Wade+Kristin

Copies of the emails and chat logs

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is okay to copy things into a word document/notepad and then print from that? I was just looking through the content of the mails we have been sending to each other and here and there I find some things I would like to have edited out of them, such as mentioning of going out for a few beers or mild cursing. Can I either edit it out, remove it with a marker? In a string of mails back and forth to each other, there might be a mail here and there I rather not use, which is why I am asking if it is possible to paste the parts I'd like to use over to a word processer and take it from there? Not sure if it is recommended/prefered to print directly from the mailbox or not. Any advice is appreciated!

W & K

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

Personally I wouldn't put into a word document and edit. But that's just me. What I have done is made a files in my email box one is To SO and one is From SO and put all email in such files. Then I made print outs of the lists of emails I have. Then I printed out a few emails. I also have some email that have info that I don't want available to everyone who looks at my file. So I just don't include them.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

you want to keep as much integirty as possible, so you dont' want to use notepad to edit, simpy print it out and use a black marker to blackout the parts you don't want the VO to see.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree, I wouldn't edit anything in the e-mails. In fact, we included all emails including those where we were arguing or disagreeing about something. We wanted to show that we have fights and then also show that we can resolve them.

I would be very scared to edit anything because if you're ever asked to provide the original for some reason, you wouldn't be able to.

We didn't submit any emails, chat-logs, letters or cards. We did bring phone records but they never asked.

If you do choose to do some/all of the above - a best practice might be to select important/significant ones (birthdays, holidays, etc) and leave out the every day 'chatter' ones. :thumbs:

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

better make a print screen of the emails(like 2 or 3 emails from every month) and chat logs rather than using a word editor which will ignore the logo of yahoo,msn,skype and your papers will look like u did at home:) however u may not be asked to show any of that but we say for just in case

Good luck#####

We didn't submit any emails, chat-logs, letters or cards. We did bring phone records but they never asked.

If you do choose to do some/all of the above - a best practice might be to select important/significant ones (birthdays, holidays, etc) and leave out the every day 'chatter' ones. :thumbs:

This is my thought for your situation as well.

Also, a lot of people just take screen shots of their inbox or the email folder where they keep correspondence from their fiance(e). They aren't necessarily interested in WHAT you are saying, just that you ARE saying something to each other with some frequency, and such an overview fits the bill. Read your embassy reviews (link at top right of the page). I doubt you'll find that many at your embassy had to provide much proof of relationship at all.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

A book I'm consulting says you can provide redacted emails in which you take out, for example, the most intimate stuff. Where I omitted, I wrote <snip> or something like that so it's clear something's missing. If they want to see originals, no they won't be exactly the same, but it will be obvious why I chose to leave out some stuff.

Since I lived with my husband in London before bringing him to the US, I had loads of emails about every day things that I thought proved we had met and had a life together along the lines of "what do you want for dinner" and "where will I meet you after work" and printed off some of those. Since some of them had little personal things in it and endearments that I didn't want to share with the USCIS, I simply blacked those out with a marker pen.

Everything worked out fine - no questions asked.

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is okay to copy things into a word document/notepad and then print from that? I was just looking through the content of the mails we have been sending to each other and here and there I find some things I would like to have edited out of them, such as mentioning of going out for a few beers or mild cursing. Can I either edit it out, remove it with a marker? In a string of mails back and forth to each other, there might be a mail here and there I rather not use, which is why I am asking if it is possible to paste the parts I'd like to use over to a word processer and take it from there? Not sure if it is recommended/prefered to print directly from the mailbox or not. Any advice is appreciated!

W & K

I printed an email log of all emails and four samples from each of us. I did not edit anything, but didn't choose anything for print that needed editing.

Can you edit? Of course! It is YOUR email, it is YOUR evidence. You can present as little or as much as you like. Heavily edited emails may be a liability more than an asset though, you don't get do make that judgement.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It might be different, depending on which consulate you're going through, but I would think the most intimate parts of the conversation are exactly what you would WANT to let the consulate see. These are the things that demonstrate a genuine relationship. Given a choice between including parts of conversation where we were talking about food, or a really mushy conversation where we talk about how much we're in love, I'd include the mushy one. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Niue
Timeline
It might be different, depending on which consulate you're going through, but I would think the most intimate parts of the conversation are exactly what you would WANT to let the consulate see. These are the things that demonstrate a genuine relationship. Given a choice between including parts of conversation where we were talking about food, or a really mushy conversation where we talk about how much we're in love, I'd include the mushy one. :blush:

I agree... if they want emails they are getting some with "Rated R" content. For the initial application I printed a few emails from each week. My fiancee thinks she needs to print every email so that is what she is going to do (born in the year of the Ox).

My fiancee said "Many of your emails are nasty." "The consulate will think you are sex crazy." A few of my emails might have been Rated R. Oh well..... I did not plan it, but I think a couple would not speak about such things unless they had a "bona-fide" relationship.

I figure these are adults doing the interviewing so they have probably seen it all before.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-02-28

NVC Left : 2009-03-17

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-23

Packet 4 Received : 2009-07-24

Interview Date : 2009-08-06

Visa Received : 2009-08-11

US Entry : 2009-10-06 San Francisco

Marriage : 2009-10-15 Sacramento

I-130 Submitted : 2009-11-03

I-485 Submitted : 2009-11-03

I-130 NOA : 2009-11-09

I-485 NOA : 2009-11-09

The only kosher was to take out info is to "redact" your document. A really easy way is to PDF it (either a screen shot or print to PDF) and then use the commenting tools in Acrobat to put black or white boxes over the information you want to delete. I would not go the "<snip>" route suggested above because it requires too much fiddling with the original and is not a standard way to redact. If your emails are not in English, the translation should also indicate where the information was redacted.

The black marker or white out pen idea works too, but I find acrobat to be neater. What ever you decide, you should stamp/write "REDACTED" in big, bold letters on the redacted document. I always do it in red. AND what ever you do, don't redact it without so stating because you are promising by providing the docs to USCIS that they are true and complete copies of the originals. A clearly identified redacted document can fit within this definition, but an edited one cannot.

I don't think that it will hurt you to put in documents that have been redacted, but choose wisely. For example, don't redact long paragraphs of information (it looks like your hiding something worth knowing). In the emails I submitted, I only redacted phone numbers, names of individuals unrealted to the application, and the like. I don't even have any PG-13 emails, but I would probably have redacted anything "sexy" that I wouldn't be comfortable with my mother reading. At the same time, I didn't redact the syrup-laden, mushy stuff (which it would mortify me to have my actual friends or family read).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Well, MSN chat logs are saved as a text file for me, so no logo etc there, just words.

Mushy stuff was left be, as for the naughty stuff well, I just cut it off and put there <censored>. A few sentences leading up to the hanky panky parts hint at it so its pretty logical what will come next. We chose to edit it out for privacy reasons. Its meant for the two of us, not some stranger.

Emails were printed directly from yahoo, hotmail etc with their logo and no editing out.

That pdf idea sounds good, might look into it later.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

yeah you could edit it... i did with some of them

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.