gregoryagu

Relationship goes bust

25 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So, the relationship went south. I am hoping to learn from the experience, so I am going to tell the story in the hopes someone will see something I did not.

I started a relationship with Svetlana back in February. We met through our Church group on Facebook. About a month later, I invited her to the US. We bought her a ticket, then tried to get a tourist Visa which was denied. Lost money on the ticket.

A few months later, I then went over to Chelyabinsk Russia and we spent 2 wonderful weeks together. It was as perfect as it gets.

At the end of the trip, I propose, she accepts. I then come back to the US and do the K1 Visa which after several months, gets approved. We were separated for about 5 months. Then I go back over for the interview which was scheduled for Nov 1.

But something is amiss. She almost missed meeting me at the airport. Things were good between us, but it wasn't quite the same. She had a lot of attention on her 15 year old daughter who had said several times that she did not want to come to the US. I glossed this over, thinking it would resolve naturally. The daughter speaks no English, and it was difficult to communicate with her. The mother then started saying that the daughter and I did not get along and she didn't think it was going to work. It a nutshell, in one hour, it went from us being engaged, to us not speaking. That was upsetting to me.

To me what happened is that the mother decided at some point while we were apart that she did not want to come to the US. But I was sending her money every week, and she obviously wanted to keep that up.

To be honest, it doesn't really make sense. I never once got the feeling when we were first together that she was into the relationship just for the financial benefits. She did not ask for presents or gifts, nor did a give her any but a few little things. I met her family and friends. We were in very good communication. But after we got engaged, she said that she wanted to not work (ie, she wanted me to send money to support her $150 per week), so she could study English. That made sense to me, so I said ok. In looking back, maybe that was a mistake.

I do think that she thought I was richer than I am. I make good money, but I have lots of credit card debt too. No-one in the US would call me rich. But I think to her she did think I had $50,000 in the bank. Because at one point, she did ask me for about $5,000 (to resolve an issue - a complicated story). I told her no because we were not yet married, and that DID seem like she was wanting to take advantage to me. But she was pretty upset at first about that, but then got over it.

I am trying to be frank here, because I don't want to make the same mistake again. If I have missed something obvious, please let me know. I don't think she started the relationship just for financial benefits, but at the other end, I do feel financially used.

I understand that any woman wants there man to be financially stable. But where is the line between wanting financial security, and starting/having a relationship just for the financial or Visa benefits?

I have seen many successful relationships started and continued for many many years that started with a long distance relationship. What am I doing wrong?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So you have a new girlfriend?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Ok, here is the story.

So I am in Chelyabinsk, feeling sorry for myself about the relationship going bust.

So I got on my Church group website and starting talking with several ladies and visited one before I left in Moscow. And of course, she seems like the perfect lady. They always do. Hence this post to try to do a postmortem analysis.

:pop:

You are fast...maybe you should try and evaluate what you are missing when getting involved with these woman.

And instead of paying someone's bills to go to school I would pay my own debt first.

I would be supporting someone when I have debt to be paid.

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

:pop:

You are fast...maybe you should try and evaluate what you are missing when getting involved with these woman.

And instead of paying someone's bills to go to school I would pay my own debt first.

I would be supporting someone when I have debt to be paid.

But she wanted to learn English?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

@Boiler, Yes, she wanted to learn English and she did well doing that.

@Anitafeliz, Yes, I want to learn from the experience. Gregcrs2 sent me a private email with some excellent relationship tops.

But she wanted to learn English?

:rofl:.... not on my dime.

OP you are better off. Try to not get used this time around.

I too did two k1 I also lucked out and am with a better person so I can relate. (First k1 never made it to the us)

Good luck...?

@Anitafeliz, Yes, I want to learn from the experience. Gregcrs2 sent me a private email with some excellent relationship tops.

I hope he advices you well. :thumbs: Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

I agree, you need to step back from dating at the moment. If you need someone, then yea sure date someone, BUT DON'T MARRY THEM ASAP.

I had this big long post typed out, but honestly I got exhausted from it, so here's some points from it.

One, if you date a person with a kid, ESPECIALLY if the kid has to come to America and learn English, make sure the kid knows you and you're actually going to get a long with the kid. THIS INVOLVES FACE TIME, physically being there to interact with the kid. A 15 year old isn't going to like many suitors who come near her mom, but add in moving to a country where she can't even speak the language? No way.

