Diane and Chris

Coming to US on K1 visa

11 posts in this topic

Hello to all.  We are finally getting ready to purchase the airline ticket for fiancé to come to the US on the K1!  Perhaps 10 days out. We have a couple of questions. 

1) Is a round trip ticket ok to use even though the return portion will not be used?  It is much cheaper to go that route. 

2) Will fiancé pay any fees upon entering at customs?

3) Should flight be directly to US with no stops in other countries for layovers?

4) Any suggestions as to which point of entry is better?  Fiancé's final destination will be Atlanta but it looks like there are no direct flights from Switzerland to Atlanta at this time of year.

Thanks so much for your responses. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Hello to all.  We are finally getting ready to purchase the airline ticket for fiancé to come to the US on the K1!  Perhaps 10 days out. We have a couple of questions. 

1) Is a round trip ticket ok to use even though the return portion will not be used?  It is much cheaper to go that route.  If round trip is cheaper (one way was cheaper for us) then buy a round trip. Book the return flight like 5-6 months out, just remember to cancel it after arrival (also make sure there aren't any cancellation fees or what ever)

2) Will fiancé pay any fees upon entering at customs? No, unless bringing an excessive amount of delcarable items.

3) Should flight be directly to US with no stops in other countries for layovers? Doesn't matter as long as the country doing the lay over in does not require some sort of t;ransit visa (most don't i don't think just for international layover inside the terminals)

4) Any suggestions as to which point of entry is better?  Fiancé's final destination will be Atlanta but it looks like there are no direct flights from Switzerland to Atlanta at this time of year. Really doesn't matter. Long as at the POE into the US there is about 3-4 hours between flights to ensure adequate time to get through customs and make it to the next flight.

Check here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php for reviews of POE's in the US

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

1) Is a round trip ticket ok to use even though the return portion will not be used?  It is much cheaper to go that route. 

You can buy a RT ticket, just make sure you cancel the return leg, so your fiancés doesn't show up on some manifest somewhere as leaving the country.  Many airlines (for a fee) will allow you to bank the return leg for 6-12 months, so you may still be able to use the return leg at some point for a different trip.

Not that I am aware of.

3) Should flight be directly to US with no stops in other countries for layovers?

Depends on the ease of setting up a direct route.  With my fiancé, she had to fly through China prior to the US, and she had no issues. 

4) Any suggestions as to which point of entry is better?  Fiancé's final destination will be Atlanta but it looks like there are no direct flights from Switzerland to Atlanta at this time of year.

Since you are in Georgia, I assume Atlanta would be the closest major airport to you.  My advice would be to have your fiancé enter at the airport you plan on meeting at if at all possible to avoid needing to clear Immigrations and customs and also hunt for a connecting flight.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a side-note. If your layover to the U.S. happens to be in Canada, your POE will be in Canada, NOT the U.S., so keep this in mind as you'll want your layover to be a few hours so you don't miss your connecting flight to the U.S., because you were stuck in U.S. customs in a Canadian airport. Departing a Canadian airport to a U.S. one will be a domestic flight, you won't need to do customs when you land.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
24 minutes ago, zilchfox said:

If your layover to the U.S. happens to be in Canada, your POE will be in Canada, NOT the U.S., so keep this in mind as you'll want your layover to be a few hours so you don't miss your connecting flight to the U.S., because you were stuck in U.S. customs in a Canadian airport.

Wanted to highlight this. Make sure you have PLENTY of layover time at your initial stop. Took my husband 3 hours to get through secondary inspection.

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

I flew into Atlanta in January this year also as a K1 visa holder.

The longest time I had to wait was actually waiting in line to get to the officer. 

Activating my visa and getting the stamp in the passport only took about 10 minutes (you obviously have to go to two officers. The first asks you questions, takes your pictures and finger prints and the other one checks the documents in the envelope).

The total waiting time was probably 45 to 60 minutes because the waiting line was really long. I didn't have to worry about getting a connection flight since my fiancé (now husband )lives in Atlanta.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

I go from teh netherlands to atlanta on a regular bases. I have the best experiance flying with united or lufthansa. with a layover in franfurt or houston texas. I think you can get the same layovers from switzerland. also if you fly with united and you ahve a layover in Texas and get hold up and dont make your conected flight the book you on the next one with no charge, the time that happened to my i only had to wait 1 hour. lufthansa does the same.

Edited by David&Femke

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

By the way, all of your questions have been asked many times before and are answered in numerous previous threads. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thank you for pointing that out, Mr. TBone.  It does appear our question was answered by many and it was helpful.  Thanks again everyone for your input. It is hard to find the proper threads to find answers to questions. But, this part of our journey is over and we hope to find more answers to questions as we continue. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2017 at 5:45 PM, Diane and Chris said:

Only work of caution relates to importing of goods, customs/excise may deem your POE as the tax point not the final destination.

1) Is a round trip ticket ok to use - yes, consider a family event in the future when Fiancé's  can fly back ( you have many months before returning c.12mths ....you never know it could be a week of 30C again, not just 2003!

2) Only if loaded with cash, jewels and alcohol ....... 

3) Price determines journey, I fly KLM via Amsterdam to Boston then because of the size of the airport nip to the domestic flight. I have given up on Swiss. Look at new routes like Lufthansa to Charlotte ..... ( one thought to do a road trip to Atlanta ) ... as others with Air France are also opening. It all depends on amount of luggage, hassles and flying same carrier and not swapping from one to another and having 20 or 23 kg issues per bag etc...  

4) Advice is to avoid "big" airports as POE because of possible transfer / airport size........ simply because I hate La Guardia & Miami .....love Boston, Orlando, Atlanta and a few others on a "good rating" ...... the problem for the big ones laround NYC are they are cheap with Swiss. 

AND why get to her POE and you both fly down to Atlanta together to start your new life together???? ...... no answer required, just a romantic thought.:)  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.