Fianceelost

Fiancee facing deportation?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello, My fiancee and I live together in Miami. we are about to marry. He had a son in Brazil and need to pay child support. The economic situation here is not easy and he is one month behind of the payments. His ExGirlfrend back in Brazil is sending me messages telling me that she wants $1500 in her bank account or he will call immigration on us. (He enter to the country with a Bussiness Visa, but expire 1 year ago). We want to marry long ago, but really we are leaving paycheck to paycheck, and we don't have the money necessary for the ceremony and the license. and we don't have the $4000 that the immigration lawyer charges us for fill all the paperwork for his status change and everything that. My real question is my Fiancee is facing deportation???

4 minutes ago, Fianceelost said:

Hello, My fiancee and I live together in Miami. we are about to marry. He had a son in Brazil and need to pay child support. The economic situation here is not easy and he is one month behind of the payments. His ExGirlfrend back in Brazil is sending me messages telling me that she wants $1500 in her bank account or he will call immigration on us. (He enter to the country with a Bussiness Visa, but expire 1 year ago). We want to marry long ago, but really we are leaving paycheck to paycheck, and we don't have the money necessary for the ceremony and the license. and we don't have the $4000 that the immigration lawyer charges us for fill all the paperwork for his status change and everything that. My real question is my Fiancee is facing deportation???

Are you an U.S. citizen?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can marry and he can AOS. He gets a green card. The fact that he stayed illegal is forgiven as long as you AOS in the U.S. and you are a U.S. citizen. In this case, you can follow the guides and advice on this forum, you don't need a lawyer. You have to apply for an EAD that allows him to work in 3-4 months after you apply for AOS. That should help with the child support. Hopefully he hasn't been working illegally! 

Marriage license is pretty cheap. You don't need to have a ceremony if you don't have money! You would need close to 1600 for the AOS (UCSIS fee) and you can fill in all the paperwork yourselves following the VJ guides.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, that is another matter. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

If she contact immigration about him they will not drop everything they are doing and go after him right away, but they might take the tip and work on it at some point, especially in these days. If you are living paycheck to paycheck then you don't need to do the ceremony. First things first, get married and file the I-130 for your husband. You don't need $4000 for lawyer, here on Visajourney you will get the help you need to do it yourself. Lot of people file without lawyers. Good luck.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Deportation? Wouldn't worry about that unless caught by ICE.

Like above, if you are a US citizen, no issues. If not, then different matter.

Money wise, you do need to spend a fair amount for his AOS as well as be able to prove you can sponsor him(or have a joint sponsor).

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

8 minutes ago, Deagle said:

First things first, get married and file the I-130 for your husband. 

Yes, but also file the form for his EAD. It is free if you file it at the same time. Plus, he needs the authorization to work legally because you need the money.

Yes, he is deportable. If he is found working and gets deported, that is something that might not be overcome even by marrying a US citizen.

If he leaves the US, he already has a 10 year ban. 

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Are you an U.S. citizen?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can marry and he can AOS. He gets a green card. The fact that he stayed illegal is forgiven as long as you AOS in the U.S. and you are a U.S. citizen. In this case, you can follow the guides and advice on this forum, you don't need a lawyer. You have to apply for an EAD that allows him to work in 3-4 months after you apply for AOS. That should help with the child support. Hopefully he hasn't been working illegally! 

Marriage license is pretty cheap. You don't need to have a ceremony if you don't have money! You would need close to 1600 for the AOS (UCSIS fee) and you can fill in all the paperwork yourselves following the VJ guides.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, that is another matter. 

Yes I'm citizen. I get my naturalization ceremony around a year ago. Can you tell me what is the AOS and the EAD? Maybe some links to find out what we need?

7 minutes ago, Fianceelost said:

Yes I'm citizen. I get my naturalization ceremony around a year ago. Can you tell me what is the AOS and the EAD? Maybe some links to find out what we need?

Ok. The fact that you are a citizen simplifies things. 

AOS is Adjustment of Status. I means he can change his status my marrying a US citizen and get a green card. Read this: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Adjustment_of_Status

EAD is an employment authorization. He will get a card that allows him to work legally. The EAD is temporary, while he waits for his green card to arrive. 

Here are some guides from VJ:

Examples of forms (check Adjustment of Status (Green Card) Example forms)

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

Here is a list of what you will need to submit (don't pay attention to the K1 visa, the process is the same without the K1 visa because he is already in the US). 

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The I-765 is the form to get the EAD

The I-864, if you don't qualify, you can get a joint sponsor, like your parents or any other US citizen who meets the requirements. 

This thread could be useful:

You can make your own thread with questions once you fill the paperwork, but before you submit it. You should start checking the documents you don't have (like his birth certificate?) and get them. Also, marry as soon as possible to avoid deportation. Try to send the paperwork for AOS soon but don't rush because you want to make sure you did the paperwork correctly. 

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures" to "adjustment of status from

work/study/tourist visas" as the fiancé is already in the USA*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

All you guys need to worry about is the application fee to adjust his status, and the small fee for marriage license. You do not need a lawyer, so save your $4000. Follow the tips in this forum and you will be fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Really bad idea to mess around with home-country laws.

It might and most likely will affect application for GC and potentially Naturalization in future.

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems a civil issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Fianceelost said:

Just a curiosity, is your fiancée currently working?  If his business visa expired and he is working, it could pose issues while trying to AOS.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You dont need a lawyer so  you dont need to spend $4,000 also even though he over stayed on his visa he still entered legally so she is just making noise dont let people get you frazzled let her know you will send what you can. If she does send a notice again its not gonna be a SWAT team take down overweight hey have real issues then a bitter baby momma because they also know people do spiteful acts.  You all however need to get married at the court house and get the ball rolling and in the long run it will help financially because he will have his documents to work etc. You will need to file the Adjustment of status and the i-130 so about $2,000 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.