Two, if the person you are dating doesn't ask for money while in the girlfriend phase, but asks while she's your fiance, LIMIT any form of finances. Some women will not ask for money until they are engaged. When you're dating, you're just a girlfriend, so it may be harder to get money out of someone, but when you're the person that will be his wife, it's almost overall assumed that you'll be given what you ask for. So if there is a change in attitude or wanting of money AFTER you get engaged to a girl, that's because you're more official, and more likely to deal with the attitude changes or more likely to give out some money. If she waited to quit her job, then she probably was after the money. She could have done a few hours of English classes a week while at home on Skype, and still held a job.

600$ (150 per week) goes a very nice ways in Russia. They have 50% less cost of living than we do in America. She could get a 3 bedroom house for what you were sending her monthly. Do your research on how much money is being sent and how it converts, you may have been able to catch the money issue right there. You can get a russian/english bilingual teacher on skype for less than 20$ per hour. Some online are only 13$. https://preply.com/en/skype/english-tutors?utm_expid=132336826-4.QOT6JfHnR3-yqTUciNky3g.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

. "Cost of living in Russia is 50.42% lower than in United States (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in Russia is 61.31% lower than in United States (average data for all cities)."

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Russia&displayCurrency=USD

Three, do not be so eager to marry. Yes, marriage is the way you two will be together, but if you can endure a long distance then you will probably turn out okay.

_________________________________________________________________________________

When my husband and I started dating, we put down some rules.

One, that we would try our best to date for three years before marriage (AKA don't run off to the court house). (We started dating May 2013, filed K-1 April 2015, Married Feb 2016)

Two, that he wouldn't meet my daughter the FIRST time he visited, so I could get a good feel of him the first time I met him in person. I had known him online since 2010, but you NEVER know.

Three, once he did meet my daughter, he had to have a good relationship with her. My daughter has special needs, but this would have stood even if she didn't. It was VERY important to both of us that we would have a healthy family relationship, all three of us, so him having a good relationship with my daughter was VERY important and would have been a deal breaker if that didn't work out.

Four, that we would have talks about finances, how our household in general would work, our goals in 5 years, goals in 10 years, how hard we were willing to work for both of them. Religious views, political views, long conversations about our child hoods, things like that. Some people end up being incredibly thrown off when they find out that somehow, the person they married was racist, or didn't know how to manage money, or doesn't actually want to work, because they never talked about those things.

So before you marry someone, if you have ANY expectations of someone, you need to get those conversations out there. Long Distance Relationships will DIE without conversation, either when the distance is no longer there and you realize you don't really know the person, or because there was no conversing to begin with so the relationship fizzles before you can even be together again.

Some people like to say they have no expectations of their significant other, but at some point you do, or else everyone would be compatible with each other, because nothing would be expected of the other person.

Weirdly enough, LDR's with genuine people can be the strongest of relationships, because all you can do is talk, and when all you can do is talk, you tend to learn a lot about each other.

You can seek out a girlfriend, but DO NOT seek out a wife. Some people will say they date looking for "marriage material", well if that's the case then don't rush in. There's no reason too, if they're marriage material to start, then generally they will stay marriage material for a while.

If you don't want a LDR, then don't date women from other countries since you'll have no choice but to be in a long distance relationship with them.

I wish you the best of luck, and try to take things a bit slower. Date someone you actual have some feelings for, and if you have feelings for anyone that's semi-attractive to you, then get to know the people you want to date first, BEFORE actually dating them. Some people are simply attracted to... everything, so they go from relationship to relationship without a beat, not realizing that attraction does not always equate to a good relationship if EVERYTHING else that is in the foundation of a relationship is missing.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Some good tips here. I think it might help if you also be really honest about your financial situation up front. A lot of Russians just assume Americans are rolling in the money, especially since the ruble tanked two years ago. Make it clear that you are not Daddy Warbucks. I know that might be kind of awkward, but if you put it off it will just create confusion later.

It is popular for Russian women to want to be housewives, but honestly, that's more of a trend in only rich families nowadays. A lot of Russian women work and its pretty much the norm here now. If they have a seemingly good job but just suddenly show an interest in leaving it because they met you, that might be kind of a red flag.

