BadAmmoWitch

Balikbayan box question

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. Has anyone sent a balikbayan box to the Philippines recently? My wife and I are preparing to send our first balikbayan box to her family. At LBC, the lady said that we can have maximum 12 of each item. We have, for example, 15 bags of assorted chocolate (Snickers, Twix, etc). We also have 24 new Old Navy shirts of various styles and colors. Can we really only ship 12 of these bags of chocolate? Only 12 shirts?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

*edit for the mods: I tried to post this in the Philippines area, but I couldn't figure it out. Could you please move it there?

Edited by BadAmmoWitch
Mods

3 hours ago, BadAmmoWitch said:

Hello everyone. Has anyone sent a balikbayan box to the Philippines recently? My wife and I are preparing to send our first balikbayan box to her family. At LBC, the lady said that we can have maximum 12 of each item. We have, for example, 15 bags of assorted chocolate (Snickers, Twix, etc). We also have 24 new Old Navy shirts of various styles and colors. Can we really only ship 12 of these bags of chocolate? Only 12 shirts?

*edit for the mods: I tried to post this in the Philippines area, but I couldn't figure it out. Could you please move it there?

On 8/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, Mike E said:

So back to your question.

So a total of 6 people. In 2023 this would be $50,350 per year.

See https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

You should also read https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-september-2023.html

As you can see cases from 22APR07 or earlier are now being taken up. 

Some people will tell you;

2023 - 2007 = 16, so a 16 year wait. That is not realistitc.

* 5 years ago, cases from 08JAN05 or earlier were being taken up: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2018/visa-bulletin-for-september-2018.html . So in 5 years the date progressed 15 months. IOW 60 months of duration had 15 months of progress.

* what we are seeing is that even when a filing date becomes current, cases languish in NVC for years because a visa number is not really available. It appears the State department is manipulating the visa bulletin to show a more optimistic view.  

Thus a realistic wait estimate is 

(2023 - 2007) * 60/15 + 3 = 67 years. Assuming 3 percent annual inflation, you will need to earn 

50,350 * 1.03^67

= $364,832

Whether their kids will age out, depends on their age today. Looking at the date of filing chart for F4, it is 11 months ahead of the final action chart. So I would expect I-130 approval in (2023 - 2008) * 60/15 = 60 years. 64 - 60 = 4

21 - 4 = 17.

So any kid 17 or older will age out for sure. Kids under age 17 have a chance unless USCIS plays dirty and approves the I-130 too quickly.

12 hours ago, BadAmmoWitch said:

FYI, with chocolate will likely arrive in some sort of a melted state as these containers get hot during transit.

My wife sent approximately the contents of a small warehouse in 5 extra large balikbayan boxes simultaneously.  Apparently 5 boxes sent together constitutes "one shipment".  The paperwork was accomplished with all the precision, accuracy and attention to detail you would normally expect in the Philippines.  I don't speak Tagalog but I surmised the LBC driver who arrived to pick up the boxes was coaching my wife on what she could or could not write down on the paperwork. The short list I saw somehow nowhere near matched the sheer quantity of the boxes.  Even I was skeptical that shipment would go through without trouble as it seemed to somehow push the envelope little bit but lo and behold all 5 boxes appeared on the other side trouble free.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
16 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I have been sending BB boxes through LBC for almost 15 years. First bit of advice, ignore the person you spoke to at LBC. I have never asked or been told that I am limited to 12 of anything. But, if nothing else, say you are sending 36 shirts. List as 12 Boys shirts, 12 Mens shirts. 12 womens shirts. See what I mean? The do not check your boxes anyway. I have sent many things that I either did not list or listed incorrectly. For chocolates, the best deal is the big bag at Costco. I don't know how you can 15 of those in a single bb box. I have sent computers, laptops, cash, jewelry, etc. and never had a problem. If you list them they will want to charge you extra. Bottom line is no one is going to open your box and search it.

This is great info, thank you very much. 

7 hours ago, IWander said:

FYI, with chocolate will likely arrive in some sort of a melted state as these containers get hot during transit.

Yeah, I guess that's one of the downsides.

3 hours ago, top_secret said:

My wife sent approximately the contents of a small warehouse in 5 extra large balikbayan boxes simultaneously.  Apparently 5 boxes sent together constitutes "one shipment".  The paperwork was accomplished with all the precision, accuracy and attention to detail you would normally expect in the Philippines.  I don't speak Tagalog but I surmised the LBC driver who arrived to pick up the boxes was coaching my wife on what she could or could not write down on the paperwork. The short list I saw somehow nowhere near matched the sheer quantity of the boxes.  Even I was skeptical that shipment would go through without trouble as it seemed to somehow push the envelope little bit but lo and behold all 5 boxes appeared on the other side trouble free.

Understood. Thank you for your response.

6 hours ago, top_secret said:

We shipped more than 60 boxes last year in individual shipments of 10 to 13 boxes at a time.  Absolutely no declaration of contents was given.  All arrived without a hitch.

If there is one thing notable that Duterte did was eliminated the cusoms holdup for anything other than prohibited items.  Also , If they want to open a box, it now must be done in the presence of the sender or receiver.

We currently have 17 boxes in transit with another 6 being packed up for shipping in October.

Edited by IWander

Timeline
4 hours ago, Adventine said:

All these balikbayan box stories bring back memories. Many years ago, when I was a kid, we received a BB box at our house. The delivery driver was so excited for us, he was yelling in Filipino, "Balikbayan box! Balikbayan box is here!" My mom promptly told him to shut up. She was thinking about all the neighbors who would get excited and invite themselves over for ahem, "a look" at our package. 😂

I can totally see my wife's family going through this. When we had her despedida/engagement party, it seemed like the entire town showed up.

Timeline
1 hour ago, IWander said:

We shipped more than 60 boxes last year in individual shipments of 10 to 13 boxes at a time.  Absolutely no declaration of contents was given.  All arrived without a hitch.

If there is one thing notable that Duterte did was eliminated the cusoms holdup for anything other than prohibited items.  Also , If they want to open a box, it now must be done in the presence of the sender or receiver.

We currently have 17 boxes in transit with another 6 being packed up for shipping in October.

Wow, you might be the biggest goods importer in the province. What kind of goods do you send? How do you handle labeling the items on the packing slip?

31 minutes ago, BadAmmoWitch said:

Wow, you might be the biggest goods importer in the province. What kind of goods do you send? How do you handle labeling the items on the packing slip?

The two shippers we use do not require a packing list.  We go there respective websites, print the shipping label and that's it.

We ship lots of things.  We built a house so we shipped household items, clothing, food stuff, gifts, etc.  My wife is also an online seller, so she ships anything she has sold.  

Last year I sent 36 XLarge BB boxes.  It was anywhere from 3 to 12 at a time.  What was utterly amazing was that all 38 arrived to the Central Visayas unmolested and unopened.

My wife used simple, over broad, general categories.  She used "Kitchenwares," "Home Decor," "Shoes," etc.

My suggestion is to pick an overarching bland generic term to label your stuff.  Nobody is going to care.  I would suggest that you do not itemize.  Itemization will probably give you nothing but grief.

Finally done.

21 hours ago, IWander said:

I have sent chocolate in every BB box I have sent in the last 15 years, Never once has it been melted.

We sent off massive Balikbayan Boxes and none of the chocolate melted . . . and leftover Halloween candy arrives in time for christmas!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.