option of filing for a waiver to overcome ineligibility, but the waiver is not guaranteed either, the process takes months, and it needs to be prepared by an experienced and competent attorney to stand a chance of being granted.

Assuming that none of points 2,3,4 apply to your case, your main burden is to convince the COs of your genuine and bona fide marriage. The good news is that this is fairly straightforward to prove if one's marriage is indeed bona fide.

Edited by Christi85

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Just curious what someone with Iran listed as their country would consider a "terrorist country"?

any country that supports terrorist activities or takes part in them.

in doesnt necessarily mean every man and woman in that country is a terrorist,it means the government is suspected of terrorist activities.

im perfectly fine with using that word,cant sugarcoat everything :thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with the comments above....some petitions are complicated and take much longer than others, but complete rejections are rare. For those without complicating factors (criminal records, etc.) that take great care to provide all the documents and evidence they possibly can, and who follow the guides closely, the process will probably be smooth and will follow the timelines noted on this site. :-)

Annie

N-400 Citizenship

Sept. 13, 2011 N-400 sent to Phoenix Lockbox

Sept. 20, 2011 Check cashed

Sept. 23, 2011 NOA rec'd for N-400

Oct. 17, 2011 Biometrics appointment

Nov. 29, 2011 Interview - PASSED! 3yr anniversary not until 12/09/11

Dec. 13, 2011 Status update received "Oath Scheduled"

Dec. 15, 2011 Letter received with Oath date

Dec. 27, 2011 OATH! US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

any country that supports terrorist activities or takes part in them.

in doesnt necessarily mean every man and woman in that country is a terrorist,it means the government is suspected of terrorist activities.

im perfectly fine with using that word,cant sugarcoat everything :thumbs:

Fair enough ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.