missyouhoney

What do u do while waiting for AOS?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

So, I´ve read somewhere that while u r waiting for the AOS u just have -no status-, so u can´t work, can´t drive, can´t study, etc. What do you do? Do you have to live on your spouse´s money? What do you to buy groceries or go to the gym? How do you entertain yourself? I see it as a waste of life, or perhaps I should see it as a long vacation?.....

Thanx.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So, I´ve read somewhere that while u r waiting for the AOS u just have -no status-, so u can´t work, can´t drive, can´t study, etc. What do you do? Do you have to live on your spouse´s money? What do you to buy groceries or go to the gym? How do you entertain yourself? I see it as a waste of life, or perhaps I should see it as a long vacation?.....

Thanx.

Hello you're being sponsored... so that is the SPONSOR's responsibility.. why is being questioned.? If the sponsor is the husband or wife then he/she takes care of the home .. ya know.. bills, food, entertainment... shopping.. until a work permit is obtained.... then equality starts.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

You can act like a tourist.. Your typo :thumbs: should read EAD not EAP(Employee Assistant Program).

Get to know the city/town you are now residing in.

Yes, doing that time you'll will be living off of the USC spouse.

Oh to answer your question about it being a waste of life, you should enjoy this long vacation because most US jobs only offers you 1 to 2 weeks vacation time a year, not like our European counter-partners.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanx.

In some places you CAN study, you'll just be paying high fees (for not being a permanent resident) but that depends on the college.

You CAN drive for a period on your home countries licence. It depends again on your state rules so you'll need to ask about that because somtimes you'll need an IDP (international drivers permit) as well as a licence.

You CAN do volunteer work, you CAN take up a hobby. You also have 6 months to ENTER the US on the K1 so you have that chance to "save up" money if you are worried about spending your spouses money.

Mostly though I'm a little confused about why you're having issues with spending your spouses money... its YOUR money too.. you're married. If you're concerned you should be discussing this with your spouse. I haven't had a job in the 18 months i've been here and Tony supports me and is 100% fine with that (joint decision for reasons I won't go into). I only just this week finalised my US drivers licence. WE bought a house (yes he pays the mortgage but it's OUR house because we're married).

It gets a little boring but it's not forever.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So, I´ve read somewhere that while u r waiting for the AOS u just have -no status-, so u can´t work, can´t drive, can´t study, etc.

This is not completely correct. When you file for AOS, you can also file for EAD and AP. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) allows you to work while the AOS is pending. AP is advanced parole which allows for travel outside of the US while the AOS is pending.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanx.

Enjoy the free time while you can. Perhaps volunteer, take up some hobbies, discover your neighborhood........you'll be working eventually and wishing you had time off again :lol:

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Timeline

This is not completely correct. When you file for AOS, you can also file for EAD and AP. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) allows you to work while the AOS is pending. AP is advanced parole which allows for travel outside of the US while the AOS is pending.

I agree with this user's post

You should have applied for EAD with your AOS. This give you the ability to work while your AOS is pending.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanx.

When I arrived in my fiancè's house I immediately noticed or smelled that there are a million and one task to be done right away. Yes, I lived my life in a minute condo unit back in Italy but it was not that bad in terms of smell and sight. If you get what I mean, Carlo's house was built in the 1920's and never was restored nor modernized nor cleaned (in the true sense of the word).His backyard has long been forgotten and become an eerie patch of a bush, poison ivies and the like has overtaken his house walls and even penetrating the windows. THESE are the things that I kept myself busy with while waiting for the famous and much coveted EAD.

I did not or am not living with my spouse's money as I have my own savings. Just a few days ago it was his birthday and of course I have to buy him gifts and that was possible only because I did save for that occasion many months ago. I knew beforehand that he is not rich so I did not expect anything fancy. I tried my best to save while we were waiting for the result of our K-1 application and I'm proud to say that I do not entirely depend from him.

I wanted to work (geez I was spending more than a thousand for groceries and other stuff/month), there are lots of undocumented Mexicans who are employed, so why can't I? But as the law-abiding-citizen as my fiancé is, he does not permit me. I can not even go jogging as I usually do back in Italy because he sez our neighborhood is not safe. The food in the US is something I review as "garbage" and I just need to work out all those calories away and the solution we come to vote is for me to frequent his Martial Arts classes. So it went that way till now.

In conclusion, I can say that even If Carlo possessed a well-managed, well-run and spic and span house there will still be things that I would see that needed care/attention to filling my time while waiting for my much aspired Green Card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanx.

You chose the K-1, this is part of it. Your husband can support you because he provided TWO affidavits of support saying so, so that is not a problem.

You can do volunteer work if you want, go to school is another option.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Mostly though I'm a little confused about why you're having issues with spending your spouses money... its YOUR money too.. you're married. If you're concerned you should be discussing this with your spouse. I haven't had a job in the 18 months i've been here and Tony supports me and is 100% fine with that (joint decision for reasons I won't go into). I only just this week finalised my US drivers licence. WE bought a house (yes he pays the mortgage but it's OUR house because we're married).

Yes, indeed. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Thanx.

I love living off my spouse's money and happily for me...he loves me spending it :P

I think regardless of my outcome, my life will be pretty much the same and trust me when you are dealing with kids there is no such thing as a vacation.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Thanx.

Take some yoga classes- join a gym- go for some walks on some nature trails- go to the local museums- drive around the city get to know you new home- do you have a hobby -if not great time to start something you've always wanted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

True, but also partly misleading because it will take around 3months for the average person to get their EAD or AP and then GC interviews are typically scheduled 3-5 months from application. So, you are not gaining that much, but a couple weeks is still a couple weeks. This is your time to adjust, so try to take the most advantage of this time.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanx.

You're thinking about this far too negatively! Think of all the great parts about it like...great, I don't have to work for a while! Or how about this one...waste of life, no way, I'm finally with my love!!!! ;)

adu7iqzpc.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.