bhm

Denial of Citizenship

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a US citizen. My husband , a green card holder for 7 years, was denied citizenship based on "a false claim to US citizenship". He had inadvertently answered "Yes" to citizenship question in applying for a federal government job.

On the eve of his interview for US citizenship, and being excited that he will become a US citizen within a day, he applied for a federal job online and claimed he was a US citizen. This wss used as a basis of denial under "lack of good moral character".

I understand there is no waiver for this. Should he re-apply for citizenship? Will he open a can of worms if he re-applies and possibly be deported? Any possibility he may get US citizenship if he applies and explains his innocent mistake?

Would appreciate genuine and good feedback. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

How did they know he claimed to be a US Citizen? What was said to him after the interview? From what I understand he may be deported as it sits now because of his claim.

D.O. LOS ANGELES

Sent: I-130, I-485, I-765 to Chicago Lockbox 3/30/07

RD: 04/02/07

ND: 04/09/07

Received Receipts: 04/12/07

Received FP NOA: 04/16/07

FP Appointment: 05/03/07

LUD 485 & 765: 05/04/07

Received INTERVIEW NOA: 05/14/07

Interview Date: 7/13/07 @ 10:35 AM (CANCELLED BY USCIS! 6/20/07)

LUD 765: 6/13/07 (Card Production Ordered)

LUD 485 & 130: 6/20/07

LUD 485 & 130: 6/21/07

Received EAD: 6/22/07

New Interview Date: 7/31/07 @ 10:40 AM APPROVED!

That was unfortunate that it was only a day before he could become a citizen and made the mistake. But claiming citizenship on any form or id and you are not a citizen yet will definitely get denied.

I know someone that made the same mistake. I think the best step right now is consult a good immigration lawyer. I don't think this will get him deported if he reapplies. He's got a green card, he can renew it when it expires.

Hope someone here in VJ can provide more info.

Good Luck. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I thought a false claim of USC would automatically get you deported when you go to your N400 interview?

D.O. LOS ANGELES

Sent: I-130, I-485, I-765 to Chicago Lockbox 3/30/07

RD: 04/02/07

ND: 04/09/07

Received Receipts: 04/12/07

Received FP NOA: 04/16/07

FP Appointment: 05/03/07

LUD 485 & 765: 05/04/07

Received INTERVIEW NOA: 05/14/07

Interview Date: 7/13/07 @ 10:35 AM (CANCELLED BY USCIS! 6/20/07)

LUD 765: 6/13/07 (Card Production Ordered)

LUD 485 & 130: 6/20/07

LUD 485 & 130: 6/21/07

Received EAD: 6/22/07

New Interview Date: 7/31/07 @ 10:40 AM APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

How did they know he claimed to be a US Citizen? What was said to him after the interview? From what I understand he may be deported as it sits now because of his claim.

A logical conjecture would be that since he was applying for a federal government job and he answered yes to the US citizen, when DHS back checked his SSN and it bounced back as alien they probably flagged his file.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

FWIW, you can't claim to be a US Citizen even after the interview and approval until AFTER YOUR OATH CEREMONY.

He should expect to be put in removal proceedings shortly as that False Claim to US Citizenship will unravel his LPR Status also.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Lawyer time. A good one.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is indeed serious and you should pay for a consulate with one of the best lawyers you can afford ( actually they are sometimes cheaper that bad ones ) Hopefully it isn't a gloomy as stated but you are hearing from some very experienced members.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Not a good news at all. I agree with others members try to get a really good attorney, however since the claim was made to get a US Federal benefits such as Federal Job, there is no way to overturn it. There is no waiver for that, and most likely will result in deportation, and life time ban to enter US.

May be a good idea to start looking for possibilities to move with your husband to his country.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am a US citizen. My husband , a green card holder for 7 years, was denied citizenship based on "a false claim to US citizenship". He had inadvertently answered "Yes" to citizenship question in applying for a federal government job.

On the eve of his interview for US citizenship, and being excited that he will become a US citizen within a day, he applied for a federal job online and claimed he was a US citizen. This wss used as a basis of denial under "lack of good moral character".

I understand there is no waiver for this. Should he re-apply for citizenship? Will he open a can of worms if he re-applies and possibly be deported? Any possibility he may get US citizenship if he applies and explains his innocent mistake?

Would appreciate genuine and good feedback. Thanks.

Wow, if your field office has a same day oath, just a few hour premature, is he desperate to find a job? And filing online, know of some people that can really get into deep trouble with a computer. Like a 250,000 buck fine for sharing an MP3.

Can only suggest you contact your senators office and beg mercy for this mistake as you have put it. So close, but never ran into a government agency as is so strict on dates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

oh boy :unsure: this is double bad - not just did he falsely claim to be a US citizen, on top of that he lied about it - because he probably didn't answer "yes" to the question where they ask "did you ever claim to be a US citizen?". I don't see how this can be fixed. What is his home country? Hopefully it's a nice place, because chances are you'll be spending the rest of your life together there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Only an IJ can take away his GC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.