Sudowpa2

NC DMV Asking for my I-94 for Real ID.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just got back from the North Carolina DMV for my wife's ID Card. I wanted to get the real ID, but didn't get it because of the ignorance of immigration status and laws set.

There were two options. 

1. I-551 green card.

2. Valid, Unexpired Foreign Passport with unexpired visa and a I-94.

Because I have the Temp I-551 CR1 visa with the endorsement,  he was asking me for the I-94. I kept telling him that she didn't get one because the visa turns into a green card and isn't required for permanent residents.

So, now I have to wait for the physical green card just to prove I was right all along. They didn't take thr time to read the visa and what it had to say.

It gets so frustrating when government agencies don't talk to one another or people want to be incompetent and ignorant by not listening to the customer at hand.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

So annoying. I once had a Social Security employee tell me my kids wouldn’t need a US passport as children under 16 are not considered real US citizens and wouldn’t get one anyway. Not that we would need a SSN for a passport - it was just a random conversation. But seriously???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just had a read through the NC DmV info .. neither the temporary I 551 in the passport nor the I94 are acceptable for a REAL ID.   You should be ok getting a state ID.. But will need to wait for the GC to get a REAL ID 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It is just irritating that the government are the ones that set the rules and they can't seem to coordinate with anyone from all 50 states and say "doing this might cause issues for the new immigrant" red flag or something.

Here is the other issue. North Carolina issues their IDs and Driver's License from central location which is in Raleigh. So, they give you a paper copy of the card to show that you have registered with the state, but they also tell you that not many people will consider that a real ID card because it is only the paper copy. Companies have the right to refuse it and its a hit and miss when you try to use it.

They they told me that I might have a longer wait than usual because they have to process the refugees first and put the other visa classifications on the backburner. Not saying that refugees are not legal, but they should wait in line like everyone else. 

So, this is what I have to do. I mean its only a 45 minuet drive each way and it cost money and time each time you achieve a step.

1. Once I get the green card, then I have to go back to the DMV with the card to upgrade it to Real ID. 

2. I also have to get a new card when she wants to get her permit. So, the NC ID will be converted to the NC Driver's Permit.

3. Once she is done with the permit, then we have to go back and get the permit changed to a full fledged driver's license.

Each time this is done. You have to drive, spend money and time and actually wait weeks to get the physical copy in the mail each time.

He said that the state id without the real id will be fine. It is fine for her because she has a military dependent ID card she can use to fly. Also, they are not in a real big hurry to fix it because real ID doesn't go into affect till May 2025. My question would be.. what happens when May 2025 comes around and people are complaining about how insanely difficult it is to get something you should be entitled to in the first place coming in the legal way. You have already been vetted by the US Immigration and SSA.

DMV rules vary from state to state.  Here in Washington, only USCs can get Real ID, but drivers licenses are based on state residence, not immigrant status.  So undocumented people can get a non-biometric license and drive.

Edited by SalishSea

7 hours ago, Sudowpa2 said:

It is just irritating that the government are the ones that set the rules and they can't seem to coordinate with anyone from all 50 states and say "doing this might cause issues for the new immigrant" red flag or something.

The states make their own laws pertaining to state ID and driving.  Nothing federal about it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, Sudowpa2 said:

Just got back from the North Carolina DMV for my wife's ID Card. I wanted to get the real ID, but didn't get it because of the ignorance of immigration status and laws set.

Unfortunately, I will say you are the one not abreast with the law. Every state sets their own requirements for drivers license and IDs. Some States even issue EDL for REAL ID purposes which automatically eliminates everyone except USC.

REAL ID really is just for federal purposes so if NC won't accept your endorsed I-551 CR1 visa don't fret; just use the endorsed I-551 visa as it is for federal purposes because it was federally issued.

When your physical green card comes use that to then obtain NC REAL ID. 

Also worth repeating, your endorsed l-551 and/or physical green card are perfectly good to use for REAL ID purposes at the federal level because they are federally issued.

Edited by nastra30

19 hours ago, Sudowpa2 said:

There were two options. 

1. I-551 green card.

2. Valid, Unexpired Foreign Passport with unexpired visa and a I-94.

Because I have the Temp I-551 CR1 visa with the endorsement,  he was asking me for the I-94. I kept telling him that she didn't get one because the visa turns into a green card and isn't required for permanent residents.

So, now I have to wait for the physical green card just to prove I was right all along. They didn't take thr time to read the visa and what it had to say.

It gets so frustrating when government agencies don't talk to one another or people want to be incompetent and ignorant by not listening to the customer at hand.

It varies so much state to state. Your experience is the exact opposite to mine. I went last week to get my DL sorted (California) and the lady saw my temp i551 GC in passport (I actually have the card now anyway) and said do want the real ID too? That’s what I’d advise. 

so mine is being processed as real ID now, although I’d planned on using my GC as it anyway as mentioned above. 

12 hours ago, Cw1977 said:

It varies so much state to state. Your experience is the exact opposite to mine. I went last week to get my DL sorted (California) and the lady saw my temp i551 GC in passport (I actually have the card now anyway) and said do want the real ID too? That’s what I’d advise. 

so mine is being processed as real ID now, although I’d planned on using my GC as it anyway as mentioned above. 

California is very liberal. I bet the real ID will also have full term and not 1 year to match stamp expiry. At least when I got real ID renewed with 2 year GC, I got DL expiring after GC, which is not the case in many other states.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, OldUser said:

California is very liberal. I bet the real ID will also have full term and not 1 year to match stamp expiry. At least when I got real ID renewed with 2 year GC, I got DL expiring after GC, which is not the case in many other states.

My wife got her CA Real ID California Drivers Licence and my stepdaughter (9y/o at the time) got her CA Real ID DMV ID card within a month of arriving based on their endorsed visas.  In the case of my stepdaughter she received the card in a week.  It says 'Limited Term" on it, but the expiration date is CA full term, unrelated to her documents.  In the case of my wife her physical licence was delayed by 6 weeks as it passed through the very annoying and unresponsive "legal presence unit" in Sacramento and they did indeed verify her status.  But in the end she was issued a CA Real ID Driver's Licence with full validity the same as any citizen would get and no mention of anything related to status.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.