dasay

B2 Visa Denied for father - Philippines

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! So my dad had his interview yesterday and he was denied. We couldn't understand why.

These are the questions they asked him:

CO: What is the purpose of your visit?

My dad: To visit my daughter

CO: What does your daughter do?

Dad: She is a Registered Nurse

CO: How long has she been working as a nurse?

Dad: Almost 1 year. 10 months to be exact. ( I passed my boards not too long ago).

CO: How did your daughter get to the US?

Dad: Through a K1 Fiancee Visa.  (My husbad and I met in europe)

CO: How long has she been in the US?

Dad: 4 years.

CO: Have you travelled out of the country before?

Dad: Yes. (Visited my sister in Dubai for 2 months)

CO: Another daughter? 

Dad: Yes.

CO: Unfortunately, I cant grant you a visa today. Try again next time.

What mistake did he do? I cant see anything wrong with his interview other than his denial. My dad has other 2 kids who are in college and highshool.

What do u think is the basis of his denial? Can he apply again in 2 weeks? We have a planned vacation at the end of March. (We dont usually go on vacation so this is a perfect time 👌). And his birthday is on May. Thats why we wanted him to stay 2 months. What can we do differently?

Edited by dasay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
5 minutes ago, dasay said:

Hi everyone! So my dad had his interview yesterday and he was denied. We couldn't understand why.

Dad: Almost 1 year. 10 months to be exact. ( I passed my boards not too long ago).

CO: Unfortunately, I cant grant you a visa today. Blah blah blah.

What mistake did he do? I cant see anything wrong with his interview other than his denial. My dad has other 2 kids who are in college and highshool.

What do u think is the basis of his denial? Can he apply again in 2 weeks? We have a planned vacation at the end of March. (We dont usually go on vacation so this is a perfect time 👌). And his birthday is on May. Thats why we wanted him to stay 2 months. What can we do differently?

what country is it for? and he might feel that he does not have strong enough ties to his country.

and depending on when you got here and the status of might have forethought of immigration intent.

I am sure it isn't anything that he said wrong, he was open and honest about his intentions but they are trained to first think of immigration intent.

sorry I didn't see Philippines at the top

Edited by Khallaf

14 minutes ago, dasay said:

Nothing was done wrong. We have seen people have good evidence and still get denied. The CO likely didn't think you father showed enough ties to his country. All he can do now is wait a while and try again. Maybe get more travel time.

Does he own property? He has 2 daughter that are away from their country, any children that are still in his home country?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, dasay said:

Same thing happened to my in-laws a few years ago. Got denied the very first try. My in-laws go rattled and were not consistent. It appeared to the CO that they are too eager to come. However, after 2 months, they did try again and since they were more relaxed and answer all the questions clearly, they got their 10 Multiple Entry Visa. They stayed here for about 3 months and after that, they do not want to come back - too lonely and boring for them.

Let them try again and just tell them to relax and be very very honest.

Edited by joglen1210

12 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Nothing was done wrong. We have seen people have good evidence and still get denied. The CO likely didn't think you father showed enough ties to his country. All he can do now is wait a while and try again. Maybe get more travel time.

Does he own property? He has 2 daughter that are away from their country, any children that are still in his home country?

Yes. My dad owns a house, land and a vehicle. He also has 2 other younger daughters in the Philippines. One is graduating college at the end of May or first week of June  (no set date yet) and we want him to be home by then. The other daughter is a minor and still in high school. My mom is also in the Philippines.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The CO possibly presumed that the OP was close to receiving citizenship and the father may want to adjust status

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

8 minutes ago, joglen1210 said:

Same thing happened to my in-laws a few years ago. Got denied the very first try. My in-laws go rattled and were not consistent. It appeared to the CO that they are too eager to come. However, after 2 months, they did try again and since they were more relaxed and answer all the questions clearly, they got their 10 Multiple Entry Visa. They stayed here for about 3 months and after that, they do not want to come back - too lonely and boring for them.

Let them try again and just tell them to relax and be very very honest.

Do you think my dad can try again in 2 weeks? Or is that too early? 

What did your inlaws do differently the next time aside from being more relaxed and confident? I am trying to think what my dad can do differently next time if we decide for him to try again.

6 minutes ago, dasay said:

I am trying to think what my dad can do differently next time if we decide for him to try again.

He can relax and have a free flowing conversation with the CO, rather than be coached.  Still up to the CO to approve/deny. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

3 minutes ago, MacUK said:

The CO possibly presumed that the OP was close to receiving citizenship and the father may want to adjust status

That can be a good possibility. I actually applied for citizenship and it is still pending. But do you think he cant get a chance for a b2 visa anymore because of that?

35 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

what country is it for? and he might feel that he does not have strong enough ties to his country.

and depending on when you got here and the status of might have forethought of immigration intent.

I am sure it isn't anything that he said wrong, he was open and honest about his intentions but they are trained to first think of immigration intent.

sorry I didn't see Philippines at the 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, dasay said:

Do you think my dad can try again in 2 weeks? Or is that too early? 

What did your inlaws do differently the next time aside from being more relaxed and confident? I am trying to think what my dad can do differently next time if we decide for him to try again.

2 weeks is too early. it will appear that they are too eager to come. maybe in a month or 2, but then again, its not a guarantee, specially in these current political climate. my in-laws were asked, why do they think the reason for their denial - so they replied that " we think its too early for us to come to America". there reason being, they applied for a visa 5 months ahead of our wedding, it was May and our wedding is Oct. they went back to re-apply in July. they got approved. it will all depend on the CO. I warned them the first time to be very careful and my in-laws then did not appreciate the warning and thought I just didn't want them to come (they believed me when they go denied). good luck to your tatay!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 hours ago, dasay said:

That can be a good possibility. I actually applied for citizenship and it is still pending. But do you think he cant get a chance for a b2 visa anymore because of that?

There's always a chance.

Having a US citizen as an immediate relative just raises the amount of ties needed to their home country.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The decision is usually based on the merits of the application, not chit chat during the interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

The decision is usually based on the merits of the application, not chit chat during the interview.

That is what I think also.

They have already reviewed the file and made a decision, the interview is more of a formality.

I also think this is true with K1 visa as well in Manila,  Pretty much decision is made and the CO only asks about 4 questions and boom, approved......

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

4 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I also think this is true with K1 visa as well in Manila,  Pretty much decision is made and the CO only asks about 4 questions and boom, approved......

That wasn't the case with my wife and I in Manila last year. We had 11 minutes of questions and such with the "pre-interview" person (the time is recorded on the sheet you give to the CO), then about 5 minutes or so with the actual CO, who asked fewer relationship questions but was not anything severe or concerning. It seemed pretty typical and they had no problems with us, but it did not seem as if they made a decision beforehand...especially since Manila COs have no way to look at the material beforehand as you don't even know what CO you will get until you walk up to the window.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.