Don0

Torn if wait for i751 or apply for n400..

40 posts in this topic

Thank you for everyone's input. 😊

I was thinking about possibilities and looking through timelines last night. Though it is a slim chance, if it does come in early, I would need to get my passport before I could fly, so that is another thing, I might not be able to get it done in time for the wedding. I will be in Sacramento FO so I believe they are one of the slowest so I dunno, this is confusing..

Edited by Don0

9 minutes ago, Don0 said:

Thank you for everyone's input. 😊

I was thinking about possibilities and looking through timelines last night. Though it is a slim chance, if it does come in early, I would need to get my passport before I could fly, so that is another thing, I might not be able to get it done in time for the wedding. I will be in Sacramento FO so I believe they are one of the slowest so I dunno, this is confusing..

WoM on I-751 is a possible solution.

7 minutes ago, Don0 said:

@Mike Esuggested it too. Looked into it and wow, it costs a lot that I can't spare right now.. 😔

I believe the filing fee is under $500.

You don't have to pay over $5000 for a lawyer, it can be done yourself:

Either way, your I-751 can be approved between now and year or two away.

If you don't have urgency to naturalize such as:

- Wanting to sponsor parents, kids etc for GC

- Wanting to take a job requiring US citizenship

- Needing to travel overseas or move there for a year or more

then you can just live with conditional GC and extension letter until USCIS makes a decision.

28 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I believe the filing fee is under $500.

You don't have to pay over $5000 for a lawyer, it can be done yourself:

Either way, your I-751 can be approved between now and year or two away.

If you don't have urgency to naturalize such as:

- Wanting to sponsor parents, kids etc for GC

- Wanting to take a job requiring US citizenship

- Needing to travel overseas or move there for a year or more

then you can just live with conditional GC and extension letter until USCIS makes a decision.

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know. 

And yeah, I don't have any plans for those. But my fear is being outside of the country and a physical mail comes in about my pending RoC or a schedule for interview. Does is give me enough time to fly back for the interview like the n400 does? I have usps informed delivery but it's not always reliable..

13 minutes ago, Don0 said:

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know. 

And yeah, I don't have any plans for those. But my fear is being outside of the country and a physical mail comes in about my pending RoC or a schedule for interview. Does is give me enough time to fly back for the interview like the n400 does? I have usps informed delivery but it's not always reliable..

Yes, there's definitely a risk of you missing the interview and getting denied.

Usually you're supposed to have an interview letter and case status update. Usually USCIS gives a few weeks notice.

That said, you never know when you're going to be approved or called for an interview. I watched cases around mine. Some were approved in November 2022. In January-February it got quiet. My friend got approved in May 2023.

I had 2 trips between November 2022 and August 2023 when I got approved.

I would've missed those trips for no reason. Was there a risk? Yes. Was it that big? No. If you only travel for 2-3 weeks, you should be OK.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, YecaCruz said:

echoing what many others are stating. File the N400 to get that process going since that is your ultimate goal. You'll have at least a month's notice if not more between receiving the notification and the interview. You'll also be able to see the interview notice from your USCIS account in case you are out thus you'd be able to plan accordingly and fly back.

The only issue as @Mike E pointed out is what happens if the I751 is denied while the person is outside the country.  The OP needs to weigh that potential based on their own I751 submission as there is not enough information in this thread for others to have an opinion on that.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Yes, there's definitely a risk of you missing the interview and getting denied.

Usually you're supposed to have an interview letter and case status update. Usually USCIS gives a few weeks notice.

That said, you never know when you're going to be approved or called for an interview. I watched cases around mine. Some were approved in November 2022. In January-February it got quiet. My friend got approved in May 2023.

I had 2 trips between November 2022 and August 2023 when I got approved.

I would've missed those trips for no reason. Was there a risk? Yes. Was it that big? No. If you only travel for 2-3 weeks, you should be OK.

I have the Lawfully app which notifies me of any case status updates. Hopefully that helps me. 

And yeah, I was planning on a 45 day trip since the travel fees are expensive but if it's too risky, there's no problem shortening it. I'm praying I get no interview though. I know it's expected for cr1 filers but I have seen in our May 2022 filers thread that cr1 filers have been given the 10 yr gc without an interview! Wishful thinking..

38 minutes ago, Don0 said:

I have the Lawfully app which notifies me of any case status updates. Hopefully that helps me. 

And yeah, I was planning on a 45 day trip since the travel fees are expensive but if it's too risky, there's no problem shortening it. I'm praying I get no interview though. I know it's expected for cr1 filers but I have seen in our May 2022 filers thread that cr1 filers have been given the 10 yr gc without an interview! Wishful thinking..

WoM is the only solution that gives you some certainty. If you file N-400 nothing stops USCIS scheduling your interview when you're out of the US.

WoM forces them to give you a decision within 60 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 hours ago, mari04 said:

Nowadays, they do not process i751 until you file n400. It seems like it for sure

My 751 was processed completely independent from my N400

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

One more factor to consider: if you do file N400, current estimates (depending on field office), you will be looking at around ~7-9 months. What if you get your combo interview in May? Upon approval, the interviewing officer will take your green card away. Now you can't travel until you get a U.S. passport, which could take another month or two (if not more, since you have to get all the documents proving your citizenship first). You will miss your sibling's wedding because you will be stuck in the US.

How likely is for this to happen right before your travel? I reckon about as likely as getting the i-751 denied while abroad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

My 751 was processed completely independent from my N400

I interpreted the comment you are replying to as saying N-400 can trigger I-751 approval. I do believe, even if you do not, that your pending N-400 accelerated your I-751.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Don0 said:

@Mike Esuggested it too. Looked into it and wow, it costs a lot that I can't spare right now.. 😔

The link I provided you says it costs $402.

16 hours ago, Mike E said:

Seems important. File N-400 in July 2024.

File a WoM now to get I-751 approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, 854Turbo said:

One more factor to consider: if you do file N400, current estimates (depending on field office), you will be looking at around ~7-9 months. What if you get your combo interview in May? Upon approval, the interviewing officer will take your green card away. Now you can't travel until you get a U.S. passport, which could take another month or two (if not more, since you have to get all the documents proving your citizenship first). You will miss your sibling's wedding because you will be stuck in the US.

How likely is for this to happen right before your travel? I reckon about as likely as getting the i-751 denied while abroad.

They don't take the greencard at the interview, only at the oath. If your interview is close to the travel date, you ask to have the oath ceremony scheduled at a later date. A lot of Swedes in the FB group I'm in have requested to have their oath ceremonies scheduled after they come back from their vacation - I haven't yet seen a case where there was an issue with that. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.