Rearviewmirror

N-400 January 2024 filers

460 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Getting ready to file my N400 in four weeks. I started the online application today and I'm already pleasantly surprised by how much easier it is than the physical I-751 filing. I had gone through and collected a lot of the information before (dates of travel, employment info from I-751 etc) and drafted the cover letter requesting joint interview if my I-751 is still processing.

Hoping this'll be a quick and smooth process compared to every other step of the way this far!

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It was absolutely easier and faster than the I-751 process for us.  Good luck. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The simplicity of the N-400 makes you think you're doing something incorrectly after struggling with the rest of immigration.  It is definitely a pleasant change of pace!  

Best of luck :) 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see a thread so started one. The boss submitted her N-400 today. She is ambivalent about citizenship but we got tired for the the I-751 to be processed (Sep 2021). The US passport will make it easier to travel to some places we want to visit anyway. Good luck to all.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

20 minutes later received NOA and Bio reuse. That's a good sign 😉

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

1 hour ago, Carpe Vinum said:

20 minutes later received NOA and Bio reuse. That's a good sign 😉

our I-751 is sent and we have a 48 month ext. tomorrow is the earliest date we can submit N-400 will submit it on Friday at the latest.

any info on the additional info to send would be great.  

3 hours ago, Jinky&Bob said:

our I-751 is sent and we have a 48 month ext. tomorrow is the earliest date we can submit N-400 will submit it on Friday at the latest.

any info on the additional info to send would be great.  

I just sent bank records showing joint accounts. Joint CD records. Beneficiary info to my TSP (401K) account.  Documentation showing that she is an Authorized User on my credit cards. The online application walks you through submitting most required documents.

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Happy New Year, all! I am very delayed in applying for citizenship, considering that I became eligible a little over a year ago, but I finally got it done yesterday and am relieved to get it out of the way. We included as evidence:

• Joint bank account statements from the beginning of our marriage until present (~6 years)
  • Birth certificate of our child
  • Documentation showing beneficiaries for our life insurance, retirement and brokerage accounts; shared health insurance plan with our child; and renter's insurance for our current home
  • Leases for all our residences in the time we've been married
  • IRS return transcripts from the past three years
  • Plus the necessary required documents: photo of front and back of green card, IRS return transcripts, proof of spouse's US citizenship

Got the NOA and the biometrics reuse notice very soon after filing, so we're now just sitting back and waiting for paper copies to arrive in the mailbox. Processing time for our location (San Diego, CA) is estimated 7 months for 5-year rule applicants (I am not; I am applying under the 3-year rule) at time of filing.

We just submitted and paid for the N-400 for wife, will this take care of every thing for 11 year old daughter also?

Daughter is a derivative of citizenship right?

I am sure there are others that have been through this.

Thank you for any help!

Edited by Jinky&Bob

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filed my N-400 online late last night, January 2nd. Quickly got a receipt notice and notice that they were reusing the biometrics they already had. I found this out through the My USCIS portal, is it usually the case that you don't get email notifications as well? I'm guessing they'll sent things in the mail like they did for my original K-1 Visa application. Plan to visit my family in less than 2 weeks, so hoping further notices will show up online as well.

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Filed late last night! Fingers crossed :)

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

Finally got around to submitting the N400 this week, after dragging my feet over it for the last two years.

Ive been a LPR since 01/24/2019, which puts me in the 90 day window of the 5 year rule. But I inadvertently submitted the application under the 3 year rule married to a US citizen, and went through the trouble of getting all the documentation uploaded. Turns out I could have saved myself the trouble if I had just picked the right option.

But now that the application is submitted, is there a formal way to reclassify yourself for the 5 year rule while the application is still being processed? I'd rather the final part of this process be as hassle free as I can make it, and looks like that should make the interview and the review process more straightforward.

Anyone with similar experience on this have any anecdotal knowledge on if and how I can make that change, short of redoing the entire application, which seems counter-intuitive at best?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just submitted my husband's N400 online. It was quick and easy and we've already gotten the receipt and biometric reuse update. Crossing our fingers the process is quick and easy. He's been here for 5 years now (we got married in Aug 2018) but 10 year GC took FOOOOOOREVER at Potomac. Just got that in July, so hoping this is smoother ❤️ Can't believe how long it's been since we started the whole K1 visa journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.