And hey, I'm an English teacher here. She won't learn anything unless she has a native speaker teacher, which I'm assuming is almost non-existent in Chelyabinsk. It would just be a waste of money. If any Russian woman tells you she needs money to learn English, tell them: "I'm a native speaker. Write to me, talk to me...you'll learn much more than with a mediocre course there with a Russian teacher." And if she did find a native speaker teacher there, be prepared to pay big bucks for it because native speaker teachers are getting harder and harder to find here, and thus the prices are through the roof.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I didn't get to read the entire thread yet but from the original post I see 2 red flags right away.

she did ask me for about $5,000 (to resolve an issue - a complicated story). I told her no because we were not yet married, and that DID seem like she was wanting to take advantage to me. But she was pretty upset at first about that, but then got over it.

$5000 is a significant amount of cash even in the US, in Russia many people have to work for well over a year to make that much money. Asking for 5 grands when you're not even married and don't live together would make me think about golddigger possibility.

after we got engaged, she said that she wanted to not work (ie, she wanted me to send money to support her $150 per week), so she could study English.

Another golddigger flag. I understand if you're rich and she is poor some financial help may be involved to make her living situation more comfortable, but asking you to pay her $600/month (more than average professional with college degree makes in Russia) so she doesn't have to work anymore at all just after engagement? Run, run, run. There're tons of free or very affordable online tools and software to learn English so it doesn't cost that much and nobody studying language like 8 hours a day so it sounds to me like she just wanted to be unemployed while you're paying for her needs and wants.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

"I never once got the feeling when we were first together that she was into the relationship just for the financial benefits. She did not ask for presents or gifts, nor did a give her any but a few little things."

I understand this, but everyone has the same feeling. Almost nobody is going to be upfront that they're looking for money. The marriage (or even just girlfriend/boyfriend) game is a "long con" and the other party knows it. They first have to convince you of their sincerity before they go in for the money. Not asking for presents or gifts is exactly what they do.

Unfortunately, it's also what someone who is sincere will do, of course! But in general, I think the other person will "drop" you if they realize you're not going to give up the money and look for an easier mark. Someone who is sincere will stick around.

I don't mean to say that all of these men and women are cold-hearted con artists, though some are. (Also, in many countries there's no stigma to marrying for money; it's considered a smart move.) They might be an average person who thinks "this is a nice guy/nice woman, and it would be great to see some of that American money". If both parties have the same understanding, no harm no foul. But expecting a regular salary is DEFINITELY too much. Actually, saying "I can't afford that, sorry" is a good test of the person.

I notice that you met her through church, and while you didn't say anything further about that and I don't want to make assumptions, some people do have the idea that someone who is religious (especially of the same denomination) is automatically going to be a "good" person and won't treat a fellow church member badly, but that's the wrong assumption to make--people are people.

Good luck with your new relationship but as others have said, be careful. And I don't know anything about you--and will freely say that before my husband, I also had a boyfriend in a (different) foreign country--but you may want to do some self-searching and ask yourself why you're looking for a wife in Russia. What's preventing you from having a relationship with a woman who's already in the US? (I'm not asking for an answer, just throwing that out there.)

12/14 Met at work in Rwanda

2/21/15 Became a couple

11/19/15 Married

11/23/15 I left Rwanda 

12/30/15 Mailed I-130

1/06/16 NOA1

5/03/16 NOA2!

5/06/16 NVC received case

5/20/16 Case number assigned

5/23/16 Email from NVC with case number

5/23/16 Choice of Agent filled out, AOS fee invoiced and paid

5/31/16 Called NVC, reviewed I-261 over the phone

6/02/16 IV bill invoiced and paid

7/28/16 Finally! All police clearances and birth certificate received; mailed IV and AOS; filed I-260

8/04/16 Official scan date (tracking shows "delivered" the day before)

8/15/16 Visiting my husband! 10 days

9/01/16 Received checklist in error, claiming our application was on hold because of a waiver application we never filed

9/02/16 Sent for supervisor review, six week timeframe given

9/13/16 Sent for "document review", whatever that is, told the timeframe is now indefinite

9/20/16 Contacted US Representative Adam Smith's office for assistance (WA)

9/26/16 3 N/As and Case Complete!

11/14/16 Interview: approved pending medical! (Vaccines hadn't been available)

11/19/16 Visa received in passport

12/09/16 POE Seattle

03/06/17 Green card received (address changed after POE, no problem)

5/2017 Our baby is due

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.