knightryda1

Adoption Visa Process (Merged Topics)

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

My wife and I have tried for a baby for years but we were unsuccessful.

Finally, we decided that we'd adopt a child to make him/her part of our family.

We went to our Homeland (Pakistan) and discussed the same with our families and one of my wife's sisters offered to adopt their daughter. 

Although, adoption is not possible we ended up with full guardianship (legally) of the child.

It'll be 2 full years in September/2023 since it became official.

We want to bring her to the states but we were wondering if we could get some advise on what to possibly do to make this a smooth process for the child and ourselves.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Crazy Cat

22 minutes ago, knightryda1 said:

Hi,

We went to our Homeland (Pakistan) and discussed the same with our families and one of my wife's sisters offered to adopt their daughter. 

Although, adoption is not possible we ended up with full guardianship (legally) of the child.

We want to bring her to the states but we were wondering if we could get some advise on what to possibly do to make this a smooth process for the child and ourselves.

Thank you in advance!

There is no path for her to immigrate to the US in this situation, unfortunately.  If you want to live with her as her parents, you will have to move home.

14 hours ago, knightryda1 said:

Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Hi. 

Unfortunately, your options are limited. You need for a full adoption to be completed. Not guardianship. Also, immigration from adoption is extremely strict and regulated. There are a number of requirements that the adopting parents must qualify for in order to immigrate an adopted child. 

Here are some resources for you to research. 
https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Adoption-Process/how-to-adopt/adopting-a-relative-for-immigration.html

There are 3 main requirements to note are:

1. The child be under the age of 16 when the adoption is complete.

2. The child be an orphan, abandoned, or the living bio parents must be legally deemed unfit to care for the child.

3. The adopting parents must spend 2 years in the child's country to care for them. 

Be advised that we see number 2 as the biggest hurdle for people wanting to immigrate children. Many times the child is one from a close relative or friend. Because the child is not orphaned, meaning they have living biological parents, immigration has restricted such processes. Simply having a relative or friend give you permission to adopt their child will not suffice. Not saying it is impossible, just that the process will be very difficult and the child immigrating will still not be guaranteed. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sisters child

Edited by Crazy Cat

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Adoption Visa Process (Merged Topics)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

****Same topics merged.  Please do not re-post****

-VJ Moderation

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

How long have you lived with the child. Were they an orphan?  

We adopted the child over 2 years ago. My wife would make multiple trips back home to live with the child. She's not an orphan. The adoption paper states that the child was handed over to us as the parents cannot take care of the child due to financial issues. My main concern at this point is to know the order in which I need to take all the steps to apply for her to come to the states.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, knightryda1 said:

We adopted the child over 2 years ago. My wife would make multiple trips back home to live with the child. She's not an orphan. The adoption paper states that the child was handed over to us as the parents cannot take care of the child due to financial issues. My main concern at this point is to know the order in which I need to take all the steps to apply for her to come to the states.

You said in your first post that you have not adopted the child but have guardianship.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 hours ago, Boiler said:

You said in your first post that you have not adopted the child but have guardianship.

I have the adoption documents that were revised at the court level to confirm the adoption is completed. Only thing I need is to bring her here. That's where I need guidance on a step by step process.

Who Can Adopt
Pakistan has no statute that provides for the adoption of children; thus there is no law setting forth age, residency, or marriage requirements. In general, adoptions are a community matter in Pakistan. People often opt for informal adoptions according to their faith, outside the Family Courts. Such informal adoptions do not meet the criteria set forth in the U.S. law for the issuance of an immigration visa to an adopted child. Prospective adoptive parents must comply with U.S. legal requirements in the I-600 process and applicable provisions of the Guardians and Wards Act of 1890 in Pakistan.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Intercountry-Adoption-Country-Information/Pakistan.html 

Source will also provide more details on who can be adopted, and how to adopt.  From the little you have said here, I am not too optimistic living in the USA together is a realistic project, but please let us know how things work out for your family.  Best of luck.

Timeline

What have you done so far to ensure you meet US requirements?

On 11/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, knightryda1 said:

You'll need a good lawyer with experience in adoption as it relates to immigration.  It isn't as simple as bringing over your own birth child.

Also, I don't think you are eligible since the child is not an orphan - adopting for financial reasons doesn't count.

As when you asked several months ago, I believe your best option would be to move back home if you want to adopt this child.

Edited by SalishSea

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.