Antonia & Dian

RFE: Petitioner & Beneficiary Have Met in Person

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Received an RFE for having met in person on May 30th. 

Anyone else received this type of RFE and what kind of evidence did you submit? 

I sent in a copy of my flight ticket and stamp in passport for entering Bulgaria but I guess it's insufficient. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Antonia & Dian said:

I sent in a copy of my flight ticket and stamp in passport for entering Bulgaria but I guess it's insufficient. 

Hi

i recently went for my interview and lucky passed it.

The documents i took with me was:

1. Original birth certificate + 1 copy

2. Previous marriage docs e.g. Divorce Decree and marriage certificate (original and copies of each)

3. Confirmation letter/appointment letter

4. passpot

5. 2x2 passport size photos (white background)

6. Evidence of meeting in person and traveling, communication proof with you fiance

7. copy of the check through which you paid

8. All the required forms 

9. You and your fiance's letter of intent to marry

10. The petitioners certificate of naturalization (copy)

11. Petitioners income details and salary

12. All other evidence like gifts, tickets, boarding passes

note: whatever you sent in your package, same documents are required when you go for the interview and the type of questions they ask will depend on the available documents submitted.

cheers and goodluck!!!

13 minutes ago, Antonia & Dian said:

hi - getting to and entering bulgaria does not automatically mean that you guys actually met. do you have bookings or reservations with both your names on it plus supporting pics showing the two of you together attending said reservation? i would submit these as evidence of meeting in person. other members here may also have better ideas so hopefully others will reply! good luck! =)

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, iamdegie said:

hi - getting to and entering bulgaria does not automatically mean that you guys actually met. do you have bookings or reservations with both your names on it plus supporting pics showing the two of you together attending said reservation? i would submit these as evidence of meeting in person. other members here may also have better ideas so hopefully others will reply! good luck! =)

Agreed, you need to include some photos of your meeting together in person as being in the same country is not sufficient proof.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Antonia & Dian said:

Did you not submit photos? You have to prove you actually met, a passport stamp isn't enough. It means you were in the country, but doesn't prove you met her. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
6 hours ago, Antonia & Dian said:

We sent in photos, passport stamps, apt rental reciept with both our names on it, luggage tags.  It looks like what you sent simply proved that you flew and entered Bulgaria, not that you actually met her. Do you have photos together, and reciepts showing you were in the same location at the same time. Please remember photos are considered secondary evidence. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, Maria1989 said:

...reciepts showing you were in the same location at the same time. Please remember photos are considered secondary evidence. 

Seems like a good opportunity to ask:

What kind of receipts prove being at the same location at the same time?

Hotel reservations ether do not have a space for the second person name or allow you to put arbitrarily any name; so that does not prove anything.

I submitted movie ticket stubs, with credit card receipt, and the photo of the two of us in front of the movie theater. But since the photo is secondary, the receipts do not prove anything again.

Any ideas for receipts that actually prove being together?

One I am thinking about is taking a foreign trip together, and providing named boarding passes AND matching border crossing stamps in both passports. Boarding passes by themselves again, do not prove anything, as I can purchase tickets, check in and get boarding passes without the other person actually present.

Any other ideas?

Timeline
14 hours ago, iamdegie said:

I actually started getting mad at myself for only submitting the passport stamp and flight ticket to Bulgaria after I learned of this website, I didn't know much in the beginning when submitting this petition, I thought photos are  more for the interview. We don't have any bookings or reservations unfortunately :( but we do have a passport stamp of entering Turkey for a day trip, I submitted that plus a few pictures of various events/holidays we spent together. I sent boarding passes and tickets once again from my second trip. I really hope that is enough for them. Thanks for the reply!

Timeline
14 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Agreed, you need to include some photos of your meeting together in person as being in the same country is not sufficient proof.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I submitted photos of us at various events/holidays, I hope that is evidence for them :) 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Maria1989 said:

We sent in photos, passport stamps, apt rental reciept with both our names on it, luggage tags.  It looks like what you sent simply proved that you flew and entered Bulgaria, not that you actually met her. Do you have photos together, and reciepts showing you were in the same location at the same time. Please remember photos are considered secondary evidence. 

We have a ton of photos but that's what I am afraid of, as they are secondary evidence. I have the dates and on some they have locations so I hope that is considered enough evidence. I think the major evidence I have is our passport stamp of entering Turkey for a day trip. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
1 hour ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

Seems like a good opportunity to ask:

What kind of receipts prove being at the same location at the same time?

Hotel reservations ether do not have a space for the second person name or allow you to put arbitrarily any name; so that does not prove anything.

I submitted movie ticket stubs, with credit card receipt, and the photo of the two of us in front of the movie theater. But since the photo is secondary, the receipts do not prove anything again.

Any ideas for receipts that actually prove being together?

One I am thinking about is taking a foreign trip together, and providing named boarding passes AND matching border crossing stamps in both passports. Boarding passes by themselves again, do not prove anything, as I can purchase tickets, check in and get boarding passes without the other person actually present.

Any other ideas?

Movie tickets with a photo of you two outside the theater is evidence. Me and my fiance travelled and have stamps showing we entered the same place on the same day, we have tons of pictures, we actually rented an apartment off of Airbnb.com and yes it does list us both on the reciept as Guest 1 and Guest 2. If you submit your flight and passport stamps, defintely more than one photo, and maybe even affidavits from her relatives or something. I think its the total package the works together to prove that you have met in the previous two years. You want to leave little doubt in the adjudicator's mind that this did in fact take place within the required time. 

My fiance even took a photo of us together holding our passports with the stamps. He is paranoid, I didnt send that one in, I thought we looked stupid. Lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Antonia & Dian said:

We have a ton of photos but that's what I am afraid of, as they are secondary evidence. I have the dates and on some they have locations so I hope that is considered enough evidence. I think the major evidence I have is our passport stamp of entering Turkey for a day trip. 

When we did ours we sent in about four photos showing us together, and saved all the rest for the interview.  Actually, for a K1 at least one photo dated showing the two of you together within the past two years is primary evidence to show you meet the meeting in person requirement.  Boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc., can only show that you were both in the same country, but not necessarily together unless you can show both on the same flight sitting next to each other or something like that.

Anyway, I am still confused, did you send photos with the original submission, or did you send those in response to the RFE?

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

When I send in my I-129F last year I added several pictures from several trips made to the US. Dated every photo, too. Photo's might be secondary proof but are still important to the package. Good luck. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

When we did ours we sent in about four photos showing us together, and saved all the rest for the interview.  Actually, for a K1 at least one photo dated showing the two of you together within the past two years is primary evidence to show you meet the meeting in person requirement.  Boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc., can only show that you were both in the same country, but not necessarily together unless you can show both on the same flight sitting next to each other or something like that.

Anyway, I am still confused, did you send photos with the original submission, or did you send those in response to the RFE?

Good Luck!

Did you have an RFE as well? I submitted a few photos in response to the RFE because initially I didn't submit any with the petition. I didn't have much knowledge on this whole process when beginning and a few weeks later after I sent the petition in I came across this website and knew I would get an RFE because I didn't really have much proof of meeting him in the last two years. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.