Dawn2021

ONCE AGAIN, if you are travelling with/want to travel with an extension letter, please, PLEASE read this

10 posts in this topic

Your green card, and extension, permits you to re-enter the US. YOUR PASSPORT OF ORIGIN dictates the requirements of the country you are seeking to enter. PLEASE get whatever visa your PASSPORT OF ORIGIN requires for entry to that country.  

4 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

... That's sort of expected and known...

I do not understand and/or see what's the new piece of information you're sharing.

I think they are saying some countries still require a visa for LPRs. I know my wife being from the philippines still needed a visa to enter Italy at the time. I know Bermuda also lets you in as we visited there.

30 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

I think they are saying some countries still require a visa for LPRs. I know my wife being from the philippines still needed a visa to enter Italy at the time. I know Bermuda also lets you in as we visited there.

I think @Rocio0010 is pointing out this is a common knowledge? Outside of few exceptions for US LPRs, every country looks at the passport and doesn't really care about permanent residences elsewhere including the US.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

I think @Rocio0010 is pointing out this is a common knowledge? Outside of few exceptions for US LPRs, every country looks at the passport and doesn't really care about permanent residences elsewhere including the US.

Thanks

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Sukie said:

Sounds like someone got caught NOT knowing this, and just wants to post a cautionary tale.

Thanks, OP, for reminding this community.

Sukie in NY

I saw that episode on National Geographic "Catching A Smuggler / Border Control – Italy" taking place mainly in Rome Fiumicino airport (FCO) with that unfortunate Filipino young woman who just landed and was detained because she didn't have a proper Schengen visa. She was traveling with her U.S. citizen husband and they were to catch a cruise throughout the Mediterranean for their honeymoon.

She was a (probably conditional) green card holder with a Filipino passport and assumed that her green card would act as a visa. The Italian immigration police officer kindly explained to her that the green card is for U.S. only and bears no relevance in the E.U. and her Filipino passport required a Schengen visa.

Although sympathetic to her pleading, they still denied her entry and was put on a flight back to the U.S. where, in tears, she was reunited with her husband who consoled her.

It was a young couple who look nice and harmless, but well... dura lex sed lex. This is clearly a cautionary tale. Many people seem to think that a green card is the sesame that will open the door to the whole world in terms of travel...

Edited by VinnyH
typo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
6 minutes ago, VinnyH said:

I saw that episode on National Geographic "Catching A Smuggler / Border Control – Italy" taking place mainly in Rome Fiumicino airport (FCO) with that unfortunate Filipino young woman who just landed and was detained because she didn't have a proper Schengen visa. She was traveling with her U.S. citizen husband and they were to catch a cruise throughout the Mediterranean for their honeymoon.

She was a (probably conditional) green card holder with a Filipino passport and assumed that her green card would act as a visa. The Italian immigration police officer kindly explained to her that the green card is for U.S. only and bears no relevance in the E.U. and her Filipino passport required a Schengen visa.

Although sympathetic to her pleading, they still denied her entry and was put on a flight back to the U.S. where, in tears, she was reunited with her husband who consoled her.

It was a young couple who look nice and harmless, but well... dura lex sed lex. This is clearly a cautionary tale. Many people seem to think that a green card is the sesame that will open the door to the whole world in terms of travel...

Also, what surprised me the most was "how the hell was she able to board her flight into Rome from the U.S.?".

Clearly the airline that issued her the boarding pass without checking her eligibility (Schengen visa) was bearing the responsibility and it was a clear case of it being legitimately fined for this situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, VinnyH said:

I had to remember my high school Latin for that one, VinnyH.  That was over 50 years ago.....

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.