bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm in the same boat. My husband is awaiting interview in Abu Dhabi since September and I'm petrified!

I think if he's at that stage you'll be fine. Even if he does make it hard for spouse's to get visas, it will definitely take a little bit of time to take affect, by which time your husband would have had his interview.

I'm still waiting for my NOA2, so i'm a little nervous. I'm hoping it was all talk!! And he will look at bigger issues first.

Filed: Timeline

Listen...

Any changes to immigration is going to take some time. Those who are on a journey now should continue to stay focused. Yes, it is going to be tense for many immigrants for the next few years but don't expect many changes to happen in the immediate future.

Agree .

Listen...

Any changes to immigration is going to take some time. Those who are on a journey now should continue to stay focused. Yes, it is going to be tense for many immigrants for the next few years but don't expect many changes to happen in the immediate future.

Agreed. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves, he doesn't take office until the 20th January - then to pass an immigration reform, you'll be looking at months.

I would also expect that any immigration reform passed does NOT impact ongoing applications or petitions. I would imagine anyways.

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Trump is more into deporting the illegals and running more extensive background checks on the ones that want to immigrate. I wouldn't worry to much but remember it might take some time to actually put anything into effect and the house must vote and approve what he wants to do.

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Trump is more into deporting the illegals and running more extensive background checks on the ones that want to immigrate. I wouldn't worry to much but remember it might take some time to actually put anything into effect and the house must vote and approve what he wants to do.

Yeah that's my thinking too - he doesn't take office until January 20th, so if we submit our I-129F this week or next, with any luck we should receive our NOA2 before then anyways.

My main worry is that a little while ago he was talking about pausing green cards temporarily...

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Yeah that's my thinking too - he doesn't take office until January 20th, so if we submit our I-129F this week or next, with any luck we should receive our NOA2 before then anyways.

My main worry is that a little while ago he was talking about pausing green cards temporarily...

No from my understanding it was to stop the work visas, he doesn't have a problem with immigration as long as it's done legally. Also you will want to file the k1 before the new higher fees go into effect in December

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

No from my understanding it was to stop the work visas, he doesn't have a problem with immigration as long as it's done legally. Also you will want to file the k1 before the new higher fees go into effect in December

Yeah we were gonna file before then anyways, we've done this all before - the I-129F submission, we just withdrew it at embassy stage because we felt like the timing wasn't right. But yeah the plan for now is to plan this or next week :)

I expect that one of the things that will be felt immediately will be an extension of time to complete the process.

First due to extra vetting of the individuals coming into the USA. I expect that President Trump will ask for additional security checks for every applicant.

The second delay I think may happen might be caused by a huge increase of applicants trying to get in before any changes to the US immigration policies may take effect.

Of course only time will tell...after all how long has Mr. Trump been President??????

JM101

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Listen...

I agree, changing the laws takes its time, and it sounds too weird to me if they say: nah! You cant move to USA to live with your husband! He does not even hold dual citizenship. At least i hope it won't happen, im frustrated enough with the long process

If you've got to interview stage then you're almost at the end of the journey. Trump doesn't even take office until January 20. That 2.5 months from now. And if he wants to make any changes to spousal visas (and he has not confirmed that he will) then it will take several months, if not years, for everything to be passed through law. There may be additional security checks from certain regions but I think that was inevitable anyway - many countries are implementing the same policy for immigrants.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

To all of you

the President does not conttrol immigration

it is not paid for under the Federal budget

it is paid for by our fees only

when i wrote to Obama the letter i received said "all were concerned over immigraition but the President and federal government officals did not control immigration

the President, however, will appoint ambassadors and change out who he wants in the first quarter of his Presidency he appoints thousands of positions

there is no special congressional committee working on immigration reform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_United_States_Senate_committees

this is the 2015 committees our senate now has and it has not changed

it is up to the Senate to start a special committee to invesigate and make new immigration laws

Trump is concerned with illegal immigrants

he has no idea what happens with legal immigration / he doesn't even know about the DV lottery

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you've got to interview stage then you're almost at the end of the journey. Trump doesn't even take office until January 20. That 2.5 months from now. And if he wants to make any changes to spousal visas (and he has not confirmed that he will) then it will take several months, if not years, for everything to be passed through law. There may be additional security checks from certain regions but I think that was inevitable anyway - many countries are implementing the same policy for immigrants.

Yeah except that we don't have an interview date either. Our case completed 55 days ago. Maybe I'm thinking too much...hopefully, he will be scheduled before the big change.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

First of all, I am so glad that I'm not alone in panicking. I'm an Indian Citizen and my husband is a LPR. My case has already been completed at the NVC and my PD is just 2 to 3 months away from being current. I'd really appreciate it if someone can shed some light into the visa possibilities from the point of view of my case. It just seems so unfair that I waited for all these months, did everything right and now BAM! I can't go start a life with my husband?? :cry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I've got my K-1 visa approved and I'm planning on flying to the US in February, so I''ve been reading articles all morning about his plan for LEGAL immigration.

Here's what understood:

1.- Back in February he proposed banning the issuance of all green cards for 1-2 years.

2.- Then he promised to reduce the amount of green cards issued per year. Also making it harder to get a green card (based on merit instead of family based)

NO, he doesn't need congress approval to do any of these two. He controls both chambers now anway.

And YES he can defund USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.